Summer - Winter Keeper League Chat

Postby JOSEPHKENDALL » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:42 pm

Who is the commish for this league?
JOSEPHKENDALL

Postby JOSEPHKENDALL » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:47 pm

Based on these rules from the original thread, Chris Carpenter would be considered a prospect. Is that what is really meant for a prospect, or is there more information around it as kaviksdad stated?

PROSPECT DRAFT
1) After the initial draft and after each year's annual free agent draft, there will be a four round prospect draft.
2) Each team will be able to select 4 prospects, defined as any player who: a) DID NOT RECEIVE A CARD for the current season; b) does not appear on TSN's website; and c) is the property of an MLB team. In other words, no, those who have not yet signed as of the start of that year's draft are not eligible for the prospect draft.
3) The initial prospect draft is serpentine. Draft order for the initial prospect draft will be the reverse of the draft order for the initial free agent draft. All subsequent prospect drafts are non-serpentine, with draft order based on the final win/loss records of the previous season: Reverse order, worst-record first, NFL style.
4) Owners lose rights to all prospects they release. Released prospects are eligible to be drafted as either a) free agents if they are issued SOM cards or b) prospects again, if they are not issued SOM cards for the current season.
5) There is no clock for round 1 of each prospect draft. All subsequent rounds will operate with a 2-hour clock, as in the initial draft.
6) Individual owners are responsible for their own prospect research.
JOSEPHKENDALL

Postby Sknsfan » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:20 am

[quote:4b4bb0c8ef]Based on these rules from the original thread, Chris Carpenter would be considered a prospect. Is that what is really meant for a prospect, or is there more information around it as kaviksdad stated? [/quote:4b4bb0c8ef]

Wow - based on this, i think it's an even stronger argument to hold the Prospect Draft after the Spring FA Draft. Otherwise we shrink the pot even more!

Now it's up to my 4 cents. :wink:
Sknsfan

Postby tcochran » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:04 am

Hi all, I'm the commish for this one. I wrote the prospect draft rules as a way to let those at the bottom of the initial draft order have a shot at the best players not available in the current player set.

On the other hand, I have no problem if a super-majority of 8 managers wishes to cancel this first prospect draft. Let's put it to a vote: Shall we have a prospect draft immediately following the initial player draft? YES or NO?

1. KNIGHT
2. tcochran - YES
3. Mike Lopp
4. Lumbercompanysouth
5. joekendall
6. TomPierce
7. dreamingtree#41
8. PracticalDoc
9. kaviksdad
10. Sknsfan - NO
11. JMP1
12. Hk Mossy
tcochran

No reply from draft site tech support

Postby tcochran » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:31 am

You guys are killin' me here.

Pick #286 was made last night at 21:10. I was next up and should have had a 2-hour window from 21:10-22:00 last night and then from 10:00-11:10 this morning.

Because of the draft site goofies, picks #288 and 289 were allowed last night, at 01:29 and 01:30. And then after that, the site said I had until 10:30 to make pick #290 !

Luckily, I have no use for Dobbs or Pudge in this league, so I made my picks and we're good to go.

I've had no response yet from draft site tech support, so I just sent another email that way. Until we get those goofy time limits fixed, however, I would ask everybody to be conscious of the actual clock and not just the one that shows up on the site.

Thanks!
tcochran

Postby JOSEPHKENDALL » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:27 am

On the other hand, I have no problem if a super-majority of 8 managers wishes to cancel this first prospect draft. Let's put it to a vote: Shall we have a prospect draft immediately following the initial player draft? YES or NO?

1. KNIGHT
2. tcochran - YES
3. Mike Lopp
4. Lumbercompanysouth
5. joekendall - YES
6. TomPierce
7. dreamingtree#41
8. PracticalDoc
9. kaviksdad
10. Sknsfan - NO
11. JMP1
12. Hk Mossy
JOSEPHKENDALL

Postby kaviksdad » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:58 am

1. KNIGHT
2. tcochran - YES
3. Mike Lopp
4. Lumbercompanysouth
5. joekendall - YES
6. TomPierce
7. dreamingtree#41
8. PracticalDoc
9. kaviksdad - NO
10. Sknsfan - NO
11. JMP1
12. Hk Mossy

As far as Chris Carpenter goes, he is not a prospect! He has MLB service for a number of years already. [b:c8b2f6c5d9]Prospects cannot have any MLB service prior to the current 2009 season.[/b:c8b2f6c5d9]

In no league I've ever participated in has any player with any prior years MLB service be considered a prospect.
kaviksdad

Postby tcochran » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:19 am

[quote:d4a740dc59="kaviksdad"]As far as Chris Carpenter goes, he is not a prospect! He has MLB service for a number of years already. [b:d4a740dc59]Prospects cannot have any MLB service prior to the current 2009 season.[/b:d4a740dc59]

In no league I've ever participated in has any player with any prior years MLB service be considered a prospect.[/quote:d4a740dc59]

Hey KD, I thought I was old guy whose memory was likely to fade!

In the Finders Keepers League, Carpenter was pick #4. In fact, you selected Jeff Niemann as your last prospect pick, even though he had 16 IP in 2008.

I borrowed the prospect section of the rules for SWKL from the Finders Keepers' ones that you and I both used there. As with the fact of the draft itself, however, I would be happy to go along with a super majority of 8 managers who wanted to change this rule, too.

Let's see how the YES/NO prospect draft vote comes out and then we can tackle this question, too, okay?
tcochran

Postby JMP1 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:19 am

I drafted my team thinking I would get one of the top two picks in the prospect draft. Since I know there are a few good rookie pitchers I went with a few veterans who may only be good for one year, knowing I could get a replacement in the prospect draft. That's with or without Carpenter included.

I thought it was a good way to balance out the fact that those of us at the end of the first round did not have a chance at guys like Pujols, Texiera and Sabbathia. Having a shot at Weiters, Hanson and the rest of the rookie crop provides some balance in a keeper league.

If we cancel the prospect draft we play the new set without a great set of rookies. Some of the players who qualify as rookies had just enough service time to get cards in last year's set. Others did not.

If you want to exclude guys like Carpenter that's OK with me. But excluding players who qualify as rookies will water down the new card set.

Finally, I think we need to be careful to change rules after we got started as some may make moves based on the current rules at the time.
JMP1

Postby JMP1 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:21 am

1. KNIGHT
2. tcochran - YES
3. Mike Lopp
4. Lumbercompanysouth
5. joekendall - YES
6. TomPierce
7. dreamingtree#41
8. PracticalDoc
9. kaviksdad - NO
10. Sknsfan - NO