Josh Hamilton

Josh Hamilton

Postby Valen » Tue May 08, 2012 10:13 pm

Rangers figured out a way to get his fantasim card in the lineup.

Last AB last night was a HR and had 4 HRs plus a double in game tonight. I keep thinking I have seen how good he can be and he just keeps blowing my mind with new accomplishments. It really is a privilege to watch him play every night.

He is now the 15th or 16th player to hit 4 HRs in a game. There have been more perfect games than 4 HR games.

An interesting trivia point I heard 2 of those was pre-1900. Bobby Lowe in 1894 and Ed Delahanty in 1896. It would be about 36 years before it would happen again. Those 4 by Lowe were a big chunk of his 71 career HRs.
Valen

Postby supertyphoon » Wed May 09, 2012 4:31 am

Curtis Granderson almost had a night like Hamilton's last month. 3 HRs in the first 4 innings I believe, wound up 5-5 but only 4 RBI. If the game is close it's hard to get good pitches to hit when you already have 3 in the books.

Kudos to him for turning his life around and using his god-given talent before it was too late.
supertyphoon

Postby LMBombers » Wed May 09, 2012 5:48 am

Hamilton joins the ranks of legends like "Hard Hittin" Mark Whiten who have accomplished this feat.
LMBombers

Postby rburgh » Wed May 09, 2012 6:09 am

How about Pat Seerey and Bobby Lowe?
rburgh

Postby macnole » Wed May 09, 2012 1:41 pm

As much as I'd like to, because I think Hamilton is an act--not necessarily a class one--but I can't disparage an accomplishment of 4 homers in a game. That's pretty damn special.
macnole

Postby N Texas Widowmakers » Wed May 09, 2012 2:10 pm

[quote:2b7d327550="macnole"]As much as I'd like to, because I think Hamilton is an act--not necessarily a class one--but I can't disparage an accomplishment of 4 homers in a game. That's pretty damn special.[/quote:2b7d327550]

Obviously you don't see the Rangers play on a regular basis. Josh is the real deal. He has personal short comings just like any of us. He is active in the local community and loved by most baseball fans in the Dallas Ft Worth area. His greatest baseball fault is that the game comes too easy for his talent. This is a contract year and he seems very focused.
N Texas Widowmakers

Postby Valen » Wed May 09, 2012 2:58 pm

Josh has always played exceptional when healthy. Contract year or not he gives top effort and does whatever is needed to make a play. If this were just a one game fluke like Whiten would not be impressed. But Josh is doing something spectacular at the plate or in the field almost every game. That is why I feel fortunate to have privilege of watching him every game.
Valen

Postby Mr Regulator » Wed May 09, 2012 4:41 pm

[quote:427af71f67="rburgh"]How about Pat Seerey and Bobby Lowe?[/quote:427af71f67]

How about Gehrig, Mays and Schmidt? :twisted:
Mr Regulator

Postby FRANKMANSUETO » Wed May 09, 2012 4:49 pm

I was thinking Joe Adcock and Bob Horner. :? :wink:
FRANKMANSUETO

Postby Valen » Wed May 09, 2012 7:25 pm

Part of the fun of this Hamilton feat is the stories and talk surrounding it. This is one from the Dallas Morning News.

When Shaun Green accomplished this with the Dodgers there was a 22 year old kid hitting in front of him. That kid's name was Beltre. Same kid years later is hitting behind Hamilton. How lucky is that to be teammates with 2 of the 16 guys to have done this?

Elvis was on base for each of the 4 HRs. Once on a walk and once on a bunt single. Forget how he got on the other two. So how much was the possibility of him running a distraction for the pitcher contributing to the 4 HRS. Many might say none. They may be right. But I love the running game so I am giving Elvis credit for all 4. That is going to be my story and I am sticking to it. :lol:

Another story talks about Monday Josh was not hitting as well as he wanted. So after his third AB he drops in to the video room and notices his swing is a bit long. He went up for the last AB reminding himself to stay small or short, forget which word he used. But that really highlights one of the changes in baseball over the years. When I grew up watching baseball players had no such tools. Just one of the ways technology which we often take for granted has changed the sport we all love.
Valen

Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats