1986 set, has anybody used Bob Dernier before?

Barfield in C?

Postby BlackFinn » Fri May 25, 2012 9:44 pm

What about Barfield in C and finding a new RF? That cannon in C slows up all the fast teams.
BlackFinn

Re: Barfield in C?

Postby MrHacktastic » Fri May 25, 2012 11:36 pm

[quote:001d028387="BlackFinn"]What about Barfield in C and finding a new RF? That cannon in C slows up all the fast teams.[/quote:001d028387]

If I reallocated some money the best RF I can see available is Juan Beniquez. Not much power but will produce around .270/.350 in general. Not very fast either. 2e14 in LF, CF, or RF.
MrHacktastic

Postby pikesvilleal » Sat May 26, 2012 4:09 am

What's not to like about Denier?
1) poor clutch hitter
2) weak arm
pikesvilleal

Postby MrHacktastic » Sat May 26, 2012 7:22 am

[quote:030c88fa84="Pikesvilleal"]What's not to like about Denier?
1) poor clutch hitter
2) weak arm[/quote:030c88fa84]

I certainly don't like those attributes but he is $0.92 and plays a 2e6 CF. He also has 42 OBP chances vs LHP plus 6 BP effects opportunity dice rolls. I really think he will get on base vs LHP and would love to do a platoon with him but Javier isn't seeming like a good enough partner. I think I'll just drop Javier and platoon with Nixon at this point. Reallocate that money somewhere else for an upgrade if I can find one.
MrHacktastic

Postby MrHacktastic » Mon May 28, 2012 1:40 pm

I have decided to keep the platoon intact to start the season. Dernier will lead off vs LHP. Javier will bat 9th vs RHP. I dropped Thompson and signed Grich and Flannery to platoon and I will bat Flannery leadoff vs RHP. My team speed is pretty terrible but that is because my division opponents combine to have Henderson, Coleman, Raines, and Sax all on their teams.

I dropped Oil Can and Stewart and signed Hurst and Tibbs. With my new rotation set-up the way I have it any night where Youmans or DeLeon pitches either Hurst or Tibbs are guaranteed to pitch as well. So my opponents will have to balance -6 Hold starters and Rich Gedman with how much they want to run on Youmans and DeLeon. My bullpen also has great hold ratings. My 4 pitchers who will all throw significant innings have negative holds.

Closer: Worrell -1
Setup: Clear -2
Middle: Snell -6
Long: Aguilera -3

I expect to get blown out at times but I expect to win a lot of close games with my pitching and defense. Hopefully my opponents run themselves out of innings on the bases as well.

If Javier totally sucks I will cut him and sign a backup middle infielder for injury protection. Even with the 20% penalty it is only on $1.37 and won't effect who I would actually sign based on who is available.
MrHacktastic

Postby durantjerry » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:44 pm

Well, so far it looks like our advice re:Dernier and Javier is true to form, but it seems to be working for you so far. How long you going to keep Nixon on the pine?
durantjerry

Postby MrHacktastic » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:06 pm

[quote:1260090c6b="durantjerry"]Well, so far it looks like our advice re:Dernier and Javier is true to form, but it seems to be working for you so far. How long you going to keep Nixon on the pine?[/quote:1260090c6b]

I'm getting a little impatient lol. Dernier has been great but Javier is just as bad as y'all told me he was lol. That said he hasn't made any errors. If I continue to struggle W/L wise I'll make the switch after another few days. I was hoping for Javier to get on base closer to .340. He is at .300. I can live with that if Horner and Canseco start providing some RBI's. If they don't and I need to manufacture runs then Nixon will be in there real soon.
MrHacktastic

Postby MrHacktastic » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:31 pm

I got shut out all 3 times last night: 4-0, 4-0, 3-0. Ouch. After the hot start I am now 2-8 in my last 10 and all the way back to .500.

The monster that is Otis Nixon is taking extra BP today as the head coach is being crushed by local media for not playing him. Could see a change any day now.
MrHacktastic

Postby apolivka » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:27 pm

Well, you also played 4 series in a row on the road which is tough. But, the key to this team is that you have been outhomered by your opponents 29-19. If your division is mostly pitcher's parks this is a rather bad omen unfortunately.

At this point, Nixon isn't really much of an upgrade from Javier. I would think about dropping Aguilera, Nixon, and Javier for someone with some HR/Doubles pop (Dwyer/Jones/RJ Renolds maybe?) Then you could still play Dernier in CF vs. LHP and Barfield vs. RHP. This gives you some real flexibility in picking up a masher vs right handers in either rf or cf.

Even at 5%, I wouldn't drop anyone expensive.
apolivka

Postby MrHacktastic » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:53 pm

[quote:93bc3363a1="apolivka"]Well, you also played 4 series in a row on the road which is tough. But, the key to this team is that you have been outhomered by your opponents 29-19. If your division is mostly pitcher's parks this is a rather bad omen unfortunately.

At this point, Nixon isn't really much of an upgrade from Javier. I would think about dropping Aguilera, Nixon, and Javier for someone with some HR/Doubles pop (Dwyer/Jones/RJ Renolds maybe?) Then you could still play Dernier in CF vs. LHP and Barfield vs. RHP. This gives you some real flexibility in picking up a masher vs right handers in either rf or cf.

Even at 5%, I wouldn't drop anyone expensive.[/quote:93bc3363a1]

It's 20% right now. I will look into that but I haven't been able to find anybody that can actually hit available. I am worried about the HR disparity for sure. Canseco, Horner haven't started hitting for power yet at all. If they get going it will help a lot.
MrHacktastic

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx