Is this owner collusion? How much does it matter?

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Is this owner collusion? How much does it matter?

Postby tersignf » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:46 pm

REPEATED FROM MAIN BOARD TO REACH TOUR-FOCUSED FOLKS

OK Guys...In my first non-Tour autoleague for 2005 right now (need to boost my stats a bit this year!).
One chap accused 2 folks of colluding because they(or the one person) made a trade:

Mulder/Zeile for Lowell/Schilling

and these 2 teams are #1 and #2 in waiver picks.

Granted, looks fishy, but how much advantage is there really, considering cap limits etc? Any vets come across this before?

I realize there's an advantage, especially toward end of season for playoff roster moves, but just wanted some thoughts from the community, especially the perennially contenders like PBTR, cristano, penngray et al.
Cheers
Frank
tersignf

Postby CHARLESBELL » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:58 pm

There simply isn't enough information to claim collusion based on one trade, no matter how unbalanced it looks. If suspicious activity continues with these two teams then there might be reason to have it looked into.
CHARLESBELL

Postby teepack » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:33 pm

If it's pre-waivers, anything goes. I've made wildly unbalanced offers in pre-waivers before in an attempt to clear up salary space so that I can try to get some better players in the waivers and FA frenzy afterwards.
teepack

Postby rudys raiders » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:00 pm

could theguy getting Zeile and mulder also be receiving the other guys waiver pick therefore have 1 and2 on the waiver wire

Rudy
rudys raiders

Postby tersignf » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:31 pm

I think a pick was involved. Anyway, it didn't raise my eyebrows at all...but it raised someone's ire on the league mail and I thought it was out of bounds to make the accusation. I was just curious if I was being unfair to the guy who felt slighted. He was pretty much overcome by "shut up and play ball" from the rest of us after I pointed out that 1( no way to prove it 2) still have an 80M cap and 3) saps the fun right out of everything from the start to worry about that nonsense.
Plus my team was still better anyway! :)
Kendall, Mora, Drew, Berkman and Casey in the lineup :shock:

Anyways, Cheers
tersignf

Postby dneedle1 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:28 pm

In my view, Lowell is MUCH worse than simply valueless. Now Schilling is valuable in the right park, but so is Mulder. VALUE-wise, the trade is only unbalanced, not wildly so. Since you can only drop 2 people pre-waivers, there may well be value in giving Lowell away. Based only on the info available, any accusation of collusion is wildly premature, imho.
dneedle1

Postby 1crazycanuk » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:06 pm

Hmm...around this same time I had some jerkoff accusing me and another guy of cheating because he traded me Oliver Perez for Maddux in PRE waivers time. Seems some people have nothing better to do than go around causing trouble for no reason. I guess the threat of libel charges doesn't scare anyone. :roll:
1crazycanuk

Postby teepack » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:34 am

If it's pre-waivers, then anything goes, in my opinion. I've made deals before in waivers to free up salary space, especially when I got stuck with people like Lowell who would have no value in my park or against my divisional foes (i.e. very few lefty starters on the other three teams in my division).
teepack

Return to --- Player's Championship