WOW :(

Postby Hack Wilson » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:19 pm

I think the search functions especially stink. Yes, they include more options, but it takes extra steps to get to the basic ones and beyond. I don't like it.
Hack Wilson

Postby Salty » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:50 pm

Hack-
My guess is that many of the functions that suck right now can be altered.
BTW- its not that I disagree with what you are saying- I just get the impression that this stuff is easier to change around on a newer site.
Only time will tell how the game does overall in retaining all of the vets who made it happen in the first place.

As to what Nev said- thats the point exactly.
This has not been a fly-by night move that was done with no options left on the table.
Its been coming for a while- and likely partly in response to TSN lack of will to grow the game.
Im sure at some point they recognized that its not their proprietary property.
Im not sure why people are suggesting over and over again that we are 'lucky' that anyone is running the game at all- Bernie has never claimed that to be the case, nor has he claimed that this is some sort of last ditch effort to 'save' the game.
Salty

Postby Mr Baseball World » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:05 am

Common sense says that the Stratomatic baseball game was on TSN pursuant to a contract between TSN and Strat. Contracts have termination dates. Extension beyond that date would only be done by agreement of the two parties. Contracts also have rules for renewal as well as rules as to when either party must decide to opt out. It is not unreasonable to assume that strat had given the termination notice before Bernie could share that with us. Presumably Strat was obligated to keep the product at TSN until the end of the contract and TSN was obligated to keep the doors open until then if strat wanted them to do so. Logically TSN and Strat would both have to agree to any extension(s) of time.

Yes, nev, they are speculating but the fact that it was talked about for some time does not mean that they are wrong.
Mr Baseball World

Postby nevdully's » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:28 am

True.

Also[b:6afbb8f434] from Bernie on Oct 26th...[/b:6afbb8f434]
[quote:6afbb8f434]For the past few months, I've been working on rewriting the entire site in PHP - a language that everyone uses! - and migrating the backend database from Oracle to MySQL, which will make things easier and save a ton of money. And what happens when you rewrite something; of course, you seize the opportunity to make it better, at the ground level.

[b:6afbb8f434]The project is gigantic and still another few months from completion,[/b:6afbb8f434] but here's where I tell you what it will get us. Note that our #1 short-term priority is to simply get the site working with its existing functionality with minimal disruption to you at the switchover time, so I'm not saying that these advantages will be immediately realized in the next few months. Some will be, though. [/quote:6afbb8f434]

As Salt writes...
[quote:6afbb8f434]This has not been a fly-by night move that was done with no options left on the table.
Its been coming for a while[/quote:6afbb8f434]

The failure to this point and hopefully ultimate success of this move has little to do with TSN kicking Bernie out...
nevdully's

Postby voovits » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:18 am

I dont remember where the post was, and dont feel like looking for it at the moment, but Bernie said something alluding to the possibility that the move is happening because TSN wanted to stop running this game.
I would bet (if true) that there was no exact deadline for the move, but as time wore on, the upper management of TSN was starting to apply more pressure to get it done.
voovits

Postby sschu » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:01 am

All those great "search functions". Well, try finding Range 1 LF who runs 17 and tell me what you get.

I drafted a LH team the other day, Gehrig was on my card, when it ran I ended up with Greenberg and Cash was still on the wire. Autodraft clearly just picked the next available 1B regardless of batting hand.

This is a pre-beta release, we get to spend our credits debugging it.

No thanks.

sschu
sschu

Postby motherscratcher » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:01 pm

^^^And that is truly the main thing that bothers me.

It's disappointing going so long without games, but I can wait. No big deal. And I understand that things happen and there will be bugs that have to be worked out.

But, at $20-25 a pop to be the guinea pig for something that should have gone a lot smotther than it has...I'm not thrilled about that at all.
motherscratcher

Postby FUDU » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:07 pm

Good point.

Maybe the solution to this mass disappointment would be simply 1 credit to each user who had a team in draft status or in a running league status?

I'm not overly concerned about getting something back, but the gesture would go a long way in restoring credibility and faith, no?

I mean get me back up in a plane already, I feel like Maverick after Goose died.
FUDU

Postby voovits » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:38 pm

[quote:3df913e29c="sschu"]I drafted a LH team the other day, Gehrig was on my card, when it ran I ended up with Greenberg and Cash was still on the wire. [b:3df913e29c]Autodraft clearly just picked the next available 1B regardless of batting hand[/b:3df913e29c].

This is a pre-beta release, we get to spend our credits debugging it.
[/quote:3df913e29c]

What's so different about the way this was handled now as opposed to the way the old site would have handled it? That's not a pre-beta issue, it's the autodraft working as intended.

I happen to be a fan of the autodraft as it works and hope that its basic functionality stays as is. I would not object to a way to enter 1 or 2 alternates per pick though.
voovits

Postby Salty » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:50 pm

1)That would depend on which version of Greenberg he got.

2) The auto-draft is NOT working quite the same way.
I believe that I got Pete Rose as a comp pick for the cheaper Alomar- that didnt used to happen- I do know that I did not get someone who was listed as their primary position as 2b for him- Rose was the only one who I think was 2b eligible.

3) We do know the RPs comp was not working properly for months- as there would often be higher priced RPs left on waivers than what were recieved. So, there is some history of it not working properly-
although I do believe that particular issue did get fixed.
Salty

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats