Did I get lucky with Kingery? And Oz

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Did I get lucky with Kingery? And Oz

Postby fredpaii » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:21 am

My home park is the Astrodome and I platoon Mike Kingery in right-field vs. rhp's.

The good news is he has hit two HRs and two doubles in 40 ab's vs. rhp's. And his OBP is also fairly high (.375) but his BA is only .275. My question is do you believe he is the .340+BA/.400+OBP season (1994) or a different one (1995 or 1996)? I know he's not the first two seasons on his card because he can't hit a HR in those years. So that leaves just three alternatives. I'm thinking I lucked out with him. But that great season of his doesn't have this many BB's. Maybe he's getting those BB's off pitcher's cards?

By the way, will Ozzie Smith continue to be this good? I mean WOW.

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/team/team_other.html?user_id=343962&stats=splits&onroster=1
fredpaii

Postby YountFan » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:48 am

Good indications, but 40 at bats is nothing you can take to the bank
YountFan

Postby voovits » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:15 pm

I agree with what YountFan said as far as Kingery goes, however I see something concerning.

I notice through 18 games, you have made 15 roster moves.
You dropped some potentially great players (I-Rod, Olerud, Gwynn) after only a small number of AB. You also dropped Saberhagen after 1 bad start. I strongly recommend reacquiring him if you have the money, he is a rare 5 season keeper. Never drop Saberhagen if you have him.

The bottom line is that a fast start does not mean a great card and a slow start does not mean a bad card. You need to have patience with your players.
voovits

Postby fredpaii » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:58 pm

haha

Yeah, I've been picking and dropping quite a bit. Saberhagen is still available but I question if he's right for my division. There are two Skydome Parks in my division. That's a righty hitters Park. Saberhagen is balanced to the left. That's a lot of money to be spent on a pitcher that isn't made for my division. Albeit, he does have an overall nice card throughout. Agree with that. My initial hope was that Saberhagen would be good enough vs. the righty power hitters in those two parks and thrive against lefty hitters. Maybe I gave up too soon on him. He got rocked in his only Skydome outing for me. I could pick him back up.
fredpaii

i got his best season

Postby fredpaii » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:17 am

kingery just hit a HR vs. a LHP. He can only do that in one season. Yep, his best season. :D

That said, he needs to get those numbers up.

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/team/team.html?stats=splits&onroster=1
fredpaii

Postby voovits » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:12 pm

You have to keep in mind the small chance of getting an inside the park homerun on the x-chart or stretching a triple into a homerun due to the extra baserunning decisions. Even though he's only a 1-14 runner, it's still possible. One homerun never guarantees anything.
voovits

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s