Live Draft - Proxy Usage for new users

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Live Draft - Proxy Usage for new users

Postby Jimmy_C » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:49 pm

I had to do some digging...but I found an old write-up that YountFan had done in a past live draft regarding proxy use:

There are four things that interact when you set proxies.

1. Round
Set this to a number not equal to 1 to have the proxy execute in a specific round. ZERO means any round. I normally leave this zero.

2. Group
A grouping number allow you to group players together. The groups are processed in numerical order. Typically groups are used for positions, like a SS group, but you can make a leadoff hitter group, etc.

3. Group Order
This is the order within the group (#2 above) to pick. I like to number by 10 so I can slide people in between. Note penn only support order between 0 and 99.

4. Delete if group picked flag
This tells penn to delete the group (#2 above) if YOU pick someone from the group. Set this to Yes most of the time so you don't pick 3 SS.

Example

Code:

Round Group Order Delete Player
0 1 10 Y O Smith
0 1 20 Y UL Washington
0 1 25 Y I DeJesus
0 2 10 N B Horner
0 2 20 N D Kingman
0 2 30 Y R Kittle

In this example when it is your turn to pick penn will look at group 0 and pick the player with the lowest order that is left. Let's say Ozzie has been picked, so you get Washington. And because the delete flag is Y DeJesus is removed. Your proxies are now

Code:

0 2 10 N B Horner
0 2 20 N D Kingman
0 2 30 Y R Kittle

At your next pick group 2 is left and lets assumes Horner, Kingman amd Kittle are all available. Penn will then pick Horner and remove Kittle because the delete flag is Y. Your proxies are now

Code:

0 2 20 N D Kingman

Kingman will be your next pick if he is available.

Tips
If you want to re-order yout proxies you do not need to remove the player from the list and re-added them. You can just enter the player id and the new setting and penn will move the player on the proxy list.

If you order your groups by 2's or 5's you can slide groups in between. Also penn support group ZERO so you can slide in a group at the top.
Last edited by Jimmy_C on Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy_C

Postby Jimmy_C » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:41 pm

Bump
Jimmy_C

Postby echo22 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:57 pm

So round 0 will always go first, otherwise the draft wizard will only pick guys specified for that round and that round only? So I could have the same player in different groups?

So I should only set delete if group picked if for example I have a group of all SS? If I have a group of pitchers I wouldn't necessarily want to delete the rest of the group if say I get Catfish Hunter and my 2nd choice, say Guidry, is available with my next pick. I know in the regular autodraft you just rank your players regardless and the computer just takes the highest available player or gives you the closest guy in salary at that position next. In the 80's I always end up with Bob Brenly and Phil Bradley and I've never drafted those guys! Just worried I'll get home from work and find out my #2 round pick is Repoz or Plunk :shock:
echo22

Postby Jimmy_C » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:11 pm

Echo...the best way I've found to use the proxy is to ignore "round" (always leave it "0") and utilize "group" instead. Settings might look like this:

(By the way...I always leave spaces in case I wan't to insert a different group/player later)

GROUP 2 - (I want 1 shortstop)
2) Shortstop #1 - drop if group picked
6) Shortstop #2 - drop if group picked
9) Shortstop #3 - drop if group picked

GROUP 4 - (I want 1 righty starter)
2) Righty Starting Pitcher#1 - drop if group picked
4) Righty Starting Pitcher#2- drop if group picked
8) Righty Starting Pitcher#3- drop if group picked

GROUP 6 - ( I want 2 lefty starters)
2) Lefty Starting Pitcher#1 - drop if group picked
6) Lefty Starting Pitcher#2 - DO NOT drop if group picked
9) Lefty Starting Pitcher#3 - drop if group picked

I may not get both lefty starting pitchers...but at least I had the opportunity to get my 1st AND 2nd choice. I can then adjust when I get home from work in the evening.
Jimmy_C

Postby echo22 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:25 pm

Thanks Jimmy,

Guess I'm going to just redo everything! Now what happens if I turn the proxies off? Would it just wait for me to make a live pick? Not that I want to slow the draft down, but I probably wouldn't want to see 25-30 players picked without being able to make some adjustments if say a SS run comes earlier than anticipated.
echo22

Postby Jimmy_C » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:52 pm

If you turn the proxies OFF it will wait for you to pick personally. OFF is definitely OFF.

I'll bet 6-12 proxys will get you through the day. I don't know how you get involved in a run of shortstops other than being able to check in.
Jimmy_C

Postby echo22 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:01 pm

Thanks again. I'll just set up a little bit at a time I guess. Not like these drafts are happening at a rapid speed! I just happen to work when most people are off.
echo22

Postby Jimmy_C » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:11 pm

No prob Echo. Thanks for coming to the rescue of the Barnstormers tournament. You will continue with us for round #4...right?
Jimmy_C

Postby echo22 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:27 pm

Hey Jimmy,

Probably not rd #4 unless I get points :lol: I'm actually playing 3 other leagues right now and I've never played more than one at a time. The draft thing seems fun but if it's going to take this long and I'm not going to get any points or perks, I'll probably pass on the 80's draft. Just thought a live draft might be fun. Besides I actually like the 70's game better, just using my 80's credits up.
echo22

Postby Jimmy_C » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:56 pm

Bummer. Well...there will be some time between round #3 and round #4...perhaps you'll change your mind by then.
By the way...Bernie torqued up the manager rating points for tourney players...

"REVISED (from Bernie):
As an added bonus, every champion of every qualifying league in every event will be awarded 75 points towards their Manager Rating, instead of the usual 50 for "Advanced" leagues. Also, the Overall Tour Champion will be awarded 150 points instead of the usual 50 for winning the Champion's League. This even applies to non-Tour teams that are acting as "fillers"."

OK...so that and $4.00 will get you a Big Mac...but...winning your league will still get you 2 free plays, just like any other league.

And...Oh yeah...don't be so sure about the points and perks things either. I'd be willing to bet our fearless leader Jablowmi will work hard to reward your courageousness in any way he can. Maybe he'll give you a ride on his private jet...
Jimmy_C

Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s