Event 3, League 1 - Sign-up thread!

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Postby xtrap » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:03 pm

Well.. it looks like we're going to be here awhile unless guys/girls start using proxies. Wetz, and I'm sure others, are going to be gone starting tomorrow evening for the 4th of July. Hopefully we can knock a few rounds out before then...
xtrap

Postby Pan Mark » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:40 pm

I was hoping we'd have this draft done BEFORE the long weekend. Does everybody know how to use the proxies?
Pan Mark
Pan Mark

Postby xtrap » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:46 pm

[quote:67d9b47850="Pan Mark"]I was hoping we'd have this draft done BEFORE the long weekend. Does everybody know how to use the proxies?
Pan Mark[/quote:67d9b47850]

If not.. here are some tips..

The proxy system is a little complex, but once you get used to it, it is quite easy and intuitive to use. You have two ways to use the system: You can set proxies for each round, or you can set groups of proxies.

Round approach

You select a handful of players that you want and rank them in order of preference for each round. Once it is your turn to pick, the site will automatically give you the highest ranked player left on your list FOR THAT ROUND. If you put five players in your list for your first-round pick, and they are all gone when it is your turn to pick, the computer will not automatically skip down to your second-round picks. You would have to come back and make a first-round pick manually. You can list players in more than one round so in case you have a guy lower down your first-round pick, you could also put him in your second-round and third-round groups, if you wanted.

Group approach

The group approach allows you to put players in groups, and then you can have a little more flexibility with your picks. Let's say you have the No. 10 pick in the draft, which means you would have the No. 3 pick in even-numbered rounds. In the first two rounds, then, you would have the 10th and 15th overall picks, and you want to get a SS and a starting pitcher with your first two picks. Let's say that you think there are only two SS worth a first-round pick - Jimmy Rollins and Derek Jeter. And there are 3 starting pitchers you think worthy of a first-round pick - Peavy, Carmona and Sabathia. You would set one group of consisting of Rollins and Jeter. You would then mark Jeter as "delete if group picked," which means that if you get Rollins, then the system deletes your selection of Jeter so you won't wind up with two SSs with your first two picks. Then you would set the next group up with Peavy, Carmona and Sabathia. If you get either Rollins or Jeter with your first pick, that group is exhausted, and so when it came time for your next pick, the system would move to your next grouping. However, if Rollins or Jeter were both gone when it was your turn to make your first pick, the sytem would automatically move to your second grouping and pick from among the 3 pitchers you have listed. Again, you would rank Carmona and Sabathia as "delete if group picked" so that you wouldn't wind up with two pitchers taken with back-to-back picks.

I like to use the Round approach in the early rounds, because usually you are just taking the best player available in those rounds. But then as you get farther down the list, you might decide to start picking specific positions for a round, but there aren't a lot of options available, so you start using the groups option.

One other important tip: Make sure you create your SOM team BEFORE the draft, and you put the players into your roster as you are drafting so you will keep an eye on how much money you have available. In an 18-round live draft (17 players and one stadium), you can only spend $76 million, because you have to leave $4 million to fill out the 25-man roster so you will have a team that is under the $80 million mark. Every manager is responsible for keeping up with his salary cap.
xtrap

Postby JAMIEDEMILLE » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:36 pm

I would like to trade Ryan Howard if anyone is interested.

Jamie
JAMIEDEMILLE

Postby Pan Mark » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:36 pm

Are we stalled again... seems like a long haul for a "live" draft. What has been the experience of others? This is my first go at it.
Pan Mark

Postby xtrap » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:09 pm

[quote:438a179523="Pan Mark"]Are we stalled again... seems like a long haul for a "live" draft. What has been the experience of others? This is my first go at it.[/quote:438a179523]

Yes, stalled again. My experiences have always been good, but if people aren't using proxies and aren't checking in very often, the draft can stall like it is now.

Basically it's a crap shoot on whether you have a good draft or a painful draft. If everyone is [b:438a179523]courteous[/b:438a179523] and checks in and/or uses proxies the draft goes really well. I think guys tend to be nervous or unsure about how to set proxies.

I think we need to start using the clock and skipping people if they go past the allowed time or we'll be drafting till Labor Day. :wink:
xtrap

Postby Pan Mark » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:54 pm

Agreed. Unless someone has posted ahead of time that they will be unavailable, I think we should use the clock's limit. My understanding is that if someone misses their time deadline, the next player on the draft list can go ahead and pick. Is that correct?
Pan Mark

Postby xtrap » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:55 pm

Wow.. :shock: a whole day and no picks.. and now it's a holiday weekend.. unbelievable..

Enjoy your vacation Wetz, and thank you for being nice enough to announce your absence.
xtrap

Postby Pan Mark » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:52 pm

... zzzzz
Pan Mark

Postby xtrap » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:44 pm

I now have 2 SS.. Does anyone want Mcdonald?
xtrap

PreviousNext

Return to --- Player's Championship