2006 Tournament Board sign-up thread

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Postby teepack » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:18 pm

[quote:93f71217ef="Rigged Splits"]The auction is the best. I think simplifying the rules to it would help. It's a big pain to have to figure out who's on everyone's auction roster before making TSN roster moves. If you just kept your auction players until the season started and then all players not on a TSN roster were free agents it might help. Also you would not have to go to the auction to bid on free agent pick ups. You could use the new add/drop penalties on this league.[/quote:93f71217ef]

Rigged, part of the strategy of the auction is to bid wisely so that you can have some $ left to pick up players to stash on your bench and keep others from using. So we can't make everybody a free agent after the season begins, or that defeats part of the allure of the auction.
teepack

Postby Coffeeholic » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:33 am

Teepack, I hope that you'll give further consideration to Rigged Splits' suggestion on the auction.

IMO, an auction format is the best bang for the buck we have going... at least as far as the pre-season is concerned. Once the auction is over, however, leagues tend to be rather boring as "in-season" moves are almost impossible (esp. since most/all useful players are held by someone else). Some relaxation on "in-season" moves might loosen things up and keep interest up for those teams who need to make a move or two.
Coffeeholic

Postby teepack » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:13 am

[quote:cc6bced8e0="Coffeeholic"]Teepack, I hope that you'll give further consideration to Rigged Splits' suggestion on the auction.

IMO, an auction format is the best bang for the buck we have going... at least as far as the pre-season is concerned. Once the auction is over, however, leagues tend to be rather boring as "in-season" moves are almost impossible (esp. since most/all useful players are held by someone else). Some relaxation on "in-season" moves might loosen things up and keep interest up for those teams who need to make a move or two.[/quote:cc6bced8e0]

Again, that is what separates the auction from the other formats, in my opinion. It forces you to 'look ahead' during the team-building process and try to pick up some players you may want as reserves during the season. Plus, remember that the Auction changes to a six-hour clock I believe once the season starts to enable you to be able to pick up new players more quickly. And you can always trade for the players on another team's bench. There's nothing to stop you from doing that.
teepack

Postby Cubit » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:48 pm

[quote:c0e693531d="cristano1"]how can u do away with the auction? its the most skilled event by far...[/quote:c0e693531d]

I have to agree here. We need something other than "one more league" and penngray's Auction has been a marvel of excitement.

This Spring I am going to be bouncing back and forth between Japan, Australia and NYC, so I am a poor League President in the first half of the year, but when summer comes...
Cubit

Postby JAYDINGESS1 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:48 am

Tee - just some thoughts on the new events that have come about.

1) IF Penngray is not updating his site, for whatever reason, we can not continue with the Auction League. Time may take care of this but at the moment, that league is entirely dependant upon Penngray. Live drafts will be more difficult but not impossible.

2) TSN will need to include this software next year to aid in the creation of such leagues as the Tour Championship series. Please, in your conversations with Bernie, let him know this.

3) I am wondering what happened, why it happened, etc. To borrow an old paraphrase, "why can't we all just get along?" Always seems to be some sort of issue or problem that alienates someone from the group. This is a great game, one that has hooked all of us on here. Kinda makes you think that autoleagues may have been the way to go all along. Rules straight forward, you play with whoever you play with, no room for misunderstandings.

Just my 2cents.
JAYDINGESS1

Postby RiggoDrill » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:24 am

Tee & Others, am I still on the Tour Board? I'd like to get the first league started, but I'm not sure if I'm qualified to be an [b:056e961a6c]LC [/b:056e961a6c]on this year's tour.
RiggoDrill

Postby RiggoDrill » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:31 am

[quote:0e14d12570="cristano1"]how can u do away with the auction? its the most skilled event by far...[/quote:0e14d12570]
I agree that there's a certain skill involved in the Auction, but even WITH penngray's site, the process was total agony. Without penngray's site, its a non-starter.
RiggoDrill

Postby Sykes25 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:35 pm

/bump

Just checking in. Work has been crazy, but I should be back to normal next week. Feel free to use PT if and when my services are needed.
Sykes25

Never done anything but Auto-Leagues... what I have to do?

Postby divad » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:09 pm

Apparently, ya first gotta do some serious perusing around on this message board to even get a whiff of what's happening? What, me worry? 8)
divad

Previous

Return to --- Player's Championship