Credit/Criticism

Re: Worst analogy ever!

Postby bkeat23 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:56 pm

[quote:a31157c024="coyote303"][quote:a31157c024="nevdully's"][quote:a31157c024]But when you malign someone and question their integrity you cross a line that should not be crossed. [/quote:a31157c024]

Hmm, has that happened here. I think the worst that's been said is he was incompetent (Petrosian) and I know I suggested he's maybe not the right man for the job.

Look I'm not Webster so I don't know exactly what you might mean by maligned or integrity, but I know as hard as I may try and as well intentioned as I may be, I'm just not the right man to be the Center for the New York Knicks...And in management telling me this they may say I'm not competent enough to fill that position...I wouldn't think I was being maligned, would you. :?

Sometimes the truth hurts (not saying it's true here) but does that mean you don't say it.[/quote:a31157c024]

OMG. You just made your initial insult worse. Are you now implying that Bernie is as out of place doing what he does as you would be playing center for the Knicks? Say it isn't so![/quote:a31157c024]

I played against Alex Bradley in HS, he later played center for the Knicks.
I should say, I was on the court at the same time, that's a more apt description. :lol:
bkeat23

Postby guardian154 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:06 am

I know Bernie is the front man here, but how many people are helping him make this transition? he can't be doing this alone. He may not even be the person who is running the show and that may be a big reason why we are seeing delays and issues. So maybe the criticism is pointed at the wrong person.

A lot of times I see where older code is ported into newer modern technology and hardware and there tends to be issues, incompatibility and as large as this probably was...a few unforeseen problems.

There are a lot of variables here that we don't know about, so I'll hold my criticism till later if at all. From what I have seen so far, I'm excited and can't wait for it to be fully functional.
guardian154

Postby lafayette1 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:34 pm

I anticipated problems even though I'm not technically familiar with the process undertaken here,

I'm not going to criticize for another week or more. Although I must say that if this goes on for more than a 2 week total delay, it's indicative of an underfunded effort by the parent owner of this product.

And that doesn't bode well into the future, and indicates a second rate product.
lafayette1

Postby lafayette1 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:34 pm

By second rate I mean a product run on a shoestring with occasional glitches like this. However, if this requires some major labor expense to fix, we may all be out of here, or possibly lose a good portion of the database. Maybe they don't want to pay for the maintenance and infrastructure required . But.lthis is all concjecture...I dig the game and hope all will be well...
lafayette1

Postby novie » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:18 am

Speaking of the two (credit/criticism) I offer the following.

1. Those of us who have been around for years all know that TSN basically left this entire game in the hands of one person. One person to handle all aspects of the game engine as well as customer service. Those of us in business know just how arcane that is as a model. Many of us, despite time to time frustration, have and should have acknowledged that Bernie has been a valuable asset to this community... even though it has always been apparent that we were never truly valued by TSN as a stand alone customer base. I'm not sure why any of us would have honestly anticipated that SOM would initially have valued this base to an increased degree that the lack of manpower/resources issues of the past have changed to this point in time.

2. The most poignant point I have seen, in my humble opinion, in the arena of criticism is the fact that this new system should have been tested with mock leagues for a week or so before planning the roll-out. Some of us have been used as beta-testers in the past to aid in uncovering bugs prior to a roll-out. This, for whatever reason and to whomevers discredit, was a major dropping of the ball.
novie

Novie

Postby nevdully's » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:33 am

[quote:81a3e4ec28]TSN basically left this entire game in the hands of one person. One person to handle all aspects of the game engine as well as customer service. [/quote:81a3e4ec28]

After being part of a large team of vets gathered and willing to help, coupled with others in the community who have mentioned they too (some multiple times) would help Bernie, only to be rebuffed. It is clear for whatever reason(s) Bernie prefers to do this himself...If things were moving along seamlessly I could better understand he reluctance to accept help....but by his own admittance it hasn't been easy...Knowing this makes it a little harder, not that I don't, but a little harder, for me to have sympathy or patience for his one man show.
nevdully's

Postby visick » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:39 am

It would have been nice to have the transition happening in the background, running leagues/waivers/ transactions for a week or 2, then announcing a transition date. (All while we STAYED @ TSN)

I'm no IT person, so I don't have any idea how that would have happened.

Maybe this is a bad analogy, but in the past before I became a chiropractor, I made sure I had another job in hand BEFORE I switched jobs or asked for a raise etc...

visick
Last edited by visick on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
visick

Postby novie » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:48 am

[quote:1aaa995b61]After being part of a large team of vets gathered and willing to help, coupled with others in the community who have mentioned they too (some multiple times) would help Bernie, only to be rebuffed. It is clear for whatever reason(s) Bernie prefers to do this himself...If things were moving along seamlessly I could better understand he reluctance to accept help....but by his own admittance it hasn't been easy...Knowing this makes it a little harder, not that I don't, but a little harder, for me to have sympathy or patience for his one man show.[/quote:1aaa995b61]

I, for one, use my own lack of knowing the machinations of TSN or SOM, as a reason to refrain from making assumptions and assertions about why an individual may or may not do something.
novie

Postby lanier64 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:58 am

I don't know why anyone thought this would go smoothly. SOM HAS THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE ON THE PLANET. THEY DON'T PUT ANY EFFORT INTO CUSTOMER SERVICE WITH THEIR GAMES (WHICH IS THEIR BREAD AND BUTTER) SO WHY WOULD THEY PUT ANY EFFORT INTO AN ONLINE GAME THAT THEY INHERITED. I KNOW MOST EVERYONE HERE HAS PROBABLY HAD OCCASION TO CALL THEM ON THE PHONE ABOUT A GAME OR AN ORDER THEY PLACED. DID YOU GET SUPERIOR CUSTOMER SERVICE?[color=red:bd1945da73][size=24:bd1945da73] [b:bd1945da73]This has nothing to do with Bernie! Bernie has been great. This has to do with a company (SOM) that does not value and has no respect for it's customers![/b:bd1945da73][/size:bd1945da73][/color:bd1945da73]
[size=24:bd1945da73][b:bd1945da73]I think Bernie should take over SOM. IMHO.[/b:bd1945da73][/size:bd1945da73]
Last edited by lanier64 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
lanier64

Novie

Postby nevdully's » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:58 am

Knowing when Rivs gathered us together if effort to help Bernie, that after a couple of[b:a7b0ad0fde] months of planning and much contact and agreement from Bernie himself,[/b:a7b0ad0fde] that Bernie said he changed his mind because he, not TSN or SOM just wasn't comfortable with it...He could still have some excellent reasons why he turned down help both that time and other times, but at least for that particular time he said "it was just his choice"
nevdully's

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats