champions league is bs

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Postby cummings2 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:54 pm

Ok, Ok, Ok...

Please add Pappa-S, B-Bombers/Doug/PBTR and Crissy to the list, in case I didn't mention Bigmahon add him as well...

Who else... well... might as well bite the bullet.

Sure, why not? add Kev to the list :roll: :wink: :D

Bottom line, as I said before is that Crissy and all who finish in the top deserve major Kudos. Me, I have lost my mojo and I am essentially out of strat while trying to get my mojo-shakin'-and-a'grovvin' again.

Oddly enough its this type of approach that had me hooked on strat for a wile, the Crissy-PappaS-Biggie-Penn type of trash talk that was fun to play in. My leaving strat is purely work related but I do miss the not-so-sanitized version of a few years back.

As far as being afraid of managers... I ain't 'fraid of nobody. I never change my game, I can take it and dish anytime so, I'm callin' you out Crissy 'n Pappa-S upon my return to regular SOM activities I'm taking on the both of you. Its going to be Pappa-S and Crissy Vs. C2 and Kev.

You name the league/format/draft/anything... I'll just show up and beat you senseless.

M'kay pumpkins?

C2
cummings2

Postby Terry101 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:43 pm

It is difficult to know who are the 20 or 50 best managers because some people play lots of auto leagues .(35 of the 41 teams I played in 07 were Vet leagues). I would like to think I am in the top 20 or so,(but, apparently not according to these posts) -although I buy Cristano's argument of the randomness and think that I could lose 100 games in the Tour final- some people play all sorts of theme leagues and people, like Luckyman, (who I consider the best manager) play experimental teams. I know I do -all clutch or all great fielding or try as many different stadiums, etc. That's what makes the game fun for me. There are managers who use Joe's ratings and since his ratings are apparently very good( I do not use his ratings- in fact, it would be nice to play in a league with managers who just use their own evaluation of the cards- not Joe's) it is difficult to know how much their managerial abiltiy counts and how much is due to Joe's ratings. For example, I wonder how many of the 12 finalists are using Joe's ratings.
My proposal would be, at the end of the tour, have either a 60 or 200 mil league with a live 18 round (or whatever the normal Tour amount is) but with the first 2,4 or 6 or so rounds be a NON-SERPENTINE draft in the order of the first 12 point getters in the Tour. The would give the higher finishers an advantage and would address Cristano's argument of the randomness of a one league playoff.
And, I say 60 or 200 because these would accentuate player evaluation knowledge.
Also, again, the managers winning pct. is not a true evaluation because of the above mentioned factors. I know when I play in a league with Cristano, Luckman, Detroit Tigers, Uncle NY as well as [b:b1ef5c0a4f]dozens[/b:b1ef5c0a4f] of others I understand they are actually better than their winning pct.
Terry101

Postby KEVINEHLE » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:59 pm

Chuck, did I just see you aligning yourself with me in a duel? You must be reaaaalllly confident in your abilities to make up for my shortcomings..............or you are insane! :lol:

As far as evaluating managers, I can say that I have never ever used any sort of outside help........I only glance at cards (not study) and never apply mathematical formulas to choose my players. I literally wing it each and every time. I will throw a team together in 5 minutes and go. I think I have enough Strato savvy to compete with anyone on my own.

I've only been in one or two public leagues in years! I earn every win against some of the best in every league. I always wondered how well I would do if I did go the extra mile and study cards for hours, subscribe to Joe's ratings, jump into public leagues to raise my winning pcg................but then it occurs to me that this has suddenly "NOT GOT FUN!!"

Kev
KEVINEHLE

Postby cristano11 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:28 pm

terry-
how can i be better than my winning percentage? my winning percentage is #1 among all managers

elkev-
i dont use joes ratings, and never have. people paying to use someone elses ratings is humiliating. analyze it urself. who would pay someone else to analyze a team for them? thats so embarrassing.

c2-
can u not tell me to bring it until u have at least a 510 winning percentage
cristano11

Postby Terry101 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:43 pm

Cristano,

I only meant to say that because you may play to experiment or to try new things, you-or anyone- may end up with a poor team thereby hurting your winning pct. In other words, your winning pct could even be better if all you did is let's say play in only one stadium, draft only the exact players, play only in auto leagues, etc. In no way am I saying anything negaitve about your abllity or arguing any of your points- I agree with much of you said on these posts-( hey, I would rather face 99% of the managers rather than you) especially the part about the randomness of the finals. That is why I proposed a solution to your randomness problem.
Terry101

Postby keyzick » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:55 pm

Well, the rubber will hit the road in another couple months when the last of Event 7 league is done.

But by then everyone can start arguin' about the 08 season.

FWIW...I'd add:

Toshiro
Fowldawg
Socalchiro
Jeepdriver
Geekor

Some are prime examples of guys who may suffer some in win pct. due to experimenting, but know there sh**, all great managers in my eyes, in addition to the others already mentioned here.
keyzick

Postby cummings2 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:15 pm

[quote:f2a76e8673="cristano1"]
c2-
can u not tell me to bring it until u have at least a 510 winning percentage[/quote:f2a76e8673]

:lol:

Attsa the spirit Crissy 8-)

Just remember that I am still the champ and you are still nothing more than an also-ran.

For all your talk of greatness you just backed off from an easy match against Kev and myself. Now, go ahead and use your pathetic excuse of winning pctgs. ... after everything has been said and done remember you bowed to great C2 by going all french on me and refusing a match in the same ring.

C'mon pumpkin... whatsa the matta? Can't match against good ol' C2... bit 'fraid are you? C'mon cupcakes... let me bask in your greatness... you and me, mano a mano, one on one...

Gauntlet has been thrown yet again.

C'mon babybuckets... pick it up.

C2
cummings2

Joe's ratings

Postby FRANKZAHN » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:17 pm

Just a dumb question from someone not in the loop. Who is Joe and what ratings are you talking about?
FRANKZAHN

Postby Detroit-Tigers » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:31 pm

Joe's ratings = joethejet

Guy who does ratings and sells them. PM him for information.

And Terry, thanks for the love. .543 in 2007, but not enough championships :(
Detroit-Tigers

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:56 am

Hi gang,

Thanks for putting me in those nice lists. But I tell you: I would be RUSTED this year :shock:

I came to see out of curiosity who won the 2007 tour---I'm surprised the final league has still not begun. Gee, it's february!!!

I couldn't play at all this year; just too overwhelmed by work. and don't blame the girl. I won't play next year either. Too bad.

Which makes me think by the way: anyone wants freebies? I think I have three or four freebies in my record. Just throw in your interest, and I'll send you my password.

Also, I have to set the record straight on a few things:

1-spicki, you did repeat last year by finishing in the top 12, but you didn't make the playoffs. Your team finished 12 games back behind my team!! :wink: I believe I am the only one multiple winner who made the playoffs on all occasions. Too bad I had to replicate the Billy Beane's A's fame, though, of making the playoffs smart but never winning it all :oops:

2- Still, you did have a better season than your bro's, last year...who didn't make it top 12, neither top 20 if I recall correctly :P :P He wasn't talking so loud either at this time of year :lol:

3- BTW, don't write off stevep of your lists among best managers. Finished among top 12 last year AND he dominated the championship league with a 97-65 record, only to lose in the finals. AND he's making the top 12 again this year.

4-Uncleny, if my memory serves well, will make it his 4th straight top 12 appearance if he can hold on to his spot. Certainly deserves the credit for that.

5-I wholeheartedly disagree that a finale season is meaningless. Sure, there is more random than if you'd be playing 5 seasons. But on the other hand, there is also a true challenge to be met.

First, you have to win your division (or else hope for the WC) against three elite players, who have the potential to counter your winning strategy with strategies of their own in a way no other managers can. I remember last year, Bombers gathered a heck of Right-handed hitting team in a perfect stadium, but his division mates counter-react with full lefty teams and reverse lefty pitching. Bombers finished with a .500 record, but played like .400 inside his division and .600 outside his division (I know for a fact, as I just checked, that he started the season (against his division) 6-12 and finished the season (against his division) 11-19...so that a .354 record. You can't win a division this way. In any other league, I'm sure bombers would have dominated, or at least made the playoffs, as his team was perfect for his stadium. But against his lefty-oriented divisional teams, Bombers was just overwhelmed.

Of course, there is also this challenge of drafting players against elite managers who know best where to find the nice sleepers during the draft.

Good luck all, and I put my money on DetroitTigers. I like the built-ups of his teams, and he played in real tough divisions!!!
MARCPELLETIER

PreviousNext

Return to --- Player's Championship