Exactly the team I wanted

Our historical single season sets

Exactly the team I wanted

Postby Jake Squid » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:36 pm

Here's my best team so far:
http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/team/team_other.html?user_id=370040

I got almost everybody on my draft list. I did not get Rickey (got Yount), Robby Thompson (Gantner), McGaffigan (Show) or B Martinez (Stefero). I was able to pick up Martinez a few games in and I replaced Yount w/ Webster and Gantner w/ Whitaker. So this was almost exactly the team I intended it to be and it performed a little better than I had expected. I started keeping injury risks out with between 15 and 9 games to go since I'd already clinched home field.

2nd in runs scored, 2nd in runs allowed.
1st in HR and SLG
1st in hits allowed, CG & SHO
MVP & Cy Young

Same hitting performance vs LHP and RHP within a few percentage points and my pitching was pretty even, too.

It's as close to a perfect team as I expect to get in an $80 league.
Jake Squid

Postby apolivka » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:57 pm

Nice team there. Not much I would have changed on that team, and the pre-season moves were right on the mark. Got lucky with Vida, but that's probably the only guy who really played way over his head.

Because I always have to say something, I've never liked Willingham at all. I usually think the extra money for Nixon, Cangelosi or Devon White is usually worth it for a backup OF for a high injury guy. But, you did get 630 PAs from Lynn, so I guess you didn't need it!
apolivka

Postby Jake Squid » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:52 pm

Blue was used as a reliever for a couple of extra long extra innings games and then he had 6 starts against teams that couldn't hit lefties and one final start to set up my rotation for the playoffs.

I'm not much for Winningham, either, but he probably only got about 40 meaningful at bats. When Lynn went down I just shifted Webster to center and used Lawless against LHP. Plus the lineup was so powerful it didn't really matter if I had a guy who couldn't hit in there. If I'd really been concerned about a backup OF I would've gone w/ someone else.

I know everybody considers Lynn a high injury guy but he's only got a 2 injury roll. Sure he can be out for 15 games, but with a 2 injury I'll take that chance every time. I was a lot more concerned with Lance Parrish. That's why I didn't start him for the last 15 games.
Jake Squid

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: 1969, 1986, 1999