Please help a couple of rookies who are new to online Strato

Postby PotKettleBlack » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:10 am

The 14 Year Old

Papelbon (so hard to type that without using any of the inappropriate-for-a-14-year-old jokes on his name) is a so-so idea. I'd prefer someone with an R2, or an R3, especially for that money. This is hard for someone under 20 to understand, but modern closers are massively overpaid and massively overrated. R2-R3 is how the great closers of the 70s and 80s did it, and they created a lot more value. Consider them as better buys. You don't want to spend 4.8% of your budget, 12.5% of your pitching, and nearly 60% of your relief budget on a guy who will pitch 70 IP.

Big Klu is bad money here. Too much BPHR for too few games played in parks with a lot of BPHR. Someone with fewer BPHR and either a massively high contact rate (say 45 HIT chances on the card (not counting BB or HBP)) or a lot of doubles will work a lot better for you than Big Klu.

Robby Alomar doesn't need a backup over $.55. I love me some Harry Lunte... he backs up SS and 2B for $.54 with decent defense. Richardson plus Joost is a lot of excess money.

Assuming you are replacing Klu with a guy who could theoretically play 1B, there is no need for Roy Howell.

Any money saving could go to:
Fixing Papelbon with an R2/R3 solution.
Fixing Klu
Replacing the platoon in CF with one player. I don't hate the platoon, or even dislike it. It's just, if there's excess money, replacing a platoon that sits some money when you play for a guy who can play everyday, always seems like a good idea.

Sorry for any replication. Clear eyes.

Good luck to both of em.
PotKettleBlack

Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats