One Man's Trash League: nominations complete

Our historical single season sets

One Man's Trash League: nominations complete

Postby franky35 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:23 am

League Name - One Man's Trash is Another Man's Treasure

In this league, each team will be made up of 2 superstars and 23 bad players. The 23 bad players will probably be players that you've never had on your roster.

Advanced
60 mil
no free agent moves; roster size must stay at 25
unlimited trades, but superstars can't be traded.

The league will be formed in 2 steps: First, a player pool of trash players will be nominated by the owners. Second, the nominated players, plus 2 superstars will be drafted on the SOM draft site.

Here's the rules:
Once 12 owners sign up, draft order will be determined by randomizer in the usual way. The person that nominates first in round 1 of the nomination phase will be the last to draft in round 1 of the draft phase. Both phases are serpentine.

First step: The player pool will be established in 5 rounds on the message board. In round 1, each owner will nominate 8 players of any value;
round 2: 3 players of .51 mil or greater, plus a stadium;
round 3: 4 players of 1.01 or greater;
round 4: 4 players of 2.01 or greater;
round 5: 4 players of 3.01 or greater.

You must nominate 9 pitchers and 14 hitters including at least 2 catchers.

The catch is, you cannot draft any of the players that you nominated for the player pool - thus, the league's name. So, the object of the nomination phase is to nominate the trashiest players you can find to fill up the rosters of the other owners.

Second Step: The nominated players will be Drafted on SOM draft site (remember, you cannot draft your own nominees). At any time during the SOM draft, you can draft your 2 superstars (one pitcher and one hitter).

Questions?

1. franky35
Last edited by franky35 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:39 am, edited 48 times in total.
franky35

Postby dlarkins » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:10 am

1. franky35
2. ldanred
dlarkins

Postby franky35 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:02 pm

What is wrong with you people, don't you want an opportunity to make a team of the very worst players? When will Tom Shopay ever get a chance to play up to his potential?

This format guarantees that the very worst players will be on the field!

To quote Leonard Pinth-Garnell:

"Stunningly bad!"
"Monumentally ill-advised!"
"Perfectly awful!"
"Couldn't be worse!"
"Exquisitely awful!"
"Astonishingly ill-chosen!"
"Really bit the big one!"
"Unrelentingly bad!"
"There... That wasn't so good now, was it?"

I would be open to rule changes. For example, we could eliminate one or two of the superstars. I thought it would be interesting to see what Marichal would do against the very worst hitters.

If there isn't any more interest, I'll let this fade into the dustbin of unplayed theme leagues.
franky35

Postby Rick Smith » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:55 pm

[quote:5782d31c0e="franky35"]What is wrong with you people, don't you want an opportunity to make a team of the very worst players? When will Tom Shopay ever get a chance to play up to his potential?

This format guarantees that the very worst players will be on the field!

To quote Leonard Pinth-Garnell:

"Stunningly bad!"
"Monumentally ill-advised!"
"Perfectly awful!"
"Couldn't be worse!"
"Exquisitely awful!"
"Astonishingly ill-chosen!"
"Really bit the big one!"
"Unrelentingly bad!"
"There... That wasn't so good now, was it?"

I would be open to rule changes. For example, we could eliminate one or two of the superstars. I thought it would be interesting to see what Marichal would do against the very worst hitters.

If there isn't any more interest, I'll let this fade into the dustbin of unplayed theme leagues.[/quote:5782d31c0e]

How would the worst players be used when the salary cap is $200m?

Rick Smith
Rick Smith

Postby franky35 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:52 pm

[quote:5f492d139c]How would the worst players be used when the salary cap is $200m?

Rick Smith[/quote:5f492d139c]

The 200 mil cap is confusing. Actually, teams will end up with about 40-60 mil worth of the very worst players. I'll change the cap to 60 mil, but that could be raised if anyone manages to draft above 60 while keeping with the rules.

The league would work in two separate steps. In step 1, each owner picks 23 of the worst players to add to a player pool. In step 2, we have a draft on somdraft. The catch is - you can't draft anyone you picked in Step 1. So, the object in Step 1 is to pick the worst players.

For example, in my round 1, I could select Tom Shopay, Vida Blue, Pedro Ramos, Walt Hrianiak and Rich Robertson. Those players would go into the player pool. In the actual draft, I couldn't draft any of those players onto my team. However, since only the players picked in Step 1 can be drafted, Shopay, Blue etc. will be on someone's roster for the entire season.

Also, you aren't allowed to make free agent moves, so you are stuck with the terrible players you drafted (unless you trade them for different terrible players).

This is different than a 60 mil league because, in this league, only the very worst players will be drafted. So, instead of seeing the usual bargain players like Rollie Fingers, Woodie Held and Sandy Alomar, we'll be playing players like Vida Blue and Tom Shopay.

Did I explain that ok?
franky35

Postby franky35 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:59 pm

People, don't worry about understanding every detail of the rules. The bottom line is that each team will have 2 superstars and 23 bad players that you have probably never had on your roster.

The commish (me) will help with the steps, and you'll find the rules very simple once we get started.
franky35

Spread the news

Postby Rjnewman » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:45 am

I am intersted in your league. As well as Gdwarf idea and mine as well. Maybe we could do two at a time. Why not propose on our current league board as well. Many may not have seen your proposal.
Rjnewman

Postby GFDWARF07 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:04 am

The format sounds fun, Franky. My only concern was keeping track of all the nominations. Can we wimply say that you have to select 23 of your 25 roster spots from players <1MM? Or even that you were obligated to pick from the lowest salary tier available? i.e. all the 0.5X guys have to be gone before you can pick from 0.6X ones? Might be fun.

I will participate.

ldanred - are you "back"?
GFDWARF07

Postby franky35 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:25 pm

Dan,

The somdraft will be limited to only those players that are nominated, so you can't draft an un-nominated player. In other words, you don't have to keep track because the computer keep track for you.

I don't think keeping track of your own nominations will be hard because (1) I'll post a list on nominations for each owner - alphabetical and by salary, and (2) we are each nominating players we think are the very worst at their salary level, so it is unlikely that you would nominate a player you think is really terrible and then turn around and draft him for your team.

Regarding your question of making it all low salary players - I tried to design the league not just for low price, but also to involve players that aren't picked in any format. For example, at 0.5 mil Sandy Alomar is always picked; but in this league he is unlikely to be available. Instead, higher priced, seldom-used players like Billy Cowan, Ken Berry, Mike Shannon, Ed Kranepool, and Gail Hopkins will get their turn to shine as starters. Reserves will be players like Nate Oliver and Tom Shopay (you should see their cards).
franky35

Postby franky35 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:31 pm

There have been a couple comments suggesting that this format would have too many high value players. So, I'll offer a vote to revise the rules:

"Higher Quality"
First step: The player pool will be established in 5 rounds on the message board. In round 1, each owner will nominate 5 players of any value;
round 3: 5 players of 1.01 or greater;
round 4: 5 players of 2.01 or greater;
round 5: 5 players of 3.01 or greater.

"Lower Quality"
First step: The player pool will be established in 5 rounds on the message board. In round 1, each owner will nominate 8 players of any value;
round 3: 4 players of 1.01 or greater;
round 4: 4 players of 2.01 or greater;
round 5: 4 players of 3.01 or greater.

I vote for "Lower Quality"
franky35

Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: 1969, 1986, 1999