Theme League: Another Man's Treasure: Draft Thread

Our historical single season sets

Theme League: Another Man's Treasure: Draft Thread

Postby franky35 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:23 pm

We are nearly done with the nominating phase and are nearly ready to move onto the draft. Phew! The nominating phase turned out to be a little more complicated than I thought, but we got through it.

As a reminder, here are league rules for the Draft:
Each team will be made up of 2 superstars and 23 nominated players. At any time during the SOM draft, you can draft your 2 superstars (one pitcher and one hitter). You must draft 15 hitters (including at least 2 catchers) and 10 pitchers (including at least 5 who can start). Remember, you cannot draft any of the players you nominated.
Draft is on somdraft site league name "Trash69"

Divisions will be based on team salary with the East being the high salary teams, West the lowest. League Cap is 60 mil, unless someone manages to draft higher, then we'll move to 80 (I really doubt anyone can draft over 60 mil).

League Play - after the draft is finished:
no free agent moves;
roster size must stay at 25
unlimited trades, but superstars can't be traded.
franky35

Postby franky35 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:31 pm

A couple other comments.

There is an overabundance of catchers, so there may be some team that gets stuck with 4 or 5 catchers. Don't say you weren't warned.

I will have excluded from the draft all of the low salary players that were not nominated. However, I have left in all the potential superstars. That means, for example, that Rod Carew is available to draft - but he would count as your one superstar hitter. So, when you are looking at the draft board, keep in mind that all of the expensive players are superstars and you can only draft 1 superstar hitter and 1 superstar pitcher.

All the nominated players are listed in the Nomination Thread - so check that thread if you're not sure if a player counts as a superstar.
franky35

Postby Rick Smith » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:51 pm

Before we start to draft I think it is important that we establish a salary cap of $60M.

Also I recommend going to the strat-o-matic.com web site, clicking on the 50th anniversary celebration and give it some thought. It will be held in New York City on Sat. Feb. 12. I have some frequent flyer miles that I am going to use. If anyone else from this fine group plans on attending we should get together.

Rick
Rick Smith

Postby GFDWARF07 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:39 am

Please see my post in the other thread. Many of you have my e-mail. Through Thursday this week someone please e-mail me when I am up and I will do my best tog et online and pick. Thanks!
GFDWARF07

Postby MIKEARCHAMBAULT » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:18 am

I've never used the draft feature. Someone will have to guide me to the site, and how to log in...Mike
MIKEARCHAMBAULT

salary cap

Postby franky35 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:51 pm

If the majority of owners want a hard 60 mil salary cap, I'll go along with that.

However, my vote is for a soft cap for the following reasons. First, the league is complicated enough without adding in one more thing that owners have to think about. Second, if you looks at the list of available players you'll see that our teams will be stocked with very low value players, and free agent moves are prohibited, so we don't need a cap. Third, I calculate that average team salaries will be about 57 mil and it would be very hard to exceed 60 mil, I figure if someone can figure a way to exceed 60 mil, God bless'em. Fourth, if a higher cap gives a team an advantage (and I don't think it does in this format) that team will be in the East division with the other high salary teams. Fifth, we had discussed this on the Boards and the soft cap became part of the rules.

The bottom line is, I favor a soft 60 mil cap (raised only if a team manages to draft above 60 mil); however, if the majority wants a hard 60 mil cap, then that will be the rule.
franky35

Postby ggrover15 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:08 pm

i agree.. Should be no cap. If someone is able to go over 60 mill good for them.
ggrover15

Postby G_MONEY » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:40 pm

[quote:cfb1462165="RickSmith"]Before we start to draft I think it is important that we establish a salary cap of $60M.

Also I recommend going to the strat-o-matic.com web site, clicking on the 50th anniversary celebration and give it some thought. It will be held in New York City on Sat. Feb. 12. I have some frequent flyer miles that I am going to use. If anyone else from this fine group plans on attending we should get together.

Rick[/quote:cfb1462165]

I live in Manhattan, thanks for hipping me to this event!
G_MONEY

Re: Theme League: Another Man's Treasure: Draft Thread

Postby G_MONEY » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:40 pm

[quote:3df8c3ba58="franky35"]We are nearly done with the nominating phase and are nearly ready to move onto the draft. Phew! The nominating phase turned out to be a little more complicated than I thought, but we got through it.

As a reminder, here are league rules for the Draft:
Each team will be made up of 2 superstars and 23 nominated players. At any time during the SOM draft, you can draft your 2 superstars (one pitcher and one hitter). You must draft 15 hitters (including at least 2 catchers) and 10 pitchers (including at least 5 who can start). Remember, you cannot draft any of the players you nominated.
Draft is on somdraft site league name "Trash69"

Divisions will be based on team salary with the East being the high salary teams, West the lowest. League Cap is 60 mil, unless someone manages to draft higher, then we'll move to 80 (I really doubt anyone can draft over 60 mil).

League Play - after the draft is finished:
no free agent moves;
roster size must stay at 25
unlimited trades, but superstars can't be traded.[/quote:3df8c3ba58]

Can you trade for a player you nominated??
G_MONEY

Postby chunga1 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:12 pm

can we do f/a moves up to game one or what we draft we must keep?
chunga1

Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: 1969, 1986, 1999