champions league is bs

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Postby stevep107 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:45 am

I can relate to what Cristano is saying in some ways. I made it to the Champions league last year and managed to win 97 games against tough competition. The next highest team had 90 wins. So, I was feeling pretty good going into the finals.

But any team can beat any other team on any given day. And, as luck would have it, C2 beat me in the finals series 4-2. Well done to C2 who is a great player. I was a bit disappointed but that's the way it goes.

There is obviously an element of luck involved in the game but I don't agree with Cristano that the same team can win 80 games in one league and 100 games in another league. It is extremely unlikely (but not mathematically impossible) for luck to produce such extreme outcomes.

The last thing I'd like to say to Cristano is that there is no question that you are a terrific strato player as evidenced by your win percentage. But a touch of humility would go a long way to maintaining a happy, friendly relationship with the other people involved with this game. :)

Kind regards,
stevep107
stevep107

Postby LMBombers » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:21 am

[quote:67baebd1fb="cristano1"]wait for the top 12 to draft their teams in the champions league... then simulate the league using the computer game... as u will see, my team will be the best...[/quote:67baebd1fb]

:lol: I love it! Why do we even have playoffs in any league. The team with the best regular season record should be considered the Champion. :lol: :lol:

The regular season in any league, or the first 7 rounds of this tournament, don't mean anything except to qualify for the playoffs, or Championship league in this case. You can have the best record (most points in this tourny) or be the Wild Card team (be the 12th qualifier in this tourny) it simply does not matter. What matters is that you qualified for the playoffs (Championship league). What sport crowns the team with the best regular season record the Champ? I can't think of any except maybe some college football conferences.
LMBombers

Postby JAMESSCHUBERT » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:31 pm

Not even Bret Boone, Edgar Martinez, Ichiro and company were saying this after they won 110+ games w/o getting to the World Series
JAMESSCHUBERT

Postby mesquiton » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:30 am

Just a word of comfort for the unlucky eleven who must be trembling in their spikes at the prospect of facing Mister Dominant in the Champions League:

In his 5 tour leagues, he has faced only 2 current top-12 managers. He has played in a league with another top-12 manager only twice. Both of those managers had better season records than he did in those leagues, by an average of 4.5 games.

In other words, Mister Dominant has so far finished ahead of another top-12 manager a grand total of ZERO times.

No wonder he's already making excuses. :wink:
mesquiton

Postby MICHAELTARBELL » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:18 pm

We all know the rules and format when we sign up. If you don't like it, just don't participate...easy enough :wink:
MICHAELTARBELL

Postby cummings2 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:29 pm

Last year I got some lucky bounces and managed to eke out steve "The Thunder from down under" for the champinship... Personally I think Steve, Maligned, Luckyman, LMBombs and Qksilver -all of whom were in the champs leage- not only had better teams than me but are also way-way-WAY better managers than me. Still it was fun to play with the Top-Guns. Just for the sheer fun of it I think the league is well worth it.

However I do think that Crissy's point has some substance. There should be some sort of benefit that the top ranked manager gets for the highest points. My opinion is that the Live Draft order for the championship league should follow the final rankings, so that if you strive all the way to the very end to end up #1 qualifying your reward is not just bragging rights but the top pick for the Champs league.

But if we are going to argue that we give the championship to the better manager lets not play any rounds and just give it to either one of the following as they are the best managers out there, in my honest opinion:

Luckyman
Riggo
PBTR
Jerlins
Bigmahon
Stoney18
Stevie "Thunder from Down Under"
Maligned
LMBombers
Geekor
J-Pav
EdgecityTx
Cubit
Beach45
Qksilver
DeanTSC
ArrylT
JoeTheJet (And anyone who uses his ratings)
Mesquiton
Kaviksdad
Leehaak
swpsychic
Jeepdriver "The Keith Richards Granddaddy of strat"
Sandlotshrink
Wcaplan (Actually both Caplan brothers are pretty good)
Bobm1007
JDEarly (By far one of the best out there)

...well, that's all I can think of in one go, I'm sure I'm missing some good ones though... but Alas! Gasp! Oh, Jeez! Did I leave Crissy's name out of the default champs list? Oh boy my bad Crissy... next year, just wait til next year :wink:

You know I'm just being silly and having fun. No Matter what happens here's a big congrats to Crissy for his dominant run (We Should give props when due) and all best of luck to the dirty dozen that make it to the big dance.

C2 -over and out-
cummings2

Re: champions league is bs

Postby uncle ny » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:28 pm

[quote:37348e729e="cristano1"]how about not even having a champions league? and crowning the person with the highest average points after 7 leagues the champion? why leave it up to a coin-flip type event? i only say this because of the last 3 tours, i will finish #1 in two of them... that is truly dominant...
right now i am 8 points better than the number 12 manager... EIGHT points on average over 5 events... the margin between he and i is so large that i dont see the point of letting him play in the same final league as me... everyone knows that just one final league is a coin-flip at best... id even be fine with a champions league that counts 2x toward ur overall standings... but to have it be the sole deciding factor of tour champion is ridiculous...[/quote:37348e729e]

As a past winner and in genera regular contender, I have to say that I think the championship league is a fine idea, and I look forward to winning again this year.

My only complaint is that they started in with the prizes one year too late. 8-)
uncle ny

Postby teepack » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:07 am

Quit bellyaching, Cristano. :)

I still remember the 1973 Reds, who had the best record in the majors that year with a 99-63 record and lost in the playoffs to the New York Mets, who went 82-79 in the regular season. The Mets would have finished fourth in the NL West that year.

Nobody remembers what you did in the regular season. It's the playoffs that count, and the Tour will be no different!
teepack

Postby Sykes25 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:00 am

If you don't like what you are watching on TV? Change the channel.

If you don't like the format of the tour, don't play in it.

When we lay it on the table, some have bigger equipment than the others. If it malfunctions after 3 pumps, what good is it really? :wink:
Sykes25

PreviousNext

Return to --- Player's Championship