in season player moves...

in season player moves...

Postby dwightskino211 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:18 pm

I just completed a 100 mill season and had the urge to make a roster move or two at game 80. I dropped M Grant ( a favorite), as well as N Briles and J Merritt. I picked up G Nolan, A Worthington and W McEnaney. They went a combined 23 wins, 7 losses and 9 saves the rest of the way. They turned an ordinary team into one that ended tied for best record in the league 96-66, plus they beat the eventual league champ like a drum, going 17-12 against them, including 9 straight wins during the season, but alas, losing in the semis to them 2-3, in a five game set. A very rewarding season, so the question is who else has had wildly successful in season moves that have transformed their teams? Usually free agent moves are quite futile and only weaken your squad.
dwightskino211

Postby Free Radicals » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:03 pm

I don't know about "wildly successful " but I make moves and most of the time they make the team better . Its why I'm making the move anyways . Example : Right now I have Bobby Doerr hitting 242 @ FW ' 46 . He has the lowest obp (292) of all the starters and really hasnt contributed all that much . I'm looking at Frey , Whitaker , and Doran right now as a replacement . If he doesn't pick it up by the end of the weekend , a move could be in the making . 70 games in . Some would say I should keep him , while I say , it could be better .
Free Radicals

Postby modmark46 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:34 pm

Doerr is one of those guys that I generally live with, despite poor offense. I figure my team isn't depending on Doerr's bat to win games (if so, I am probably in trouble). So, I figure ANYTHING decent, offensively, I get out of him is a bonus, while I appreciate his excellent MIF defense. Doesn't show up in the box score, but I know the pitcher's love his glove!
modmark46

Postby sschu » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:53 pm

It is generally a bad idea to drop/add in mid season, but not always. I have come to believe that certain high $$ players are "destined" to have lousy seasons, much below even one's lowest expectations, but it is difficult to take the $3M hit. Examples include Ruth with 38 HRs at Polo and Mantle hitting .250 vs RHs at Polo (hmmm, maybe its a Polo jinx!).

That said, I dropped Ruth at game 140 per above, picked up Covington and 2 pitchers, went from being tied for the division to losing in game 7 of the finals.

The other option is to figure out how to beat the guy ahead of you that you MUST beat and make the change. Did that on a Yankee 56 team, dumped Speaker and Mogridge at game 130, got Rettenmund and Palmer and made up 5 games and again lost in the finals.

Anymore I like to try and stay close and then tweak only if necessary after game 120.
sschu

Postby MICHAELTARBELL » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:38 pm

agree with sschu, i have rarely found mid season moves improve the team greatly, actually even slightly.

I find it best to do your homework, bust your arse in the add/drop phase, and then ride with what you've got. Rarely can you do better with a lower salary. I have one exception in my atg2 experience with the following team. Added Hack Wilson about 1/2 thru the season, and ended up improving my offense to a point that I won the championship...

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/atg2/team/team_other.html?user_id=30680

But I could fill a page with all of the moves that I have made that did not make any difference, or that actually sent me even further down in the standings...
MICHAELTARBELL

Postby NEILKAHN » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:07 pm

If my team is doing terrible, usually it helps, but I never know for sure if they would not have done better anyway just by the odds evening things out. Best moves have been when, unfortunately, I have done something boneheaded in the draft, and essentially just correct a mistake, like the time I cleverly drafted Drysdale to pitch on a Fenway team. God only knows how many homers he would have given up if I had let him go the whole season. I stubbornly cling to theme for the duration even when it is obvious that they are going to tank, unless the change can be made within theme, for the most part.
NEILKAHN

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats