Event #4 - Live Draft - League #6

the official tournament of the All-Time Greats VI player set

Postby Maxie Minoso » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:34 pm

[quote:e3c0c556fa]I'd be happy to hand this off to you for next year. [/quote:e3c0c556fa]
You didn't ask me but I'd answer, "No way!"

Right now Moose is overseeing eight live draft leagues all with similar issues that this league has seen during the past week. Scan the other message boards and you will see some issues that boggle the mind. They range from well meaning owners creating the league with errors and without permission, to the more common drafting mistakes and the most common, as mentioned in the film "Cool Hand Luke", "What we have here is a failure to communicate." This results in frustration throughout the rest of the league as we check repeatedly the draft (and loading) status.

If I were heading up the Barnstormers today I'd be chewing up golf balls like they were candy.

Maxie
Maxie Minoso

Postby mighty moose » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:40 pm

I've already made the decision that IF I run a 2012 version of this tournament, there is no way that I will schedule another LIVE DRAFT.

I cut it down from 2 in 2010 to 1 in 2011 - and that ONE is (was) more than I can handle. The main problem is that each new Barnstormers season brings 10-20 NEW PLAYERS who have no idea how live draft works, and I have to explain and hold hands all over again.

But of course it wasn't ENTIRELY about the live draft that is the issue here, it's people loading their teams and being where they need to be, and this is an issue in EVERY event.

Now I would like nothing more than to REQUIRE phone numbers from everyone and that would have me dialing up the phone everytime someone was 5 minutes overdue on their pick. But I tend to think we are all adults here and can be responsible and try to keep this obligations at least in the top 5 of things to do that day.
mighty moose

Postby alvarndc » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:50 pm

Moose,

I thought I was pretty clear that my question was an honest one (admittedly with a wee bit of snark), and NOT directed at you personally.

I am at a loss as to how to process this comment:

"Now I do have delete capabilities for your posts and I could have removed them as being unnecessary."

Posting a question and communicating with league members is "unnecessary"?

Isn't the individual league chat section on a public forum EXACTLY the place where I should be able to ASK A QUESTION?
alvarndc

Postby mighty moose » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:13 pm

Did you get an answer to your question ? - No. Did you really expect to get one ? Probably not. - So posting it was clearly (in my opinion) more of expressing frustration than it was trying to find out why the 5-6 people (at that point) had not entered their team in time for a Monday start.

Since I'm the one that has both e-mail addresses and a few phone numbers for some players, the better way to achieve your goal would be to e-mail me and see if I am watching and can contact them directly. If it's one or two, I'd probably bend over backwards to get ahold of them. If it's 5-6, I'd probably tell you to chill for another week.

I see that in this league forum, you have posts from at maximum 6 of the 12 players in this league, so there are quite a few that are most likely not even following the goings on here. The ones you were probably most trying to reach don't have a clue.

And yes I certainly agree with your posting - more out of frustration - that since everyone here was drafting on Friday, why weren't they around to load their teams ? But as I said, there just isn't much that anyone can do about it. So in that sense, it really was an unnecessary post.
mighty moose

Postby pacoboy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:40 pm

thetallguy747 - No, we didn't stay at the Hershey Hotel. Generally stay at the Hershey Lodge (similar and you also get the candy bar) but that's a $75/ night candy bar compared to the Hampton Inn we stayed at :D

...friggin wash out yesterday but over all a good trip.

As for this LIVE DRAFT. I've been LIVE DRAFTING since TSN started this game way way back - before there was a LIVE DRAFT SOFTWARE, before there was ALL TIME GREATS teams.

..in fact I organized the first ever LIVE IN PERSON TSN SOM Draft at the TSN Offices in NYC w/ Mr. Bernie himself in the league.

I love live drafts. I hope we continue them. Matter of fact I don't think we have enough of them. Prefer this than the AUTODRAFT crap shoot.

....but I must say, this was the ONLY live draft in all my years that took 3 days to get past round 1. :shock:

That being said, considering we did NOT have a week but actually 3 days to finish - it went EXTREMELY well.

This was - like all LIVE DRAFTS - a very interesting one w/ many strategies to counter here. Look forward to the challenge. Good luck boys
pacoboy

Postby thetallguy747 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:53 pm

Pacoby,

Since it was on my employer's tab, I stayed at the fancy hotel. :wink:

I agree with you about live in-person drafts. I organized a live draft league each year in graduate school. Saturday mornings -- beer, bacon, donuts, and coffee. Before PC's. Two wives would update the big draft board after each pick. At least three of those newby SOM managers went on to organized live draft leagues at the places they ended up after graduation. Fun, fun, fun.

Kevin A

P.S. Moose, don't delete this post. It's just a chatty thing. :P

Off for Hawaii in three hours. Woo Hoo!!!
thetallguy747

Postby The Timelords » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:22 am

"As for this LIVE DRAFT. I've been LIVE DRAFTING since TSN started this game way way back - before there was a LIVE DRAFT SOFTWARE, before there was ALL TIME GREATS teams.

..in fact I organized the first ever LIVE IN PERSON TSN SOM Draft at the TSN Offices in NYC w/ Mr. Bernie himself in the league.

I love live drafts. I hope we continue them. Matter of fact I don't think we have enough of them. Prefer this than the AUTODRAFT crap shoot.

....but I must say, this was the ONLY live draft in all my years that took 3 days to get past round 1. :shock:

That being said, considering we did NOT have a week but actually 3 days to finish - it went EXTREMELY well. "

Pacoboy said it well. Sorry about the holdup at the beginning of last week.... I like live drafts as well..... and many of you will remember the days when this message board was the only way conduct a live draft! Instead of dropping the live drafts entirely, maybe it would be possible to make then an option for one of the rounds next year? Let those who want a live draft choose that, and allow anyone else to choose an autodraft.
The Timelords

Previous

Return to --- ATG Barnstormers Tour