1986 set, has anybody used Bob Dernier before?

1986 set, has anybody used Bob Dernier before?

Postby MrHacktastic » Thu May 24, 2012 9:37 pm

I am going to use a platoon of Bob Dernier and Stan Javier in CF in the 1986 set. I have never seen Bob Dernier used before. His card looks solid vs LHP to me as well as he plays adequate defense in CF. I missed out on all my intended CF targets and I'm trying to make due.

Can somebody please tell me how Dernier did if they have seen him used? Is my platoon a pipe dream or can it work?

Bob Dernier:
http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/league/player.html?player_id=32971&year=1986

Stan Javier:
http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/league/player.html?player_id=3182&year=1986
MrHacktastic

Postby chasenally » Thu May 24, 2012 11:05 pm

No idea what either of them cost. If they total 5mil for both not a bad deal. Then you get 2 guys that can't hit for power or throw runners out at home. In the 2011 set you can get that from Granderson for around 7 MIL.
chasenally

Postby MrHacktastic » Fri May 25, 2012 5:30 am

Bpb Dernier is $0.92
Stan Javier is $1.37

Total cost of CF Platoon is $2.29
MrHacktastic

Postby durantjerry » Fri May 25, 2012 6:18 am

I have used Dernier now and then and would again. What's not to like? For the price you get defense, hits lefties pretty well, "N" power and great speed. Javier on the other hand, looks like a sub-mendoza line hitter waiting to happen. As good as Dernier is for the price, he is somewhat often available I think because there are not many good platoon mates for him at the lower price levels or everyone would be doing it.
[url]http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/team/team_other.html?user_id=334431[/url]
Last edited by durantjerry on Fri May 25, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
durantjerry

Postby MrHacktastic » Fri May 25, 2012 9:36 am

[quote:58aa76294d="durantjerry"]I have used Dernier now and then and would again. What's not to like? For the price you get defense, hits lefties pretty well, "N" power and great speed. Javier on the other hand, looks like a sub-mendoza line hitter waiting to happen. As good as Dernier is for the price, he is somewhat often available I think because there are not many good platoon mates for him at the lower price levels or everyone would be doing it.[/quote:58aa76294d]

Thanks Durant. That makes me feel better. I have Otis Nixon as a backup and perhaps I'll just play him vs RHP if Javier bombs. I just don't like Nixon's high error rating as a regular starter. My lineup is fairly deep so I could probably get away with Javier batting 9th if his OBP was at least .300. I was thinking of batting him leadoff but you have me second guessing that.

In general I don't mind if my leadoff guy bats .167 as long as his OBP is .350 or so and he can run. I have Ozzie Smith and Gary Ward that can leadoff instead vs RHP if Javier isn't getting on. I hate moving Ward too high up because of his crazy clutch hitting I prefer him around 5th.

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/team/team_other.html?user_id=387356
MrHacktastic

Postby apolivka » Fri May 25, 2012 12:22 pm

I've seen him used pretty successfully, but with a better platoon mate, like Oddibe McDowell, Manning or Wynne. You know when someone mentions a better alternative is [i:1c03c9ed10]Marvelle Wynne[/i:1c03c9ed10] that you might be in trouble.

Frankly, on that team, I would rather play Nixon out there both ways than a Dernier/Javier platoon. (It would be way more cash efficient as Barfield is a solid CF backup, and there are lots of options in '86 for backups in RF)

First blush though: too many weak rated players to play in Shea '86, in my opinion. Thompson, Cruz, Pendelton, Ozzie, Javier, Ward, Nixon, Tempelton are all weak. I don't think that lineup is going to score enough to win consistently.
apolivka

Postby MrHacktastic » Fri May 25, 2012 1:26 pm

[quote:3102ffb5bd="apolivka"]I've seen him used pretty successfully, but with a better platoon mate, like Oddibe McDowell, Manning or Wynne. You know when someone mentions a better alternative is [i:3102ffb5bd]Marvelle Wynne[/i:3102ffb5bd] that you might be in trouble.

Frankly, on that team, I would rather play Nixon out there both ways than a Dernier/Javier platoon. (It would be way more cash efficient as Barfield is a solid CF backup, and there are lots of options in '86 for backups in RF)

First blush though: too many weak rated players to play in Shea '86, in my opinion. Thompson, Cruz, Pendelton, Ozzie, Javier, Ward, Nixon, Tempelton are all weak. I don't think that lineup is going to score enough to win consistently.[/quote:3102ffb5bd]

I appreciate the honesty. I see your points. All 3 other parks in my division are pitcher's parks that severely limit BP HR. I might be in trouble with this lineup. I'm worried about scoring runs for several reasons. I just don't see the available people out there to replace the holes.

I don't like all the high K guys. Plus with some low BA's I might really struggle driving in runners in scoring position. I hope the high clutch ratings of Ward, Canseco, and Horner help offset this some. My starting lineup is rather weak when it comes to HR power. Only Canseco, Horner and Barfield will hit 20+ HR's. Ozzie is going to hit 0 lol.

My defense is solid and I'm excited about the QS I'll get between Oil Can, Youmans, and DeLeon. If Worrell has a decent save percentage I think my team will have a decent win percentage that exceeds it's run differential projections. I am predicting 81-86 wins. I think I can go .500 with this squad. And 86 wins might take the division the way it's stacked up.

Last time I felt this way about a team I went 71-91 lol.
MrHacktastic

Postby durantjerry » Fri May 25, 2012 2:15 pm

Whatever you do in CF, IMO you do have too many players tied up in CF with Barfield able to play in CF. I tend to agree with Apolivka and would play Nixon while dumping Dernier and Javier. Use the cash to improve in an area that matters because you have given away CF already but you have $3.5 and three players still tied up in the position for players that are not that good. Nixon is also a half decent player for the money, especially if he is your ninth hitter
durantjerry

Postby apolivka » Fri May 25, 2012 3:46 pm

The fact that your 3 other division opponents play in pitcher's parks reinforces my opinion that you have too many weak/low HR hitters. Your park is higher than neutral for BPHRs '86 and the key is to win at HOME.

As durantjerry pointed out, I would put Nixon in the 9 spot, dump the other 2, and get a left handed power hitter out in LF. Nixon is a good value in general, and gets in scoring position enough to contribute hitting low in the order.
apolivka

Postby MrHacktastic » Fri May 25, 2012 4:12 pm

[quote:8489c8e9a2="apolivka"]The fact that your 3 other division opponents play in pitcher's parks reinforces my opinion that you have too many weak/low HR hitters. Your park is higher than neutral for BPHRs '86 and the key is to win at HOME.

As durantjerry pointed out, I would put Nixon in the 9 spot, dump the other 2, and get a left handed power hitter out in LF. Nixon is a good value in general, and gets in scoring position enough to contribute hitting low in the order.[/quote:8489c8e9a2]

If Nixon is batting 9th and I put somebody in LF other than Ward I think my lineup takes too big a hit OBP wise. Who would bat leadoff? Boggs? I suppose he would get on base but he clogs the bases speed wise. Hmmm. I consolidated my bench by dropping 3 cheapies and signing Grich who can backup 1B, 2B, and 3B capably.

The only thing left is my CF situation. The only way I see myself fixing this is to drop Ward, Boggs and Barfield and sign 3 other players for those positions like Hayes, Brett and Downing. I won my only title because Ward drove in 19 runs in 12 playoff games.

Damn, tough decisions right now. I started this thread about Dernier and it turns out my real problem is Javier. If I start Nixon in CF and drop Dernier and Javier and Ward I could play Canseco in LF and sign Ralph Bryant. I hate to play a 4 in LF everyday though. I could DH Grich vs LHP in that scenario.
MrHacktastic

Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx