What's in a name?

Postby LoopsandRolls » Wed May 23, 2012 5:13 pm

I like flying upside down.

My usual manager is Harry Hooper, longtime Postmaster of Capitola who taught every local kid how to play baseball until he was in his eighties.

- Scott
LoopsandRolls

Postby chuckwonup » Wed May 23, 2012 5:17 pm

My strat name is a play on my real name which people will often realize when they get to know me.
chuckwonup- Chuck Wannop

When things are going well or I am winning it can sound pretty good but when its bad... well I don't think I have to explain any farther.
chuckwonup

A O L online...

Postby dwightskino211 » Wed May 23, 2012 7:20 pm

Mine comes from many, many years ago. A wise guy boss used to put ski on the end of anyone's name. When we had office meetings it was " What do you have for me Bruceski, Tomski, Dwightski etc." So when I joined up on AOL online ( I can still hear the dial up noise!!) I combined it with my high school football number, 21 thus dwightskino21, which is Dwight Ski Number 21, somehow it has lasted 15-20 years...
dwightskino211

Postby rburgh » Wed May 23, 2012 7:36 pm

My handle reflects my location - the r is for the Rocky Mountains, where I currently live (Denver), and the burgh is for my roots in Pittsburgh. My wife and I stopped in for a nice visit with Dacelo last December when we were back home for my father's funeral (he was 91, so he got his money's worth on this ball of rock).

I use real cities for most of my team names, although I went through a Harry Potter phase. One of these days I plan to go through the list of fictional Quidditch teams posted on the web. For now, I am mostly using world capitals, with mascots that are usually plays on words, and manager names that have some bearing on either the city or mascot.

My best team name and manager, though, was my entry in the Petro-Weinberg challenge league, which I called Morbid Curiosity. It was managed by Izzy A. Voyeur. I may just make Izzy my permanent manager, although I am partial to Don's Ham Sammitch as well.
rburgh

Postby rburgh » Wed May 23, 2012 7:42 pm

[quote:a63087e8a3]When Clinton first became president a reporter asked him who some of this favorite musicians were.
Clinton responded with Thelonius Monk.
The reporter then asked him the following:

'So, who exactly is the loneliest monk?' [/quote:a63087e8a3]

Geez, I haven't listened to him in years. Smack me upside my head! I have some good Coltrane and Bird, as well as the Marsalis family, Harry James, Dizzy Gillespie, and Louis Armstrong. But my favorites are Brubeck and Carlos Santana (the musician, not the catcher). I love the wacky rhythms. And I'm also into very hard rock.

I was a tolerable trumpeter in high school, but haven't picked up my horn since I graduated. Some years ago, I bought a pretty good clarinet on e-bay and was starting to get decent, but then it started wheezing and I have not bothered to get it repadded.
rburgh

Postby ADRIANGABRIEL » Thu May 24, 2012 6:19 pm

I have never had a nickname so, for various reasons, I prefer being myself. Apparently, I am quite an ***.

I did, however, attempt to put some thought into my team names whether it was some association with the league, my players, a theme, or what I was doing at the time.

I will never beat [url=http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/atg2/team/team_other.html?user_id=105197]Mom's Apple 3.1415926535897[/url] in ATG 2. The pitchers ended up with a 3.14 ERA.
ADRIANGABRIEL

Postby Munich_Man » Thu May 24, 2012 7:01 pm

Hmmm... I live in Munich, I'm male (last time I checked).

Fantastically creative, if you ask me.
Munich_Man

Postby andycummings65 » Thu May 24, 2012 7:30 pm

Would be [b:fd4671a519]more [/b:fd4671a519]creative if you [b:fd4671a519]DIDNT [/b:fd4671a519]live in Munich, and you [b:fd4671a519]WERENT [/b:fd4671a519]male, dont you think? :D
andycummings65

Postby Roosky » Thu May 24, 2012 9:50 pm

My username was given to me by a youth minister in high school and it was a play off of a Rob Schneider skit on SNL were he was the guy that called everyone nicknames while they were making copies. My name is randy and it would go something like the rand man making copies and then 10 other nicknames would follow and eventually what stuck was Roosky.

Most my teams are the Larkwood something's or O'roark something's which are 2 streets I have lived on. And I do a lot of Redlegs because obviously I am a big Reds fan.
Roosky

Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats