Semifinals

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Postby bigmahon » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:58 am

36 teams? Wow, I am out of touch. :shock:

I don't play much anymore, but I'm an old timer, so I'll keep pushing for the Top 12. :wink:

Oh, and does anyone else think weinberg is actually cristano1?? :?
bigmahon

Postby dadnsam » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:08 am

[b:86d7fbb1c3]J-Pav[/b:86d7fbb1c3]

In the schedule portion of the Players Championship website, the semi-final round is listed as an auto draft. I thought it had been out there that way since the beginning, if not it has at least been out there for several months.

But you are right about the 24 or 36. It still says TBD for that part.
dadnsam

Postby mesquiton » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:43 am

[quote:42f619b61d]36 teams? Wow, I am out of touch.

I don't play much anymore, but I'm an old timer, so I'll keep pushing for the Top 12.[/quote:42f619b61d]

Hey Big, better go for the 36 this year, it's still got room for us low-skilled geezers.... :wink:
mesquiton

Postby JEFFFESPERMAN » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:41 am

There have been a lot of excellent suggestions put forward in this thread and it can never hurt to have an open exchange of opinions. I also appreciate having something to do in the middle of the night while I'm battling insomnia :) I'm not a tour old-timer, but I must say that I have enjoyed playing in this year's streamlined format more than I did last year. I don't believe in change for its own sake, but I always try to keep an open mind to new ideas. I definitely support the following proposals for the next tour:

offer a tour package, perhaps six tour teams for $100 instead of the standard discount of five or offer a flat fee of $20 for entry into tour events to boost participation and lower the dropout rate (I will confess to having felt intimidated the first time I signed up for the tour, wondering whether the "big dogs" would eat my lunch)

restructure the bonus point system (give five bonus points to each division winner to reward their knife-fighting skills and one point for each playoff victory; the wildcard team should just be grateful to have lived to play another day)

factor semifinal results into standings to determine finalists (since their is only a razor's edge separating the top tier of qualifiers, I believe that a bye represents too much of a gift; allow the top 36 teams to play in the semifinals with an automatic berth to the finals for each league winner with the remaining 9 spots going to the those with the highest composite scores after the semis)

keep the semifinal leagues as autodrafts and the finals round a live draft(yes it sucks to get only 10 of the 25 guys that you wanted, but the autodrafts do require a type of skill/strategic planning that the live drafts do not and it is illogical to use them as part of the qualifying and not have them as part of the playoff structure)
JEFFFESPERMAN

Postby bigmahon » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:31 am

[quote:fde80580dc="mesquiton"][quote:fde80580dc]36 teams? Wow, I am out of touch.

I don't play much anymore, but I'm an old timer, so I'll keep pushing for the Top 12.[/quote:fde80580dc]

Hey Big, better go for the 36 this year, it's still got room for us low-skilled geezers.... :wink:[/quote:fde80580dc]
Hehe, 24th now with final team ahead in the division. Should be good enough for the final 36. :wink:

Can I place my vote here then for live drafts in the semi's?? :D
bigmahon

My 2 cents

Postby luckeroll » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:31 am

I do agree with the Tour pack. It will encourage more participation.

I do not agree with changing the bonus points structure. My reason being is that 67% of the stages are free for alls. Sometimes the talent is not the same and if you restructure the point system it will encourage people to place their team instead of just entering. This happens already but it will be more of a problem otherwise. For instance you have 4 big dogs in on division (we know the killer strat players), that division might have a champion with 85 wins. The whole division beats up on each other and the other division might have 3 n00bs. Their division leader is at 93 wins. The additional 10 pts will help the overall score and not have players trying to choose their division. I would think twice entering a division knowing that I might have a max of 7 bonus points.

With the live/auto draft discussion, I really do not care either way. I would prefer live since I perform better in these drafts, but autodraft is the natural way the game is built. Now to rewarding the higher ranked teams, then seed the divisions should be enough. It will has been posted, but to use an example is FIFA. You will have the group of death, but that is usually to an under performing powerhouse or the fact he ran against great divisional competition.

Last thought is this. To increase the popularity of the game, maybe the finals should be promoted like the All-star promotion at the beginning of the year. It will give the rest of the fantasy people a chance to glimpse into this world again with regular players. Also the winner of the league should get a spot in the next All-star challenge.
luckeroll

Semifinals round

Postby teepack » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:21 am

Guys,

It says on the league home page (and has since we posted it at the beginning of the year) that the Semifinals round is an autodraft, DH, 20% drop. Only the Finals is a live draft.

Also, we said from the beginning that we would do either 24 or 36 for the semifinals, depending upon the participation. Since we had more than 120 managers actively participating at the time, we decided to do the top 36 for the semifinals.

I'm not going to make any changes to either format at this late of a date, and I see no reason to. We can discuss changes for next year after we get to the semifinals if you want to, but it would not be fair to anybody (particularly the teams who finish 25-36) to change the number of teams who make it to the semifinals.
teepack

Postby JEFFFESPERMAN » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:19 pm

I agree with the commish, we definitely cannot change the rules in midstream. I have thrown in my two cents here only to possibly influence things in the future, not to subvert the present. I enjoy the competition of the tour and I intend to compete next season whether the format changes or not.
JEFFFESPERMAN

Postby J-Pav » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:28 pm

Guys:

I defer to the Commish. My apologies for not seeing the autodraft format listed on the tour page. Not sure when the last update took place, but I honestly remember not seeing the league listed as an autodraft until only recently.

With regard to the rest of the unfolding drama, I'm glad if nothing else it sparked some conversation for next year. I'm perfectly happy to play the autodraft, as I may be one of those most impatient when it comes to Live Drafts.

However, I still stand by the arguments I made previously. I spoke to the things that I saw as "uneven." Just one guys opinion. I totally respect [b:f9f2b1c9fe]mesquiton's[/b:f9f2b1c9fe] opinion and I hope I didn't come off as making it personal. I really felt strongly this situation deserved some discussion, which is why I posted in the first place. Hopefully we can all revisit this in the "offseason" as we prepare for next year.

For now, let's play ball -

Jeff

P.S. to [b:f9f2b1c9fe]Big[/b:f9f2b1c9fe]: It may or may not be, but I will say I long ago recognized that [b:f9f2b1c9fe]weinberg[/b:f9f2b1c9fe] is not a newb. He is definitely [i:f9f2b1c9fe]Old Guard[/i:f9f2b1c9fe]. I do suspect you are correct and have to agree. Nice call out. 8-)
J-Pav

Postby mesquiton » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:51 pm

[quote:81c2b4cae5]I totally respect mesquiton's opinion and I hope I didn't come off as making it personal.[/quote:81c2b4cae5]

Hey, no worries, thanks and likewise...and I still stand by everything I said as well... :wink:
mesquiton

PreviousNext

Return to --- Player's Championship