Tour poll #4- Do the rules need to be rewritten for clarity?

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Tour poll #4- Do the rules need to be rewritten for clarity?

Total votes : 0

Postby DOUGGRAY » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:47 pm

PBTR, I wasnt being defensive I was posting my opinion. I didnt create the tour for the "perceived" path some want to take it. I do believe insome sort of legacy. Like it or not I created it and spent 100s of hours working on it and so on. Im just posting what its original intent was.

Yes the Tour is for the community and it will evolve to whatever the majority wants but in the end the path for it doesnt look great if some get their way. This isnt defensive this is just my opinion, yes of course its just one opinion but my opinion has 100s of hours of work behind it while other opinions are just that opinions with no work behind them.
Last edited by DOUGGRAY on Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DOUGGRAY

Postby DOUGGRAY » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:50 pm

PBTR,

I dont think you understand what we have been saying and I think the only way you will understand is if you run the tour.

By all means, please run the tour next year. Opinion and asking for stuff is great until you are the person that has to execute it ;)

You want "clean up" the rules, you must get involved and work on it. You do understand that the board writes the rules yearly so infact if you where to get completely involved you inherently get to write the rules :D

If you want to be an outsider on it still then you dont get to touch the rules :D
DOUGGRAY

Postby Play By The Rules » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:56 pm

Penn apparantly your reading comprehension is not as good as your business acumen.

I HAVE NO DESIRE TO CHANGE THE RULES! I SIMPLY WANT TO SEE TO IT THAT ALL RULES ARE CLEARLY POSTED FOR ANYONE WHO CARES TO READ THEM.

I don't want to run the Tour, never said that I did, stop putting words in my mouth.

Since it appears the majority especially those in power are not interested in my offer to donate my time for this purpose, I will move on with my life.

Have a good time with "your" Tour.
Play By The Rules

Postby DOUGGRAY » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:02 pm

As I said you become part of the tour board and you can re-write but not change the rules ;)
DOUGGRAY

Postby DOUGGRAY » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:22 pm

I do have to ask what isnt clear about the rules as written now?
DOUGGRAY

Postby UTBill » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:28 pm

[quote:22ce7ff2e2="Play By The Rules"]
It's a country club old boy's network kind of discrimination that I don't think if fair to the community. [/quote:22ce7ff2e2]

As a new-comer to the tour this year, I disagree with the statement. It did not seem like an old-boys network to me. There does seem to be a lot of competitiveness among some of the more experienced owners, but that is all in good fun. Even when there were problems with something in the league (I'm in the bonehead league in League 7), I thought everything was taken care of fairly.
UTBill

Postby DOUGGRAY » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:43 pm

I for one go out of my way to help all the new players. If we are a old boys network. We wouldnt help people out with the drafts, auctions and so on. Explaining everything all the time. Hence PBTR original problem because I believe that if you make an honest MINOR mistake no penality should happen (spirit of the rules).

We will clarify the rules as much as we can, sure something are missed but we try our best to add them as we go and next year's rules will be better then this years, just like this years rules were better then last years.

I actually think its pointless for us as a group to list all the rules, enhance/modify them then just hand them off to someone else to write them AGAIN?? Its also crazy that that person doesnt want to be part of the tour board :?:
DOUGGRAY

Postby Play By The Rules » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:23 pm

[quote:7f61685f7d]I for one go out of my way to help all the new players. If we are a old boys network. We wouldnt help people out with the drafts, auctions and so on. Explaining everything all the time. Hence PBTR original problem because I believe that if you make an honest MINOR mistake no penality should happen (spirit of the rules). [/quote:7f61685f7d]

No penalty for some, penalty for others, based on the "Board judgement." Putting it in the hands of human emotion instead of simply defining the rules.

[quote:7f61685f7d]We will clarify the rules as much as we can, sure something are missed but we try our best to add them as we go and next year's rules will be better then this years, just like this years rules were better then last years. [/quote:7f61685f7d]

Oh Penn, how I love when you speak for everyone. There's really no need for a Board, is there? You've got it all under control. After all, you are the "creator..."

Of course there's absolutely NO logic in someone playing Devil's advocate and anticipating these situations BEFORE they arise, so people on the edge of the Tour's "roving justice" don't get screwed again.

[quote:7f61685f7d]I actually think its pointless for us as a group to list all the rules, enhance/modify them then just hand them off to someone else to write them AGAIN?? Its also crazy that that person doesnt want to be part of the tour board.[/quote:7f61685f7d]

Well that just about sums it up. In the last paragraph you admit that rules get added every year, to make the Tour BETTER, but here you say it's all pointless.

Some of the "rules" you have are NOT written, thus, they would not be written AGAIN- instead they would be written down for the FIRST TIME!

Oh, and are you asking me to be part of the Board? You have a funny way of asking.:roll:

What can I say? You're going to do exactly what you want to do anyways, so this is all a waste of my time. God forbid I should try to make something BETTER but obviously this is not the solution.

Have fun, guys.
Play By The Rules

Postby teepack » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:17 pm

PBTR, I don't think you're going to get the kind of satisfaction you're looking for. We are too much of a loose-knit group. I can tell you want more structure than what most of us are looking for. No problem, but if you can't reist entering into name-calling and finger-pointing diatribes when somebody disagrees with you, then perhaps it's best if you stay out.
teepack

Postby Stoney18 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:15 am

Newbie point of view.

Rules are not that complicated. This is my first year and I took the time to READ what was out there. How many times did someone question the rules of that round and NOT read the first post in the sign up thread. I can see where PBTR is upset, this bothers me also.

Seems like the biggest beef occurred because of the auction league and the person responsible did NOT read the rules (or did not understand them which wasn't that difficult). Second beef involved drafts and whether someone should be skipped because they missed their 2 hour limit.

My personal nature is - these are the rules, live by them. But from a community perspective I believe that this is a game and we all want to be as successfull as possible but sometimes real world takes precedence and if we are travelling, have family stuff, etc. and can't meet the committments, then we should have some flexibility.

I like the rules as is. I would define the time limits on live drafts and when clock is on or off for each round. (had an issue where someone wanted to keep moving but someone else said clock was off for the weekend on other drafts).

I like Penn's idea of stating the "spirit" of the league as part of the rules. Next step is to make sure the "commissioner" of each league understands this and can make rulings right away.

Summary - rules are fine, add spirit rule. I wouldn't want anyone to have any complaints about the process when I win next year. :D :D
Stoney18

PreviousNext

Return to --- Player's Championship