champions league is bs

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

champions league is bs

Postby cristano11 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:43 pm

how about not even having a champions league? and crowning the person with the highest average points after 7 leagues the champion? why leave it up to a coin-flip type event? i only say this because of the last 3 tours, i will finish #1 in two of them... that is truly dominant...
right now i am 8 points better than the number 12 manager... EIGHT points on average over 5 events... the margin between he and i is so large that i dont see the point of letting him play in the same final league as me... everyone knows that just one final league is a coin-flip at best... id even be fine with a champions league that counts 2x toward ur overall standings... but to have it be the sole deciding factor of tour champion is ridiculous...
cristano11

Postby LMBombers » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:04 pm

Who is to say that his competition level in his leagues, or in his divisions even, hasn't been greater than yours? Joining the leagues so far has been random. The Championship league will take what is believed to be the 12 best managers and seeing who can win versus the best competition.

The team with the best regular season record doesn't always win the Championship in any sport so why should this be any different?
LMBombers

Postby LANCEBOUSLEY » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:59 pm

actually you are 7.2 pts better on average than i am cristano! :D

but given your logic we shouldn't have a world series, especially if a WC team gets in.... because over 162 games... a division winner with 90 wins is the better team.....

i think crash said it... that's why we play the game....
LANCEBOUSLEY

Postby warrenbob52 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:31 pm

I was eliminated a long time ago in this but what I am hearing by this logic is we should do away with play offs
warrenbob52

Postby luckeroll » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:42 pm

Naw I say keep the final league because you cannot have equal competition in each qualifying round. Some people might end up playing with rooks or fillers while others are stuck in a Loaded league.
luckeroll

Postby keyzick » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:17 pm

I don't even know why any of the rest of us play. It's obvious cristano is the best player in the world. Heck, we should just give him a pretty blue ribbon right now! Or maybe a quarter, so he can buy a clue.
keyzick

Postby JAMESSCHUBERT » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:48 am

with all due respect.....you have never finished ahead of my team this year
JAMESSCHUBERT

Postby JEFFFESPERMAN » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:11 pm

Until we can develop a reliable power rating system, I believe we have to stick to champions league finale. Not every victory is of equal value. What do you say to the team that finishes 13th in the overall rankings? We are all subject to the foibles of HAL and fate. I have no doubt that Cristano1 is a good manager, but in round one play Cristano1 captured the wild card by a one game margin. My team was 11-13 in head-to-head games and a swing of two games would have made my team the wild card in his place so I certainly don't feel intimidated by his greatness.

In an effort to further equalize the competition, I would personally like to something along these lines:

(1) require everyone to participate in the first five rounds with random league assignments
(2) use everyone's four best scores to determine the top 24 players who are then seeded and play two additional rounds against each other to determine 12 finalists who duke it out in a winner takes all finale.
JEFFFESPERMAN

Postby mesquiton » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:56 am

Guys, you gotta understand that cristano is a Strat legend...in his own room (except of course when his little brother spicki is there).

He's just making excuses in advance, because he knows he's likely to get his butt handed to him once again in the Champions League, like he did after endlessly running his mouth about how he would dominate the one other time he was there.

Then it was only the playoffs that he whined in advance were a 'coin flip'. Fortunately, he was spared the indignity of a 'coin flip' in those playoffs, because he was lucky to barely finish 7th in that league, even tho he played in by far the weakest division. I'm still wondering how such a dominant player could suck so badly with all the marbles on the table in a live draft league?

He did get real quiet for a long time after that tho....
mesquiton

Postby cristano11 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:09 pm

guys-
someone can say i went 13-11 against them, or finished below them in one event, or finished wc in the weakest division... its all about averages... 103 is dominant this year... my 112 was dominant before... the champions league is a coinflip... if u dont believe me, draft a strat team on the computer version... you will notice things like this... 80 wins, 98 wins, 100 wins, 84 wins, 85 wins, etc... i could draft the best team ever, and it could still win 80 times at the 75th percentile... any single season is luck... long term averages are pure skill... and in my initial posting, i said i was fine with a 2x weight assigned to the champions league... anyone who is in disagreement do this: wait for the top 12 to draft their teams in the champions league... then simulate the league using the computer game... as u will see, my team will be the best, but it will only make playoffs 75-80% of the times... every single team i draft does this... look at the other 20% of the time... u will see 78 wins, 80 wins, 82 wins, etc... that is called random luck... ANYONE who doesnt believe me, test it... ive done this 100 times before, same result... you can program all 5 of my 2007 teams into the computer game... u will see that EACH of them wins, on average, the most number of games... EACH of the makes playoffs on average the most times... but NONE of them makes playoffs 100% of the times... only the unskilled are advocates of a champions league carrying 100% of the weight...
cristano11

Next

Return to --- Player's Championship