Feedback sought-League limiting overusage-BJ Simpson/YountFa

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Feedback sought-League limiting overusage-BJ Simpson/YountFa

Postby JOSEPHBONK » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:15 pm

While reviewing the old boards, a league formed in May which was designed to limit the overusage of players. The league idea was proposed by BJ Simpson where player use could not exceed 110% of average year plate appearances/innings pitched.

I am interested in receiving feedback from the league participants. Based on postings, it looks like BJ Simpson, YountFan and Sykes participated in the league. From the players perspective, was it successful? How was overusage monitored? Did the effort tracking usage exceed the desired benefits of avoiding situations like Joe Sambito pitching 220 innings? Are they any additional rules that were warranted?

Most importantly, would you participate in another league with overusage rules?

Thanks.
JOSEPHBONK

Postby rookssa1958 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:21 pm

It was a good league. We monitored ourselves for overusage, but Yountfan pulled data several times which helped keep track.

I wouldn't mind doing it again.
rookssa1958

Postby seanreflex » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:07 pm

I would absolutely do it again (I'm biased because I was the league champ) .. the rules were great, we monitored ourselves; we were able to "put players on disabled list" for up to 15 games by dropping them to FA wires, and other teams couldn't add them, you'd just drop them to limit thier use.

YountFan's spreadsheet was very easy to use, and it kept me right on track so nobody exceeded limits.

I would absolutely do it again. It was alot of fun, and required alot of managing. Lets DO IT !!!!
seanreflex

Postby YountFan » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:56 pm

It was a great theme. here are the orginal rules

[url=http://forums.sportingnews.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/5096067805/m/47110712/p/1]Overusge Topic[/url]
YountFan

DL List

Postby AdamKatz » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:03 pm

How did you deal with dropping people to the "DL" and then picking them back up without being charged the fee that HAL automativcally charges? Was this a no-minimum salary league?
AdamKatz

Re: DL List

Postby bjs73 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:42 pm

[quote:e006d67446="AdamKatz"]How did you deal with dropping people to the "DL" and then picking them back up without being charged the fee that HAL automativcally charges? Was this a no-minimum salary league?[/quote:e006d67446]

I came up with the idea for the league but YountFan did an absolutely wonderful job by gathering data and creating spreadsheets for league accountability purposes. YountFan really made the game work for everyone. He's the man.

We self policed ourselves and playing with a great bunch of guys in the 80's game really makes it all work.

The DL rule was one that I came up with to help others manage their players' usage. This was to help those that let their usage get out of hand early and also to makeup for HAL's bumbling decisions also.

The DL rule came with a cost though. You had to manage your bankroll to make those "DL" moves. If you ran out of cash or if you failed to pick up your DL player after the 15 game maximum, you lost his rights and his ownership was subject to the frenzy rule.

Things that I'd change next time around? Maybe go with 105% usage max. 110% was/is "doable" for most 80's players. But then again, I drafted a lot of players with plenty of IP/AB's. (Didn't help much since I got royally stomped. LOL)

Other than that, I believe the league was a success and everyone had a good time with it. People followed the rules and there were plenty of DL stints for players with curious ailments. LOL "Pink Eye to both eyes" was my favorite.
bjs73

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s