How on earth is this a Win for Lee Smith?

How on earth is this a Win for Lee Smith?

Postby MrHacktastic » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:03 am

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/league/boxscore.html?group_id=160930&g_id=952

Lee Smith is my closer. He came in with a 9-6 lead in the 8th inning so it was a save situation. He gives up 0 runs, I score 2 more and win 11-6. For some reason it says Lee Smith got the win and not the save.

Usually when something weird happens it turns out it is a rare scoring rule or something you guys have to explain to me. I cannot comprehend how this was a win for Smith though. Help me out.
MrHacktastic

Postby chasenally » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:09 am

It might be that since the starter didn't go 5 innings it went to the one that pitched the most and that was Lee. There is a rule for that I just don't know what it is. Wierd that 2 other pitchers were given a hold credit though and Lee after them got the win. I am sure you will get your answer here.
chasenally

Postby MrHacktastic » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:26 am

[quote:61779633f0="chasenally"]It might be that since the starter didn't go 5 innings it went to the one that pitched the most and that was Lee. There is a rule for that I just don't know what it is. Wierd that 2 other pitchers were given a hold credit though and Lee after them got the win. I am sure you will get your answer here.[/quote:61779633f0]

I know the rule you refer to sort of. I don't know the exact rule but I thought it was the first pitcher to be effective after a starter fails to go 5 innings but has the lead. A couple people pitched before Smith and were effective. It makes it extra weird since he entered in an actual save situation.
MrHacktastic

It was on the Internet, so it must be correct

Postby coyote303 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:55 am

Here's what appears to be the rule at this link:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090907221400AAoIfOY

However, it is very difficult to program judgment especially for something that comes up so rarely. Maybe HAL gave him the win since he pitched the longest. A real-life scorer would probably have given the win to someone else in your game.
coyote303

Re: It was on the Internet, so it must be correct

Postby MrHacktastic » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:54 am

[quote:b23bb14619="coyote303"]Here's what appears to be the rule at this link:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090907221400AAoIfOY

However, it is very difficult to program judgment especially for something that comes up so rarely. Maybe HAL gave him the win since he pitched the longest. A real-life scorer would probably have given the win to someone else in your game.[/quote:b23bb14619]

Thanks, I read through that. It says the win goes to the pitcher who was "most" effective. I think you are right that HAL decided on Smith simply because he pitched the most innings of relief without giving up a run making him "most" effective.

That said it's still crazy to have the two pitchers before him get HOLDS, have him come in in a textbook situation, pitch 2 innings of shutout ball and get the W. I was actually trying to get close to Thigpen's save record since that is still in my head the save record for some reason and not K Rod's.
MrHacktastic

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx