Benefits of a "1"

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Benefits of a "1"

Postby honestiago1 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:20 pm

I am creating a team for the Astrodome -- pitching, defense and speed. My keystone combo is currently Tony Fernandez/Damaso Garcia, similar hitters, as far as avg., walks, what have you. I am VERY tempted to replace Garcia with Flynn, just to have that double "1" combo in the middle. I'd end up pinch hitting a lot for Flynn, of course, but, as I don't expect to score a lot of runs anyway, why not completely shut off the middle of the diamond (I have a "1" in CF right now, also). I was also thining of using the extra money I'd get from releasing Damaso to beef up the bats at the corners, and in right and left field.

Has anyone ever dared to use Flynn for a full season?
honestiago1

Postby YountFan » Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:46 pm

Consider Barrett over Garcia and no I have not seen Flynn over a whole season, I agree you can get away with him at the bottom of the order if the rest is strong.

Post a link to your team and you'll get lots of feedback
YountFan

Prior to waver period

Postby honestiago1 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:21 pm

Here's the team prior to waiver period:

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/80s/team/team.html

Using an Astrodome philosophy -- pitching, defense and a healthy does of "little ball." My problem right now: no one to drive in runs.

PITCHING: I did not get Clemens, of course (which is why I have Soto -- AGAIN!. Pretty happy with Soto, Higuera and Key. Probably moving Mahler for another top starting pitcher. All of Henke's years are usable, esp. in the dome. Dayley is always usable. Dipino might be good for spot work against lefties. Most of Stanley's years are decent, as are Gregg Harris (though he is a tad expensive to carry along with Henke).

Players who will more than likely move during waiver period:

Oliver, Brookens, Felder, Franco, Ballard (Harris might move AFTER waiver period, when I see what bats are left).

I've bounced back and forth on Carew. Fact is, most pitching is RH, and he is going to hit righties. And he looks like my leadoff man right now, to be honest (which is sorta scary). I would love to drop him and get Jack Clark (set myself up like the 'Cards of the 80s), but I have 9th waiver pick, so I'm pretty sure Jackie's gonna be long gone by then. Eddie Murray is also available.

I've checked out Polonia and Bailor pretty thoroughly, and they actually look like they could be a decent platoon unit (though the LF defense would be average with Bailor and bad with Polonia).

I think it's worth taking a chance on McGee to get the big years, and even if I don't, he suffers less in Dome, due to playing his actual games in Busch. Fernandez is a decent run producer for a SS, and a great defensive player. I could pair him with Damaso or Flynn, but I suppose that would depend on who I got during waivers. If I get some better hitters at 3B, 1B, RF, I'd be willing to carry his glove. I'm thinking the hits/runs he saves might mitigate his awful bat.

Anyway, I can go a couple of ways: I can totally "defense out," try to get great gloves everywhere and manufactiure runs, OR keep the defense tough up the middle, get a couple of run producers at the IF and OF corners, to lessen pressure on the staff. I'm REALLY tempted to grab some more gloves everywhere and see what happens. If I had Clemens, Key, Higeura and somebody like Morris, I might do that. After all, '86 Astros won with very little power, good speed, and good defense (I'm actually a Cubs fan, but my better strat teams have always been pitching-defense types).

That's my 4.56874983627 cents.
honestiago1

Others available

Postby honestiago1 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:29 pm

Actually, there are some 2B 1's available that are better than Flynn, not quite as good a hitter as Garcia. They are cheaper than Damaso, but more expensive than Flynn.
honestiago1

Postby Outta Leftfield » Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:27 pm

Bad link. We need the ID number. :D
Outta Leftfield

Postby wilee23 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:57 pm

Trillo's worst cards are better than Flynn's best. I agree that Barrett would be a solid option and usually hits well in the 2 hole.
wilee23

Reynolds

Postby honestiago1 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:48 pm

Harold Reynolds got dumped, so I snatched him up. Don't care for his 19 errors, but I think he's a better fit for me in the dome than Trillo. I have a Barrett type (with better speed and power) in Toby Harrah.
honestiago1

Link to a defensively studly 2005 team

Postby genevajack » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:50 pm

It leads the league in pitching and D. First place in the division. Infield: SS1-10; 2b 1-6; 1b 1-6; 3b 2-6; LF 1-2 CF 2-7 RF 3-8.
Johnson has pitched a no-no and the team has a 1.07 WHIP.
genevajack

Again-the link

Postby genevajack » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:51 pm

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/1969/team/team_other.html?user_id=2721
genevajack

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s