Finally got my first 20 game winner!!!

Finally got my first 20 game winner!!!

Postby MrHacktastic » Thu May 31, 2012 11:33 am

I love SP but I haven't been very good at choosing the right players. I had Clemens win 19 games in my very first Strato season on an 81-81 team. My second season had a high of 16. My third team high was 11 (obviously not a good team lol). Well I finally did it thanks to my favorite 86 pitchers...

Floyd Youmans. The only time I won a title he pitched the clinching game 6 while I had 4 starting hitters injured and threw a gem as I had nothing for my opponent in game 7 if I lost. Since then I do what I can to draft him every time. I let him anchor my most recent season and he was the first pitcher of mine to win 20 games.

Way to go Floyd!!! Now he just needs to win his last 2 starts so I can sneak into the playoffs lol.

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/team/team_other.html?user_id=377584
MrHacktastic

Postby durantjerry » Thu May 31, 2012 11:46 am

Is McCullers really 11-4 with no saves and twelve blown saves?
durantjerry

Postby MrHacktastic » Thu May 31, 2012 12:26 pm

[quote:42f039a143="durantjerry"]Is McCullers really 11-4 with no saves and twelve blown saves?[/quote:42f039a143]

yeah but he never pitches the 9th inning. Those are all 7th and 8th inning blown saves. A lot of times he just gave up the tying run and kept pitching since Lee Smith doesn't enter the game in non-save situations. McCullers has been wildly inconsistent with long stretches of good pitching and then long stretches of terrible pitching. He keeps swinging from near 5.00 to high 3's. This is my first time with McCullers. I'm not sure I will take him again in the future at his cost.

It's a basic flaw in relief stats. Somebody blows a hold and they get credit for a blown save. If they are successful they get a hold. Look at Mike Timlin's real career, he is often criticized and people talk about his god awful career save percentage. He had a ton of blown holds all counted as blown saves. So of course he has a bad save % when he can't possible earn an actual save in those situations. Timlin was not great at closing but people should never look at those B.S. career statistics that get shown for him.

Same here for McCullers, I don't think a sing one of the 12 blown saves was actually a save situation. He has 38 holds so really it is 38/50 holds. 76% isn't that bad considering he goes multiple innings.
MrHacktastic

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx