Barnstormers 2011 - let's get some discussion going

the official tournament of the All-Time Greats VI player set

Postby PotKettleBlack » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:14 pm

One idea:
Reduce rounds from 6 to 5, continuing to drop one.

Another:
Subset rounds were good in the previous BS tour, would like to see it back.

Third:
Like the idea of 24 team round. understand logistical issues.

Fourth:
Closer overlaps of round starts to decrease the time commitment. New event starting every 5 weeks would keep people from having more that two teams going at a time (for BS), would give plenty of space for dope draft, or planning the autodraft list.

Fifth:
I wonder if it would be possible to introduce some seeding into the semi-finals. So, the top qualifier goes into a division with the last qualifier, and the two middle guys, and so on. Seems complicated as I write it, but I imagine there is a tournament seeding tool on the internet that could be moved to excel and applied.

Fifth:
I like drafting on Dope a lot. Of course, I've done better in my two draft leagues on average, so maybe I'm biased by results. The flow is good.

Six:
A good job was done by you and the board. My second BS tour, and I did better this go than last, am in the semi's again, and fairing better than last go.
PotKettleBlack

Postby guardian154 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:05 pm

[quote:09efa4c9f3="PotKettleBlack"]One idea:
Reduce rounds from 6 to 5, continuing to drop one.

Another:
Subset rounds were good in the previous BS tour, would like to see it back.

Third:
Like the idea of 24 team round. understand logistical issues.

Fourth:
Closer overlaps of round starts to decrease the time commitment. New event starting every 5 weeks would keep people from having more that two teams going at a time (for BS), would give plenty of space for dope draft, or planning the autodraft list.

Fifth:
I wonder if it would be possible to introduce some seeding into the semi-finals. So, the top qualifier goes into a division with the last qualifier, and the two middle guys, and so on. Seems complicated as I write it, but I imagine there is a tournament seeding tool on the internet that could be moved to excel and applied.

Fifth:
I like drafting on Dope a lot. Of course, I've done better in my two draft leagues on average, so maybe I'm biased by results. The flow is good.

Six:
A good job was done by you and the board. My second BS tour, and I did better this go than last, am in the semi's again, and fairing better than last go.[/quote:09efa4c9f3]

I agree with everything here except line 1 and ditto on point number 6.
Great job.
guardian154

Thanks Moose and everyone for the Tour

Postby centerfielder17 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:06 am

I think it's great and keeps me into TSNSOM.

Ideas:

24 team league is intriguing. There sure are enough players to choose from now.

Seeding for the semi final round is a good idea too.

Ever think of mandating ballpark types for a few of the leagues? Maybe have one where only types 1 and 2 can be selected and one where we just use types 4 and 5? Would test your ability to build certain tyles of teams against comparable squads. Now, if you build a pitching team and get entered into a bomber league, you probably are going to get killed.
centerfielder17

Re: Thanks Moose and everyone for the Tour

Postby JohnnyBlazers » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:44 pm

[quote:420a6b9566="centerfielder17"]I think it's great and keeps me into TSNSOM.

Ideas:

24 team league is intriguing. There sure are enough players to choose from now.

Seeding for the semi final round is a good idea too.

Ever think of mandating ballpark types for a few of the leagues? Maybe have one where only types 1 and 2 can be selected and one where we just use types 4 and 5? Would test your ability to build certain tyles of teams against comparable squads. Now, if you build a pitching team and get entered into a bomber league, you probably are going to get killed.[/quote:420a6b9566]

I think this is a good idea - have one round where everyone must pick from a stadium from a specific group. How about Neutral parks only?
Everyone knows the formula in Smallball and Bomber styles, but Neutral?
I dont think there's a tried and true formula.

Personally, I don't like the 140m or 200m caps.

24 team league round is a good idea, provided that the logistics over setting this up don't drive Moose batty :P

We have so many cards that the choices are infinite

I propose this set -up

1) 80m, No DH, LIVE
2) 100m DH, Auto Draft
3) Choice of league - Modern Era, players from 1960? to present/Deadball 1900-1920?/Golden Era 1920-1959). 80 or 100 cap, no DH
4) 24 team League
5) 60M cap
6) All Neutral Parks leagues

I enjoy the tournament but it is getting a little stale. We need to change it up a bit The live drafts I could do without. I think it is more challenging to do auto-drafts. What kind of team can you come up with when you don't get the players you target for your park? The game has gotten pretty formulaic -

I think the point system in determining the standings is good - top 9 make Finals
Next 24 ranked managers make semifinals - two leagues, Finals winner of each get in Finals

Next 24 Ranked go in one 24 team, ultimate Wild Card league, champ gets in for last slot in Finals

That would give a few more players one last shot and would increase interest to the end

Just some ideas

The guys that get 5 teams every week have an advantage in live drafts - they know who to target and when - Auto Drafts levels the field a bit
JohnnyBlazers

Ideas

Postby Dahlyia » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:35 pm

The one issue I have with ATG is too many players in the mix... made worse with ATG6.

My suggestion is to run at least one pre WW2 league, and one post WW2 league.

I also feel the 140M dollar option is based on too much luck/die rolling, as the teams are all too strong.
I would prefer to play all rounds at 60 or 80M, But I am probably in the minority. It is simply a better challenge to create teams, the less we start with.

Finally, I have found the tournament very enjoyable; with the demise of the Good People Tournament, I suspect participation will be WAY up.

Thanx again!
Dahlyia

Postby rjohaire » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:17 pm

Here's how I would do the 6:

1) 80m, No DH live draft
2) 100m DH live draft
3) Choice of league -pre or post
4) Choice of league - AL or NL
5) 24 team League - 60M cap
6) 24 team League - 80 mil DH
rjohaire

Postby mighty moose » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:36 am

Just some general comment.

I liked Johnnyblazers ideas for the semi-finals and the 24 team league for the absolute final spot.

RE: 60 Mil league - I just don't think interest is very high for the 60 - would need to see more support for it.

Same goes for the SUBSET events. When we had them before, there were a lot more that didn't like them than there was support for them.

Moose
mighty moose

Postby DonFESQ » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:02 pm

would like to see 6 events all live drafted - 80, 100, and 140m once with DH and once with no DH. No subsets.
DonFESQ

Postby Mr Baseball World » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:41 pm

I'll weigh in in the next couple of days......
Mr Baseball World

Postby PotKettleBlack » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:56 pm

My interest in a subset draft is higher than my interest in 60M leagues.
My interest in subset drafts is lower than my interest in live drafts, 140m leagues. I do like the variety offered by AL/NL splits, or pre/post splits.
PotKettleBlack

PreviousNext

Return to --- ATG Barnstormers Tour