1969 Community - acts of kindness

Our historical single season sets

1969 Community - acts of kindness

Postby GFDWARF07 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:45 pm

There are a dedicated few individuals that make up the majority of our 1969 leagues and I wanted to take a minute to offer my thanks to them for making this TSN Strat online experience much more fun and interesting. Though few of us will ever challenge the "big boys" in terms of ranking, we have found in the 1969 game a very fun diversion that takes us back to the amazing summer of '69 day-in and day-out.

I have played this game since 2007 and have had a chance to get to know a few of the regulars and found many kind souls amongst them.

My first act of kindness was from Risden. Bob shared with me all the spreadsheets and did some hand-holding through my first live drafts. He has several times proxied picks for me when I was away tending to real life and is someone, even though we have never met, that I consider a good friend. We have a future promise of trading a day at Target Field for one at the home of his beloved Sox. 8-)

Franky is a very challenging opponent in any league, as many of us can attest. But he is also a kind soul. When I was laid off from my job a few months back I had shared that news via a draft thread we had going. A couple days later I received the gift of a strat team credit from him, out of the blue. Times are a little better now and Franky continues to be a great strat buddy and a real student of the '69 game. And someone that you hate to see in your division! :)

ugrant has more league experience than many of us put together, but through a variety of drafts, e-mails and other interactions, I have found him to be the consummate gentleman. A military veteran and a man of honor. He is always a great guy to have in a league.

AllStarInc. came upon the game shortly after I did and is still the only guy I have ever played with that called to introduce himself to me. Since that time, we have covered each others' backs many times and become good buddies, at least for a friend from Philly. :P Bill is a professional sports agent and represents several of the players represented in the '69 set.

rjnewman is a young hotshot in terms of our leagues. He and his buddy GordieHowe came to us a year or two ago and soon started to dominate us in many leagues. Last summer, after meeting a boyhood hero of mine (Tony Oliva) for the first time and sharing the story with a few of you, Rich sent me a message that he wanted my address because he wanted to send me something. A couple days later I received an original press photo of Harmon Killebrew back in his early days with the old Senators. Wow, what a gesture.

ehlekev and I live in the same town and root for the same teams, and again, have never met. He has been kind hearted and we are always on the lookout for Twins tickets for each other and hope to take in a game together in a future season.

Recently RickSmith shared that he was attending a conference where Jim Bouton was speaking. I replied that I owened a first edition copy of [i:877a906319]Ball Four[/i:877a906319] and would love to have it signed someday. Rick sent me his address and said send it - I will get Bouton to sign it. The next week I get a package in the mail with my booked enscribed with "To Dan: Smoke 'em inside, Jim Bouton". Again, WOW!

I want to thank all of our 1969 buddies, those mentioned here and many others, for your friendship and kindness. Keep reaching out to others and I will do the same. It helps reassure us all that the world is filled with more than the idiots we see on the news every night.

Dan
Last edited by GFDWARF07 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GFDWARF07

Postby AllStarInc » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:29 pm

Thanks to you Dan! You really help bring it all together.

It's lots of fun. I keep coming back to the 1969 game after trying some of the others. It just seems to be a more familiar and friendly group for some reason.

Thanks to everybody!
AllStarInc

Postby Risden » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:26 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Dan.

Lots of great guys in the 1969 leagues and you are at the top of the list, my Twin fanatic friend. I echo Bill's sentiment; thanks for your endless efforts in keeping these leagues afloat!
Risden

Postby ugrant » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:48 pm

I just noticed this thread, I've been kinda busy. I'm honored you mentioned me, Dan. Thanks.

A lot of the reasons I'm a '69 only' player are mentioned here. Great bunch of guys who keep it focused on the game.

Keep up your good work. That applies to a lot of other folks who participate here, as well.
ugrant

Thanks Dan

Postby Rjnewman » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:04 pm

Playing with the most competent guys is the best challenge. Thanks to Bob for the spreadsheets.
Rjnewman

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: 1969, 1986, 1999