1969 Theme League:Small Market w/ Franchise Players-Drafting

Our historical single season sets

Preseason moves

Postby TallEd » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:03 pm

I concur that any changes should be unanimous. Taking your response as a no the final decision on preseason moves is that it will remain no moves.

The original idea was to feel the pain of the cap, and make the draft decisions of the supporting casts take on a great deal of importance. It certainly has made me feel the pain as I struggle to put together a pitching staff.

Glad you are enjoying the experience, and hope you will consider joining us again.

Ed
TallEd

Postby hackra » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:29 pm

Do trades occur much in the 1969 game?

They are an everyday thing in Fantasim and very rare in ATG in my experience.

My initial question was intending to ask if trade discussions were appropriate during the draft (I understand that the answer was no). My thought being that trades would be very difficult given the price point and the 20% penalty unless you planned ahead and saved some $ to accomodate potential trades.

perhaps a strategy point....
eg.... you could put a couple of $0.50 players you had no use for on your roster and keep the $ you planned to reserve for the trade. Then when the $0.50 guys were cut to make roster space you would only lose $100k apiece in the roster moves after game 3 as opposed to the 20% needed to free up cash to make the trade.

at this point I do not plan to employ this strategy, but was thinking about it when I posted the original question.

As you can see, and my wife will attest, I spend way too much time cogitating on Strat-o-matic. :oops:
hackra

Postby TallEd » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:41 pm

The tightness against the cap will make trades very difficult. A point of clarification, when trades are made strat site does not impose a cap penalty. The 20% cap hit only gets applied to drop adds during the season. Its main purpose is to keep Mgrs. from switching players on a series by series basis to get better matchups, as well as give the initial team selection some importance.

However trades do happen if the money issue can be balanced. having cap room makes that easier as players values won't have to be nearly exact to execute a trade.
TallEd

Postby BrotherA4him » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:02 pm

I think the offense in this league is going to be surprising.
BrotherA4him

Postby LMBombers » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:17 pm

hacra - The way I plan for a live draft like this is to fill out a 25 man roster (in pencil) on a piece of paper that will fit under the cap. Then I draft players in order of suspected interest by other teams or of importance to my strategy. As some of my proposed players are snagged by other teams I erase them and either replace them with someone else or possibly reshuffle multiple positions downgrading that position and upgrading elsewhere, etc.

You can also do this in excel instead of paper and pencil but you get my point. If you do this you are never in danger of not having enough money at the end of a draft.
LMBombers

Postby hackra » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:37 pm

Thanks LM

That is sort of how I was going about it.

What I did was buy a team, filled out the draft list, and have been deleting players from the list when those initial picks left for other teams. Then I research the available options and reshuffle my team to what is possible. I have no idea who the other managers will pick, so that kind of anticipation is beyond my current skill.

I have now figured out how to set multiple proxies for the slots I want filled, but will likely have to make my last 2-3 picks manually to deal with salary inconsistencies with my proxies.
hackra

Postby Rick Smith » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:08 pm

Gentlemen,

I had to be away all day Saturday so I set enough proxies to finish out the draft. To my chagrin Frankie and UGrant took just about all of them.

I hit the wrong button and drafted Jim Hardin. I would appreciate someone approving the drop of this player.

Thanks

Rick Smith
Rick Smith

Drop

Postby TallEd » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:21 pm

Looks like someone approved the drop. I will wait for you to repick before continiueing.
TallEd

Postby TallEd » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:25 pm

[quote:6f84795f56="Poppa Rock"]I think the offense in this league is going to be surprising.[/quote:6f84795f56]

Yea I agree. Especially when playing against me I'm afraid. So far my staff of RHP is looking pretty suspect.
TallEd

End is near

Postby TallEd » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:58 pm

It looks like the draft should conclude today. I think we are stuck because Poppa ran out of his supply of autopicks and as soon as he notices we will probably finish soon after that. (unless it happens to someone else) Check your lists because the .50 choices are going fast.

Once the draft is over I will post when ready to go on the strat site. Hackra, if you have any ? about how that works, especially getting into the appropriate division, let us know.

? to anyone who has set up the league on strat. I have not done it before and was curious how to do it without placing myself in the East Division. I suspect I will have to start the league then drop out and wait to reenter at the correct time. If that is correct, will I need to refill my autodraft?
TallEd

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: 1969, 1986, 1999