Let's get the Champions League Off the Ground-check in here

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Postby bigmahon » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:26 am

Just a few thoughts as we close out the league:

Big props to [b:a666d18c95]spicki17[/b:a666d18c95], who kicked ass and took names. The team to beat.

Looks like [b:a666d18c95]etdefender[/b:a666d18c95] just might hold off [b:a666d18c95]cristano[/b:a666d18c95] for the East, while [b:a666d18c95]luckyman[/b:a666d18c95] and [b:a666d18c95]kaviksdad[/b:a666d18c95] are still neck and neck in the Central. Would love to play spoiler tonight against lucky and send these two into the final night tied. :wink:

[b:a666d18c95]Riggo[/b:a666d18c95] never recovered from a bizarre draft, which saw him erroneously select E. Chavez #1. Tough league for one of the greats.

[b:a666d18c95]Yours truly[/b:a666d18c95] also had a poor draft, and never really stood a chance against the likes of lucky and kav. There is no margin for error in a league of this calibre, and I made four fatal errors: 1) Drew in Round 1 - at Fenway? :( 2) Mora over Rolen in Round 2 :oops: 3) Gload in Round 6 - what was I thinking Riggo? 4) Cheap SPs after Peavy and Ramirez.

Hey, live and learn. I would liked to have done better, but I never really liked my team, which is a horrible feeling. At least I managed to surpass lucky's prediction of 74 wins. :D

Good luck the rest of the way fellas.
bigmahon

Postby ERICTAYLOR 2 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:47 pm

Agreed on the props to [b:19403adf50]spicki17[/b:19403adf50]. Well done. Of course, he hasn't won anything yet.

My improbable sweep of [b:19403adf50]cristano[/b:19403adf50] at Coors the other day has certainly put me in an enviable position. Of course, if he sweeps me tonight, we are back to square one. No matter which way it goes, I feel fortunate to have survived (at a minimum until the last day of the season) in a division with last year's winner, this year's regular season #1 and [b:19403adf50]Riggo[/b:19403adf50] in a live draft, no less (which is not ordinarily my strength, mostly because I don't have the time to analyze each and every pick like you guys all seem to be able to do).

The playoffs will be a bit anti-climactic (except for whomever wins!).
ERICTAYLOR 2

Postby RiggoDrill » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Good comments... This was indeed a very competitive league. Props to the hairy-footed one as he is poised to finish close to 10 games ahead of the 2nd best team in the league. Nice job [b:ab654653fd]spicki[/b:ab654653fd]! 8)

Really tight race between [b:ab654653fd]Kav [/b:ab654653fd]& [b:ab654653fd]Luckyman [/b:ab654653fd]in the Central and with Ivan Rodriguez out for the remainder of the season, [b:ab654653fd]et [/b:ab654653fd]is holding a very tenuous lead in the EAST. Also a fine job by [b:ab654653fd]UncleNY [/b:ab654653fd]who looks like he's grab the W.C. with the league's 2nd best record.

Man, my team really stunk. So much for [b:ab654653fd]luckyman [/b:ab654653fd]ability to make predictions - he had me winning 90 games :?: :!: :lol:
RiggoDrill

Postby kaviksdad » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:41 pm

Congratulations to Luckyman for clinching the Central title - with a 3 game lead and the tie-breaker he can lose all 3 games tonight and it doesn't matter.

It's been my pleasure to play with this illustrious group of managers. Thanks for everything guys, and good luck to all the playoff teams. May you all have injury-free series tonight and throughout the post season.

See you all next season!

KD
kaviksdad

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:51 pm

thanks kaviksdad. You made a good run. You and I both had injury-prone teams, and I got the luckier part of it. In your case, Mauer got severally injured many times, while cheaper Glaus played more than expected. In my case, I had the luck to have the opposite pattern: cheaper Hairston had season tickets to the DL while Snow remained relatively free of injuries.

riggo,
yeah, I completely miss my predictions for your team, but to my defense, I came within the standard deviation for every other team (sorry, didn't have time to do the West)---I have inverted kaviksdad and coffeeholic, but I think that Kaviksdad did a great job in consistently pulling Brown or Padilla in favor of Capuano against coffeeholic's lefty-loaded line-up--Capuano finished with a 6-2 record.

I didn't forsee the collapse of your SPs squad, as a result, your team departed the most from my initial predictions. I predicted that your SPs would pitcher 100 more innings than what they actually did, particularly Perez and Miller. That's about 100 extra innings that had to be picked up by Eyre and Worrell, and by a tired Mendoza (I had set them around 60 innings for the first two, and 180 IP for Mendoza). Alvarez was terrible. I think that, instead of having useless Redman, your team would have beneficiated from doing something like Kaviksdad did with Capuano--try to keep Alvarez under 25% of L-bats instead of actual 33%.

As for your offense, I still think it wasn't a good idea to rely on Payton and Youkilis in the 4th and 5th slots vs lhp. Payton's performance, barely 10 rbis per 100 AB (actually less than that vs lhp) is simply awful for a clean-up hitter....but to be honest, even a good performance for your clean-up hitter would have not given you 20 extra wins. It just happened to be one bad in the system.

I will congratulate spicki a last time. I already have one of his quote ("I will face the second best team in the league in the first series") pinned down in the lockerroom.

As for my team, everything worked out fine so far. My offense did much better than what I expected, but my pitching did worse than expected. I explain that by saying that I have underestimated the real value of my offense, and that I have been unlucky in allowing so much homeruns behind Santana and Prior (when I had him). Ergo, I have a much better team than what I first thought :lol:

I knew that injuries would hurt my team (especially when you see Burke---5e16---move in rf to replace Walker), but hopefully my team will get in the playoffs fresh, healthy and rested. If I can lower down the number of homeruns allowed and get in the playoffs healthy, then I'll have a heck of a team!!! Although, in all equity, with IRod down for the first four games, I won't have the right to complaint if I lose one of my top gun for the whole series.

Playing etdefender at home or on the road doesn't make any big difference. I will exploit etdefender's bad break, and use the speed of my team's against Redmond's +2. I plan to rely on etdefender's second biggest weakness---all lefty hitters are weak---to settle on Hermanson and O. PErez on games 3 and 4, in between of Santana and Greinke.

Would love to play the second round at home, though---and have Greinke start two games at home (1,6 or 2,7). So go wild-card!!!
MARCPELLETIER

Postby ERICTAYLOR 2 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:23 pm

Good luck to myself and the other three playoff teams, mostly to myself, I hope!
ERICTAYLOR 2

Postby uncle ny » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:01 pm

[quote:39801ac7ff="etdefender"]Good luck to myself and the other three playoff teams, mostly to myself, I hope![/quote:39801ac7ff]

Same thing, well not exactly the same, you know, except the part about you winning. :P
uncle ny

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:19 am

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
MARCPELLETIER

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:54 am

Shit, Johan gets injured in the 4th!!

And Redmon who hits the winning homerun!!

At least, I made it 1-1 by winning against RJ.

In other news, spicki's cinderella SPs had some tickles in their heels, Benitez stayed in the bullpen for some more pizza, and it's 0-2 vs uncle's corrival. Schilling didn't pitch well eitherl for uncle, but the bullpen hold it for uncle. And Schilling is coming back for game 5, if needed.
MARCPELLETIER

Postby spicki17 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:03 am

yep, sucks luckyman. looks like i lost the coin-flip that is called playoffs.
spicki17

PreviousNext

Return to --- Player's Championship