What is wrong?

What is wrong?

Postby ROBERTRAINES » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:11 am

O'Neil, my catcher, is third in Opponent Steals with 40. But he's 1(-3)e7. So I would assume that he should have less steals against him. This is my first ATG team. Am I missing something?

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/atg2/team/team_other.html?user_id=53430
ROBERTRAINES

Postby GREGGZILIANI » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:58 am

Just out of curiosity, take a look at your starter's hold ratings. I would almost bet they are all in the + range. That gives the runner a bit of an advantage and is factored in when calculating % chance to be safe.
GREGGZILIANI

Postby thetallguy747 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:42 pm

AR, I'm in that league with you. Welcome to Strat. You've put together a really good team for your first one.

To your question: The number of steals a catcher "allows" is not as telling as the success rate against him. O'neill has thrown out 40% of the baserunners as your catcher so far. That's not great, but it's in the margin of being superior for ATG2. More telling is when I look at the teams in your division. There are 5 "AA" base stealers in your division. That alone will drive down your catcher's success rate. So you need to look at it this way: Given the base stealing speed in your division, O'Neill's done a pretty good job of keeping it better than it would ordinarily be.

Kevin A
thetallguy747

Postby ROBERTRAINES » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:02 am

Thanks for the advice. I will take those factors into account from here on out.

tall: good luck in the league. I'm playing the Rapids today. Those guys are doing really well. Hopefully, I'll help your pennant chase with this series. :twisted:
ROBERTRAINES

Postby thetallguy747 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:16 am

I think my MadHits team in that league is beyond help. :?

Never, ever put a team in Fenway '86. This is my second -- and if I can help it, my last. The park gives you hardly any advantage that it doesn't also give the other team. It just so dang fun to watch your team wrack up all those doubles!
thetallguy747

Postby ROBERTRAINES » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:43 am

I don't think that your team is beyond hope, so much as having a run of bad luck. I think Maddox should have a better record. You have scored more runs than you have allowed. I think you are stuck in a crummy conference, but if you can feed on the other guys, you will do alright.

Is there some general rule of thumb regarding the ballparks? Is Fenway considered a pitcher's park? Sorry, I'm still a bit noobish.
ROBERTRAINES

Postby thetallguy747 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:19 pm

Since I posted my lament, my Fenway '86 team has been on a tear. Hot and cold -- that seems to be characteristic of my teams in that park.

No, Fenway '86 is not considered a pitcher's park. Too many singles allowed and not all that restrictive on HR's. To me, to be considered a true pitcher's park, there needs to be 8's or less on the S factor and 4 or less on the HR factor. Of course, the most extreme is Griifth (6-6 / 0-0). For me, the fun part of being in a true pitcher's park is having the Big Bopper teams come in have all those ballpark effect HR's mean nothing -- and sweep 'em by scores like 3-1.
thetallguy747

Postby ROBERTRAINES » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:51 am

I've noticed the tear your team has been going on. Keep it up. You've definately been doing well. I've been doing pretty well lately. If they were in the Central Division, you would have the lead. To be honest, I wish I was in the Central. I'd really like to be able to say that I made it to the playoffs with my first ATGII team.

Does anyone have any suggestions for my team? I've got 1.5 million sitting in the hopper and am wondering how I should be spending it.

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/atg2/team/team_other.html?user_id=53430
ROBERTRAINES

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats