WHY WE PLAY?

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Postby fatdaddy054 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:17 pm

it's like the wife. you wake up each day and have the deer in the headlights look, you don't know what to expect.

sorry honey, no offense intended. :o
fatdaddy054

Postby chasenally » Wed May 13, 2009 10:36 pm

Something to check on after 9pm PST. Not deep or special, just something to do. A 3 game sweep is sweet even 20 games out. 8-) Also to try and figure out why when I build a team for power I can't hit my way out of a wet paper bag and my pitching is great and when I build a team for pitching I throw gopher balls and my hitters can bust a ball.
chasenally

Postby fatdaddy054 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:20 pm

Try to manage against some of the best:

League Details: TSN_32343

There are 5 open spot(s) remaining in this league.

Go back to the list.

EAST Manager (rating)
Mesmerization Eclipse DarthRuvo (1548)
Gimme a Taco LMBombers (5615)
Tampa Razors chrisfu (132)
DC 'Natinals' Carew29 (326)

CENTRAL Manager (rating)
Mississippi Minute Men fatdaddy054 (557)
Let's Go Flyers Jablowmi (5852)
LasVegas Gamblers 4 paulzplace (957)
empty -
fatdaddy054

the reason we play

Postby kidskid » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:41 am

a lot of us at a time played, or were involved in baseball one time in our lives, now with the changes in life and styles, we now resort to letting our imaginations still let us hope for that season, we lost so many years ago, and those that work dont have the time any longer to sit down and play games like we once did, so this is where our enjoyment is, on line baseball wheather it be fantasy or stratomatic, its for the fun,
kidskid

Postby the icemen » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:49 pm

I think as American sports fans we all think we know better than the manager or coach...we sit in fron to ff the TV with absolutely no pressure and think "What's he doin? He should be.......

This is our chance to put our thoughts and strategies into the most accurate simulation game there is...Fantasy baseball is a joke in comparison to this...I love to match wits with the best here...I love the opportunity to not only be the manager but also the GM-Owner...and I love waking up to see how my team did and checking the waiver wire...who let a good card slip away...

This is the best...I can't believe I stayed away for 3 years or more....I finally had a little pocket change to drop on a team and it is good to be back
the icemen

Postby franky35 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:21 pm

Recently I've thought a bit about why I spend so much time on this game. First, I was a big baseball fan in the early 70s and sometimes pretended to be Frank Robinson or Joe Morgan. Second, I love strategy games - I also loved APBA and Avalon Hill games as a kid. Third, this is very, very relaxing for me (interesting that I find it both exciting and relaxing). At night, rather than worry about the undone projects in my life, I often put myself to sleep thinking up lineups. With kudos to Bernie, Strat, and others, the game and the site are really well executed. Also, in general, the strat community is a nice bunch of people.

I will mention that I read the results one out at a time and I don't know a game's outcome until the final out. I can do this by taking off my glasses, opening each game, and scrolling down to the play-by-play before putting my glasses back on.
franky35

Postby coyote303 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:24 am

[quote:d6f526f7f1="franky35"]I will mention that I read the results one out at a time and I don't know a game's outcome until the final out. I can do this by taking off my glasses, opening each game, and scrolling down to the play-by-play before putting my glasses back on.[/quote:d6f526f7f1]

There is a Grease Monkey (Firefox add-on) script that will play out the results for you. I don't use it myself, but I'm sure someone else can give you details.
coyote303

Why?!? It's a Mystery...!

Postby caimrisek » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:53 pm

I've been playing Strat...started on the board game(s) some 30 odd years ago...and haven't stopped! My favorite thing has always been the "what if" factor in playing this game. Taking the mental aspect out of baseball could my '84, '89, '93, etc...Cubs...win it all?!? Take the "best of" teams and run a tournament to see who is the all time greatest (for that round anyway). However...once the game moved here to TSN it as become an entirely different animal for me. It has been great interacting with all new "fanatics" and chatting on the boards with some truly great managers and people!

I love it ALL! Every year from ATG to the new sets and everything in between...including the tournaments and theme leagues that have come up. But now...I have a new ATF...this Mystery game is the absolute BEST idea since putting your slumping players in the freezer overnight to get them out of their "funk"!!! Sure the yearly sets are great and ATG is cool to play with guys like Ruth, Aaron, Gehrig, Drysdale, Cy Young, Matthewson, etc...but...many of the "better" managers have come to "know" the good cards. Plus...it seems like offense always trumps defense and pitching.

But...in the Mystery games...NOW everyone starts on equal footing. That's the beauty of it! No matter who you draft...each player has a chance to get a not-so-good card or...even better...the lower salaried players each have a chance to have a "better-than-their-salary" card!! Can you get stuck with all bad cards? Yep...and you can get all good cards...or something in between. But that's the beauty of it...an inexperienced manager is still on even ground with those with more "Strat" experience BECAUSE of the MYSTERY of "what card did you get dealt"! And I know the dice are random and so are the split draws...but...you could pay $10.29M for Jeff Bagwell and end up with his '92 card (.273 BA, 18 HR). Not bad stats...but...terrible for $10.29M!!! On the other side of the coin...you could spend $.85M on Mark Eichhorn and get lucky enough to be dealt his '91 card (1.98 ERA, .93 WHIP)!

I LOVE the concept of not knowing which card you have as you ponder dumping one of your best hitters because he's either in a slump...or...you have one of his bad cards!!! What an equalizer...how cool!!! Big props to TSN and STRAT!!! I will be putting my money into this concept for some time to come. Will I play the other versions? Probably...but NOT along the same frequency as in the past. And...I REALLY hope more managers realize what a GREAT concept this MYSTERY game really is!!! If you want an equal chance of competing against ANY manager in STRAT-land...this IS IT!!! Come on down and enjoy the fun!!!

:D
caimrisek

Re: Why?!? It's a Mystery...!

Postby fredpaii » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:54 am

[quote:78883028dc="caimrisek"]I've been playing Strat...started on the board game(s) some 30 odd years ago...and haven't stopped! My favorite thing has always been the "what if" factor in playing this game. Taking the mental aspect out of baseball could my '84, '89, '93, etc...Cubs...win it all?!? Take the "best of" teams and run a tournament to see who is the all time greatest (for that round anyway). However...once the game moved here to TSN it as become an entirely different animal for me. It has been great interacting with all new "fanatics" and chatting on the boards with some truly great managers and people!

I love it ALL! Every year from ATG to the new sets and everything in between...including the tournaments and theme leagues that have come up. But now...I have a new ATF...this Mystery game is the absolute BEST idea since putting your slumping players in the freezer overnight to get them out of their "funk"!!! Sure the yearly sets are great and ATG is cool to play with guys like Ruth, Aaron, Gehrig, Drysdale, Cy Young, Matthewson, etc...but...many of the "better" managers have come to "know" the good cards. Plus...it seems like offense always trumps defense and pitching.

But...in the Mystery games...NOW everyone starts on equal footing. That's the beauty of it! No matter who you draft...each player has a chance to get a not-so-good card or...even better...the lower salaried players each have a chance to have a "better-than-their-salary" card!! Can you get stuck with all bad cards? Yep...and you can get all good cards...or something in between. But that's the beauty of it...an inexperienced manager is still on even ground with those with more "Strat" experience BECAUSE of the MYSTERY of "what card did you get dealt"! And I know the dice are random and so are the split draws...but...you could pay $10.29M for Jeff Bagwell and end up with his '92 card (.273 BA, 18 HR). Not bad stats...but...terrible for $10.29M!!! On the other side of the coin...you could spend $.85M on Mark Eichhorn and get lucky enough to be dealt his '91 card (1.98 ERA, .93 WHIP)!

I LOVE the concept of not knowing which card you have as you ponder dumping one of your best hitters because he's either in a slump...or...you have one of his bad cards!!! What an equalizer...how cool!!! Big props to TSN and STRAT!!! I will be putting my money into this concept for some time to come. Will I play the other versions? Probably...but NOT along the same frequency as in the past. And...I REALLY hope more managers realize what a GREAT concept this MYSTERY game really is!!! If you want an equal chance of competing against ANY manager in STRAT-land...this IS IT!!! Come on down and enjoy the fun!!!

:D[/quote:78883028dc]

Thank you!

I'm just beginning my first season with the mystery cards (BTT90's) tomorrow and I have to say the concept fascinates me. I can't wait for all the surprises in store as the players' year reveals itself . I'm hoping they're all good surprises!
fredpaii

Postby voovits » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:49 am

Another one joins the dark side!

If you have any questions or are looking for advice, feel free to ask. There are a lot of mystery card vets who give out great advice here.
voovits

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s