What's in a name?

Postby hackra » Wed May 23, 2012 1:13 am

I'm feeling part of the boring set. hackra...last name and my initials. Almost as creative as the Barnstormers Champ.

Amazing Kittens were my first ATG division winner (named after a cat my wife was fostering gave birth in our closet)....I've had a lot of Kittens teams since then. The Kittens with Attitude got me my first ATG ring.

some other favorite team names...Felonious Monk, Insignificant Specks, Blatant Copycats, Red Hot Glovers, Ace of Bases.
hackra

Postby Placenta Pie » Wed May 23, 2012 8:34 am

Get your puke bags ready....

Back in HS, we had a kid in our school who's mother was a prolific baby maker, 13 to be exact (yes, they were Catholic). Well, he told me a story that with that many kids, they had to make use of whatever food source was available - remember, this was back in the late 60s/early 70s. Anyway, after each birthing, mama would bring home the placenta and make various dishes; soups mostly, but he also mentioned a PIE. Well, I guess the story never left me, ergo the name PLACENTA PIE!

Cue the hurling sounds.........
Placenta Pie

Postby Neil Toomey » Wed May 23, 2012 9:07 am

Mine is a word play. In my dreams I imagine every opponent's team bowing to mine. Hence...Neil Toomey (Kneel to Me).
Neil Toomey

Postby Salty » Wed May 23, 2012 9:27 am

[quote:5a168076fa="hackra"]
some other favorite team names...Felonious Monk, Insignificant Specks, Blatant Copycats, Red Hot Glovers, Ace of Bases.[/quote:5a168076fa]

I LOVE Felonious Monk!

I had one called Thelonius a-Salt 8-)

When Clinton first became president a reporter asked him who some of this favorite musicians were.
Clinton responded with Thelonius Monk.
The reporter then asked him the following:

'So, who exactly is the loneliest monk?'

Sadly, this is a true story.
Salty

Postby Treyomo » Wed May 23, 2012 9:49 am

Treyomo is a bastardization of the Italian treuomo, or 3-man, a nickname given me by a spicy little Italian co-ed after a lengthy night of drinking dice my freshman year at Wisconsin.

Many of my team names are homages to Steven Wright:

East German Shepherds
Poison Ivy on my Brain
Microwave Fireplace
Court Jester Sized Bed
Bucky Goldsteins
Treyomo

Postby dharmabums » Wed May 23, 2012 9:49 am

Back in my youth, when I had a 1980 850 Yamaha, which was my only ride, I was heavy into the Kerouac road-zen stuff. dharmabums is from one of his "other" books. A lot of times my team manager name is Sal Paradise, the main character in On the Road (I can't believe they've made a movie from that book). I have since found out that Dharma Bums is also the name of a rock band from Portland, OR. At one of their concerts, according to wikipedia, Courtney Love and Kurt Cobain met.
dharmabums

Postby PotKettleBlack » Wed May 23, 2012 10:02 am

I once saw a woman at the LA zoo, who easily tipped the scales >300 if not 400, say to her overweight to obese kid, "There's the hippo... look at how fat he is."

The phrase "Pot, Kettle... Black," popped into my head at that moment. It stuck.

I try to make the manager name of the team match the team name in some way. So, current team in Cleveland is Wally and the Beav, so the manager is Ward and June. Have been tending to make managers non-proper nouns lately, like "some guy" or "a random fan" because I like the way it reads in the boxscore.
PotKettleBlack

Postby Sheikyerboudi » Wed May 23, 2012 2:02 pm

Pretty obvious - big Frank Zappa/Mothers fan. Manager's name is usually Sheik Yerboudi from the albumn of the same name. Have used team names based on the Si-Fy series Firefly (Reevers BBQ for one) and Lebowski (Mark It Zero Dude).

-FZL
Sheikyerboudi

Postby wavygravy2k » Wed May 23, 2012 3:01 pm

At the time, way back in 2001, I thought it was a cool name because it was sort of unique. Not sure I like it too much now cause people might think I'm a political activist from the 60s.
wavygravy2k

Postby Valen » Wed May 23, 2012 4:28 pm

Obviously Valen comes from the Babylon 5 series. Most of my team names these days come from the BuyMore store from the Chuck series.

Used to always pick team names from a variety of scifi series. Might pick something like Klingon Warriors managed by some famous Klingon. Then would try and build a team to fit what a team full of Klingons might be.

A Klingon based team would be built around power in a bomber park.
Romulan Warbirds might be built on speed.

Pretty much ran out of series and imagination so now just do the BuyMore Intersects for most teams. LOL
Valen

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats