Idea for this years Tour

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Idea for this years Tour

Postby Jeepdriver » Thu May 21, 2009 9:56 am

This would be a fairly simple Tournament, and would effectively deal with the issues of a lack of Commish and the late time frame we're already faced with.

First off let it be a simple autodraft, $80mil, DH.

My proposal, and this idea isn't new or unique, as it is basically the same set-up as the old JaserD Tourney and one that Swpsychic used to run, is to have a 3-Round Tourney. Currently there's 64 people signed up. 60 makes for 5 leagues and 72 for 6 leagues. I have no idea if less or more than 64 would want to be in this Tourney.

OK, if it's 5 leagues, take the Top 7 finishers from each league (the 4 p/o teams plus the next 3 best records with tie-break being head-to-head followed by R.D.) Take 1 extra team from these 5 leagues as a WildCard with the Tie-Break being Run Differential.

If it's 6 leagues, it's a lot easier, simply the Top 6 from each league would advance.

That means 36 teams advance to form 3 leagues. I suggest that we again just autodraft our teams, with possibly the only difference being no-DH.

When these 3 leagues are finished it would be just like last year's Finals, the 4 p/o teams from each league forming 1 Finals League. The Finals league could then be a live draft.

If we kick this off by early June these 3 Rounds should be concluded by the Christmas Holidays. I think everyone admits the Tour takes too long anyway, my assumption is everyone will like finishing by the end of this year.

I will volunteer to do the posts where everyone signs-up, and if everyone is in agreement (with this idea) post the Rules which can be read over and tweaked if necessary.

All that would be needed is an individual "Organizer" for each league. All the organizer does is makes sure each league simply goes off without a hitch. Being an autodraft, virtually no extra time would be required by the Organizers.

So all I'm doing here is throwing out a suggestion because the wheels for this year's Players Championship are certainly not in motion at the moment. It may be possible Bernie has already devised a plan we're not aware of, or it may be that the majority still wants the more elaborate Tournament.

My thoughts here are to just get "something" started for the community, and something that wouldn't require a time consuming commitment from any one individual.

Also, "if" we do this it will be up to everyone who signed up to check back here and join this Tourney, as no e-mails would be going out as a reminder we are starting. Let the buyer beware.

Last note: If we allow 2-3 weeks for sign-ups I bet MORE than 64 would be interested in this as it would require less of a time commitment and less of an investment on everyone's part. And, it's more simpler.
Jeepdriver

Postby visick » Thu May 21, 2009 11:12 am

I like it Jeep.

I didn't sign up this season because it took so long last season.

visick
visick

Postby AeroDave10 » Thu May 21, 2009 11:12 am

This sounds like a fantastic solution to the problem. My only alteration would be to NOT have a live draft league for the Finals, since it seems most experienced players are a bit turned off by it.

After the opening 80M DH round, I would suggest a 100M DH league in either the 2nd round or finals, with the 80M no DH league as the other option. Of course we could just have all 80M DH rounds, but I suppose the variety would be better.

I think we should wait to get 72 players and have 6 leagues. As you said, the logisitics work out a little easier that way.
AeroDave10

Postby keyzick » Thu May 21, 2009 11:47 am

I like it Jeep. Much better/quicker solution.
keyzick

Postby edgecitytx » Thu May 21, 2009 2:06 pm

Good idea, Jeep! You'll make a Great Commissioner! :P
edgecitytx

Postby Stoney18 » Thu May 21, 2009 2:11 pm

Great idea.

Last years Tour Final are in the last week of the season. Has really seemed to drag on.
Stoney18

Postby thisisray » Thu May 21, 2009 2:15 pm

I like the idea. I think it would be more enjoyable to have a 3 round cumulative score and having an average score determine the final group. That way we could get 3 different style leagues and then have the finals be a standard 80-DH league. We could start each round at the beginning of each month and it would still be over before around the end of the year. Obviously I will do what the majority wants, but I just wanted to state my liking for cumulative round scoring.
thisisray

Postby Delbird » Thu May 21, 2009 3:17 pm

It's certainly a different approach and better than no player's championship. The big drawback I see is similar to what 'thisisray' said - the regular format gave everyone a chance at 5-6 teams and took the average, so if you had a bad outing in the first league, you still could recover. The proposed method means if that first outing is rough, you probably don't get to the second round and your PC is over (one and done). With this being a game of chance, the regular format stood a better chance of 'proving' the best managers by having sustained success. As time passes on without the regular format being in place, something is better than nothing. If you did 3 leagues and took the average to build a final league, that would be one more round, which would make it longer, but would give everyone an equal 'average' opportunity.
Delbird

Postby Jeepdriver » Thu May 21, 2009 3:39 pm

Ironically, Bernie has made a post on the main forum indicating that at least an informal annoucement is coming tomorrow regarding the Tour.
Jeepdriver

Postby AeroDave10 » Thu May 21, 2009 3:59 pm

[quote:2cadea9f8f="Delbird"]It's certainly a different approach and better than no player's championship. The big drawback I see is similar to what 'thisisray' said - the regular format gave everyone a chance at 5-6 teams and took the average, so if you had a bad outing in the first league, you still could recover. The proposed method means if that first outing is rough, you probably don't get to the second round and your PC is over (one and done). With this being a game of chance, the regular format stood a better chance of 'proving' the best managers by having sustained success. As time passes on without the regular format being in place, something is better than nothing. If you did 3 leagues and took the average to build a final league, that would be one more round, which would make it longer, but would give everyone an equal 'average' opportunity.[/quote:2cadea9f8f]

Good call, Delbird. I like the averaged 3 preliminary round format (80M/DH, 100M/DH, and 80M/no DH??).
AeroDave10

Return to --- Player's Championship