Event 5, League 6 - NL only draft - DRAFT ORDER SET

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Postby J-Pav » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:36 pm

Your roster is clean, so you should be good to go.

As for [b:fc5f082234]Spicki[/b:fc5f082234]'s picks, the mistakes were posted here as soon as he made them. Short of a personal phone call there's not much more we can do for him. In the end, we're all responsible for our own picks.

As for [i:fc5f082234]Zambrano[/i:fc5f082234], he's been in the National League for some time now. The draft site would not let me select any "Z" name (I couldn't bring up Zito, for example either). I did what I did to keep the draft moving along.

I'm glad you're sticking it out, you're doing the right thing for all of us involved, and I appreciate you weathering the frustrations.

Good luck -

[b:fc5f082234]J[/b:fc5f082234]
J-Pav

Thoughts on the Brewing Controversy

Postby TomSiebert » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:37 pm

Everyone has had the challenge of trying to negotiate a draft through a mix of AL/NL players once we crossed the $4MM threshhold. I do not see the difficulty with checking a player's card to see which team he played for last year. That said, we should all understand that some people have more free reign during their day to participate in a live draft.

Excluding players is arduous and imperfect work. I spent about an hour doing it a couple nights ago and it was a pain in the @$$ and I may have made a mistake with Zambrano.

I've participated in several AL/NL leagues, and there has never been as many problems as this one. I play with a steady group of guys, and about three or four of us can always be relied on to whittle down the players who aren't eligible. I did all the stadiums and some of the players and, in hindsight, I should have made some noise that perhaps someone else could step up and spend an hour excluding others.

But is this league a joke? There are seven other leagues drafting AL or NL players only. What's going on with them? Are people complaining? Did someone go in and exclude all the ineligible players? Are the drafting teams paying closer attention to the players they are drafting?

AT's team looks quite formidable to me, despite his protests otherwise. High OBA, excellent defense up the middle, a steal at DH, and Alou is a fine replacement for his AL guy. I can understand his frustration, but in the long run and big picture, I would ask that he reconsider his anger and realize his innate skill at this game will carry him through (at least until he has to start drafting starting pitching).

Please, everyone. Yes, this in an imperfect process. Yes, we need to consider people's real daily lives and careers and not rush them. Perhaps people's impatience needs to be tempered, and the draft should slow down and allow people to make sure they are drafting NL players only. As a poster who has tweaked AT in this thread for delaying his pick, I apologize and say that I need to have better empathy and understanding that not everybody works at an ad agency with constant immediate internet access and bosses who don't give a sh!t whether I'm checking the draft or not.

This game is supposed to be fun, an escape. The season's not going to start Monday anyway, so let's just slow everything down if that's what it's going to take. And if somebody who really knows the players and their respective leagues wants to start culling out the AL guys, get administrator permission and go for it.

Thank you for listening to this overlong and rambling missive.

tws
TomSiebert

Postby DHowser » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:19 pm

first off, I would like to thank all those who took the time to exclude the players that were excluded.

Secondly, I work a job where I have no internet access from 5 AM until around 3 PM, but each night before I go to bed I make enough proxies to get by for the next day. Each player that I proxy I take 2 SECONDS to click on his card to make sure he's an NL player. Really not that difficult.

If you can't take the time to make proxies when you aren't going to have internet access, and take the few seconds to check a players eligibilty then maybe a live draft isn't for you.
DHowser

Headsup: NO RYAN ZIMMERMAN IN DRAFT

Postby TomSiebert » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:42 pm

For some reason, I guess the "Z" men didn't get included in the draft? Very strange.

Anyway, anybody still looking for a 3B, Ryan Zimmerman is available. Heavy hitter vs. LH pitching, indestructable 162 game player, 2e23 defensive rating.

tws
TomSiebert

Postby J-Pav » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:00 pm

[b:f7ac14b94a]Tom[/b:f7ac14b94a]:

While you were busy writing, you missed that [i:f7ac14b94a]Sherrill[/i:f7ac14b94a] is on Seattle (AL).

And how was [b:f7ac14b94a]Barnicle[/b:f7ac14b94a] able to select [i:f7ac14b94a]Zito[/i:f7ac14b94a]? You or [b:f7ac14b94a]Stoney[/b:f7ac14b94a] must've added him back? I couldn't get ANY "Z" names to show up in my proxy search.

FWIW, last year I had two picks that I made correctly simply disappear from my roster. Then I had to go to the thread and say "Hey, my last two picks just disappeared." Then the wise guys start in saying "Yeah, my Round 5 pick just disappeared too." The point is, the draft site is great, but it does have problems at times. It's on us to keep on top of it as best we can to make things equitable for everybody. But in the end, we have to watch our own picks!

Right [b:f7ac14b94a]Tom[/b:f7ac14b94a]!?!

Now if [b:f7ac14b94a]Spicki[/b:f7ac14b94a] checks in, we can finish the last round and start loading this thing. Who says we can't load and go by tomorrow night!?!
J-Pav

Postby J-Pav » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:14 pm

The league is set up.

If we can get through the rest of this draft by 12 noon tomorrow, I can purge out any Round 16 guys that I might have just selected and forward the password.

After that, I'll be in the car heading from Green Bay back home to the Big Windy. Unfortunately, Kohler is along the route, and Kohler means [i:b1cb54b284]Whistling Straits[/i:b1cb54b284] (my clubs are in the trunk). The siren calls.

Since I am in the East, I don't want to hold up our chance to close before the 11 pm (CST) deadline to start on Monday, so I went ahead and set up a league.

Can everybody be available tomorrow to enter a team?

All who can say "aye."
J-Pav

Postby J-Pav » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:14 pm

"Aye."
J-Pav

Postby barnicle » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:36 pm

Aye
barnicle

The best intentions...

Postby TomSiebert » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:48 am

Oh well. I meant well.

I've set my draft to DROP SHERRILL. My other mistakes, include:

1- Didn't know this was only a 16-round live draft.
2- Didn't notice Zito, etc. Nice catch. Dunno why Zim/Zam don't appear
3- Pretty amazing that people would cheat and make you drop players during the draft, if that's what you're insinuating, JPav. I never cease to be disappointed by humanity.
3- Sherrill error pretty funny on my part, slightly sad too.

I'm flying out for the weekend tonight, leaving the office at around 4. I honestly don't know if I will be able to make it into the draft. I will try. But once I'm in SC my internet access is sporadic at best.

tws
TomSiebert

Postby J-Pav » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:02 am

Drop approved.

The password to "Event6League5" is z.

(That is, the one letter, lower case z).

If we make it tonite, great. If not, no big deal - I know Fridays are tough to be on the computer for a lot of us.

Tom, not having been an administrator, I never considered people would cheat with a draft. Actually, in my last year's league, I thought it was just a code error of some kind. But I guess there remains the possibility.

If I never had to do a live draft again, that wouldn't be the worst thing to happen.

But we're basically done with this one, so if we can load and go, great!
J-Pav

PreviousNext

Return to --- Player's Championship