what do you think of this team?

Our historical single season sets

what do you think of this team?

Postby neilm100 » Fri May 21, 2010 9:57 am

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/team/team_other.html?user_id=274418
neilm100

Postby apolivka » Fri May 21, 2010 4:34 pm

Well, you have a lot of work to do. At a 1-12 HR park like Anaheim, I don't like either The Can or Tudor. Leibrandt is going to get his bell rung pretty often, and you have nobody in your bullpen. This looks like a no-DH league, so you really need a MUCH better pen.

On offense, you are starting 6 rightys and 2 leftys. I would much rather see some balance there as your team could really be exploited by some fairly cheap pitchers in '86.

E. Davis is great, but injury prone, so he needs some backup. Strawberry is a keeper there too, but also injury prone. Lemon, also injury prone and really more a platoon guy. I would dump Lemon and try to find 1 good injury proof outfielder and a good ($1M or so) backup.

I've seen Parrish put up some good seasons for the price, but he is really more of a DH. (Having Pendleton as a backup helps though) Your defense is ugly: 4e13, 1e13, 3e32, 4e24 around the infield. Maybe you could trade either Brooks or Davis for someone with some better D and maybe that bats lefty or switch. Brooks and Parrish also both have 15 game injury potential as well. That a LOT of guys that need decent backups, probably too many.
apolivka

Postby Jake Squid » Fri May 21, 2010 5:03 pm

I don't like it at all. The first problem is that you've got no relief pitching. At all. Then there's the fact that your best reliever is an LHP with a 7L balance. It's a recipe for disaster when you combine it with your starting pitching which is okay at best. This set is full of batters who will crush LHP.

Then there's your position players. You're going to get killed by RHP. You have no good hitters who are balanced R (except Barfield) and four of them are at least 3L. Jones can't hit righties and neither can Barrett.

Glenn Davis isn't worth the $$$. You're much better off platooning Traber (who's available) with some righty masher. I like Balboni a lot but he's taken. You can then take the extra $$$ to upgrade your bullpen and, possibly, rotation.

You might also think about dropping Barfield and picking up some decent LHBs.

I think that you have a lot to do to make this into a competitive team.

I've been known to be wrong, but I really do think that you're going to struggle a lot against RHP.
Jake Squid

Postby Jake Squid » Fri May 21, 2010 5:15 pm

That's what I get for being interrupted while replying. apolivka beat me to it.

I think that Brooks' offense is worth putting up with his defense. He's done extremely well in every league I've played in.

I've found Davis to be well worth the risk - he's only got a 1-injury even though he can be out up to 15 games. Parrish has been worth his defense for me.

Did I hallucinate Barfield or was a change made? Strawberry is definitely superior for this team.

Here's a sample of Parrish on one of my teams:
http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/team/team_other.html?user_id=149882

That's about the average for him over the course of 5 teams.

You might want to look at the pitching staff construction on this team, too. I spent a lot more than I usually do on pitching, but just switch out Clemens for somebody good but cheaper and it's a pretty decent template.
Jake Squid

Postby neilm100 » Fri May 21, 2010 11:46 pm

made a few changes... thanks for the input guys

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/team/team_other.html?user_id=274418
neilm100

Postby neilm100 » Fri May 21, 2010 11:49 pm

dumped Lemon and picked up Moseby
neilm100

Postby neilm100 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:20 am

ended up with 89 wins and 1 game out of first :(
neilm100

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: 1969, 1986, 1999