Triples rule in effect for 80's Strat?

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Triples rule in effect for 80's Strat?

Postby DENNISLYONS » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:48 am

Does anyone know if the triples rule is in effect for the Back to the 80's Strat game?
DENNISLYONS

Postby 1st Command Commando » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:28 am

I assume you mean can doubles be stretched to triples and triples to homeruns. The answer is yes. All super-advanced rules are in play with the back to the 80s except weather effects, this was per TSN staff several months ago.
Jim
1st Command Commando

Postby DENNISLYONS » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:37 am

Thanks, Jim Actually I was referring to the rule that prevents players from getting triples when they had none in real life. If the SA rules are in effect, then that definitely could assist in determining which season's player card you have on your team.
DENNISLYONS

I never got a clear answer on this but...

Postby bjs73 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:23 pm

[quote:ce8f7dee81]If the SA rules are in effect, then that definitely could assist in determining which season's player card you have on your team.[/quote:ce8f7dee81]

I was told that the game engine was using the SA and the whole rule about not having triples when a player didn't have any was one method that I [u:ce8f7dee81]used[/u:ce8f7dee81] to use when evaluating cards.

Except there was a season that I had Tom Herr man 2B for me for over 100 games because I held on to a card that I believed was "underperforming" because he had a triple early in the season. Herr's worst cards have no triples on them. Well, after 100 games of belief, he was spanking left handed pitching and doing almost zippo against righties. Had me wondering for quite some time! I was :evil: .

Then finally he got an injury with a strikeout vs. a righty after 100 games played. That means it could be 1 of 3 cards. '85, '87, '88. His '87 and '88 cards are the worst ones but have zero triples. But with his early triple I thought that I cleary had one of the good years. His splits after 100 games showed a very heavy lefty slant so that pointed to the '87 and '88 cards. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I finally sent a PM to Penngray who has had so many teams in strat-o that you can't count them. :wink: His experience from what he saw was that triples can indeed occur for players from the pitching cards even in years that there were no triples. I'll say that it is pretty black and white to me now.

So, my advice is to be leary of using the SA "triples" rule when predicting value for the mystery card. I haven't had it confirmed with the guys at TSN but I'm pretty certain that the evidence is sufficient to say that the "triples" rule doesn't function with this version of strat-o.

Hope that helps. :D
bjs73

Postby DENNISLYONS » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:02 pm

Thanks for your reply - and I have to agree with your experience regarding the triples rule. I have Don Mattingly on my team, and after 225 ABs, he has only 4 HRs but 4 (!) triples while hitting .295 - which correlates to his worst season, except for the fact that he hit 0 triples that year!

Arghh....

Thank again - lesson learned!

Dennis
DENNISLYONS

Postby bjs73 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:04 pm

What ballpark are you playing in? Perhaps that he is just having a power drain on a good year? His 23 HR year could be the culprit? I'd take that card any day. You might need a bit more patience considering his *4* triples. That'd be a real stroke of luck for him to stick 4 triples in his worst year.

Not impossible but definitely not probable.
bjs73

Postby DENNISLYONS » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:31 pm

Mattingly was playing for me in Riverfront (1-14 HR chance both ways)...
So I doubt that was the culprit - his OBP (particularly walks) seems more in line with his worst card, where he hit 0 triples and only 14 HRs. But yes, I definitely would have accepted ANY of his cards except for the worst one!
DENNISLYONS

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s