Ninth inning Comebacks

Our historical single season sets

Ninth inning Comebacks

Postby mightyquinnj » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:32 am

While I play in a hitter friendly park and have a slew of pitiful relief pitchers, except one, I expect and have experienced my share of comebacks and late game heroics from both squads, mine and the others, yet I have never seen a comeback like the one that occurred last night.

I have had opponents, so far, comeback in the ninth from 2 runs, comeback from 4 runs down in the ninth to knot up the score and force extra frames, but never, ever have I seen a team come back from [b:62f767b0d2]14[/b:62f767b0d2] runs down in the 9th to tie up the game. I was winning 19-5 with 3 outs left and lost the game!!!!!

I am calling BS on this! But before I do, I have to ask: Has there been a larger deficit overcome than down 14 runs in the ninth, in SOM or in the entire history of MLB? I am talking the ninth inning only. I think not and I will only believe it when I see it.

OK. Now I proceed with the expletives; This is complete and utter BS! Seriously, WTF!

Quinn J. McCormick :evil:

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/1969/league/boxscore.html?group_id=14242&g_id=204
mightyquinnj

Postby GFDWARF07 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:35 pm

Ouch! When Held grounded out for the 2nd out you still has a 10 RUN lead! I have seen 9 scored in the ninth, but never double digits, let alone 14 runs. This is an amazing game. The dice must've been smokin'!

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_was_the_largest_9th_inning_comeback_in_baseball_history

Looks like 9 is the real MLB record (three times!).

Can you imagine watching this game on the replay feature??? Would have been excruciating.
GFDWARF07

Postby KEVINEHLE » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:53 pm

Man, I don't think I would be angry about losing a 19-2 lead going into the 8th inning... I would be mesmerized and numb and say "wow", I was part of history. I doubt this record will EVER be beaten in real life, Strato, or anywhere else.

Carlos line is pretty interesting: 1/3 IP, 6H, 3HR, 10R......ZERO Earned Runs.
What's even more amazing to me is that Ellie Hendricks could drive in 11 runs in a game.

Thanks for sharing such a crazy game! I would post this out on the main page.

Kev
KEVINEHLE

Postby franky35 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:19 am

In general, I think I've seen more comebacks with 2 outs in the 9th, than I would think would occur randomly. But nothing close to that comeback. Wow.
franky35

Could have been worse.

Postby TallEd » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:05 am

Mind boggling. The only way this ending could have been more frustrating would have been to watch this comeback unfold 1 batter at a time on Game Replay. A feature that will be available to the 1969 set once the site revamp is complete.
TallEd

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: 1969, 1986, 1999