70's team awful, any advice?

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

70's team awful, any advice?

Postby chrisfu » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:01 pm

I'm not a rookie but I could still use advice if anyone has any... respond to any of this if you'd like. This is a 70's team

I've never had an entire team underperform to such an extent, or I should say, an entire line up. After 21 games, my team is 11-10, not bad, but only because of the pitching. If you had told me going into the season that I'd have the worst pitching team in the league, I would have said, 'not a surprise.' But, my pitching is great. I would not have believed I could have the worst hitting team, which I do.

The hitters I started with that I thought would produce at least a middle range offense were, C-Bench, 1B-Eddie Murray, 3B-Bob Bailey, LF-Lou Brock, CF-Fred Lynn, RF-Jeff Burroughs, DH-Ron Blomberg. This entire line up is awful, I am lowest in the league in runs scored, batting average, on base percentage, slugging percentage and home runs. Obviously middle IF haven't done much, but not a surprise (Harrelson, Allen) For my high salary guys to all be terrible is a shock. Bench is hitting .216 with no power. Murray is at about .250 with no power. (no one in the line up has more than 2 HR), Bailey is gone-looked clearly like his worst year, Brock is hot, has his average now up to .150 after starting out well under .100 for the first 15 games, Lynn is at .250 with a ton of doubles, Burroughs is gone after starting 3 for 30. Blomberg is fine.

So, has anyone ever had Bench do poorly for an entire season, no power and under .250? Murray has been HBP so it is one of his three better years, is it possible that he won't come around in one of his top 3 OPS seasons? Brock could be in his lowest AVG year but that was .298 and he hit for his best power that year. For me, he has 1 2B and 1 HR, 0 3B. Lynn is way overbalanced for righties, so it should be a good year and most of his hits are 2B's.

Oh, and my ball park is.... 3 Rivers, not a pitchers park, not a hitters park. How long do you hold on to these guys and wait, and even if you don't, how do you replace high price players 21 games into the season. Do I just accept this will be a losing team, unless my pitching can REALLY carry me through 162 games?
chrisfu

Postby ggrover15 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:50 pm

Post a link to your team. Have you had any injury reveals yet. If not tough to let those guys go. but post your link and we can take a look.
ggrover15

Postby chrisfu » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:34 pm

I'm not a rookie at mystery card but maybe I am with computers too much. I would love to post a link, how do I post a link to my team?
chrisfu

Postby YountFan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:49 pm

go the the league stats page....click to view the team stats...click to view your team....copy UR in the address bar....paste here
YountFan

Postby chrisfu » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:02 pm

here is my team:
http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/70s/team/team_other.html?user_id=91987
chrisfu

Postby The Senators » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:07 am

Brock and Lynn will never do much against lefties so I think you need a strong right handed hitter against lefties to balance that some. Maybe you have too much money spent on relievers. Pick which one you have the most confidence in and whip him like a rented mule, You can free up some money by ditching the other relievers and going with lefty/lefty and righty/righty cheapies. Otherwise, I really don't think this is too bad of a team. You are playing almost .600 ball which is very good. Brock will get better against righties and you have Blomberg doing what he normally will do. Too early and too small of a sampling so far to panic so give it some more games before you start wholesale changes. I think the core is good.
The Senators

Postby chrisfu » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:48 am

Maybe I should post about my team more often.... team got hot last night and got a sweep, 2 grand slams, one by Bench in the bottom of the 9th to tie a game. A long way to go, but finally saw a little offense last night.
chrisfu

Postby kenhutchings » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:59 am

18-12 after 30 games. It looks like your team is coming together. Must have had a collective batting slump earlier in the season.
kenhutchings

update

Postby chrisfu » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:43 am

updating above, as I wrote, after 21 games, my team was the worst hitting team in the league in runs scored and a bunch of other categories, now after 51 games with only a few changes, the team is number 1 in the league in runs scored. Just seems odd that a team that can hit this well would start so terribly terribly cold.
chrisfu

Postby YountFan » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:42 am

You have to stick with it a while. The dice rolls need to even out. Glad your team is rockin
YountFan

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s