Suggestions for Dunn team

Suggestions for Dunn team

Postby MoCrash » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:03 pm

Other parks in division are Dunn, Bennett and Forbes.

Any thoughts about this team?

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/atg2/team/team_other.html?user_id=59071
MoCrash

Postby gamiam » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:59 am

The hitting looks solid, although light on power. Your starters shouldn't just be left-handed, they need to be better at getting lefties out. That way you force the other team to either face your pitchers better side, or suck up the ball park effects. At the very least, Vuck should be swapped for Splittorff or Caldwell, or someone like that. You can afford pitchers that give up BP HRs to right-handed hitters, especially in your division.
gamiam

Postby MoCrash » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:01 pm

Made a major decision to change my approach. Decided to go with more of a budget pitching staff and hitter's line-up.

LF Cobb
2B Gilliam
LF Teddy Ballgame
1B Iron Horse
CF Ott
3B Gardner (RHP), C Mancuso (LHP)
C Mancuso (LHP), 3B Gardner (RHP)
SS Bowa

Figured good IF defense would help my shaky starters, five with * so I can mix and match vs. opponents. Deep bullpen (I'm going to need it) and good quality PHs. Don't know if this will work (I've seen others do it successfully, one leading the league with no pitchers over $1m.), but it could be fun.
MoCrash

Postby sschu » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:34 am

I might suggest a more balanced approach, 4 "decent" SPs, some good LHs and 1 or 2 RHs that kill LHs.

C - are May or Sanguillen or Lollar available?
1B - Gehrig is too expensive and exposed to LHs for Dunn, get Ludes or Judge
2B - Whitaker/Maz platoon is very effective at Dunn
3B - Gardner is OK, Rolfe or Mathews
SS - Pesky is #1, get Bush or a glove guy, Crosetti for Bowa
LF - Again too expensive, JJackson is awesome, Covington is great, but get someone to hit LHs, Ennis, Rett or Cleon
CF - Ott is OK
RF - Cobb

You need at least 3 guys that will hit 30 HRs, team should target 150 HRs total, have 2 LH and 1 RH power guys.

Your SPs need to align with the teams you face, but lean LH. I have done 3 RH SPs at Dunn as everyone else had LH killers. Good rotation would be:

Dean/Ford/Hughson/Pollett
Key - GET KEY
Osteen/Carlton/Stieb/Stewart/Derringer
McGregor/Lolich/Gura/Kaat/Knepper (Knep would be good in your division)

RPs - Nelson is great at Dunn, maybe a $2.5M LH RP, (Martinez/Richert/Baum), Bahnsen is good. Newhouser or Fryman is you have some xtra $$.

Burns is a good bench guy, you can play him at 1B against LHs for Ludes.

FWIIW, sschu
sschu

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats