crazy lucky draft

crazy lucky draft

Postby MrHacktastic » Thu May 24, 2012 8:18 am

Not saying it's a great team or anything. Just shocked I got as many players as I did. I have drafted 5 other teams and always been in the top 3 in waivers because I never get what I'm going for in the draft. I completely used a new drafting strategy that made me uncomfortable but wow it worked better than I dreamed. With this club I got my entire bullpen and all but 2 SP. I got every starting offensive player including DH except the CF I wanted. I couldn't believe it. I pick 2nd to last in waivers but that is only fair considering my draft luck.

Either I got really lucky or I'm targeting the wrong players lol. I tried to draft Browning and Fernandez as my other two * SP. I didn't get them. I traded Clancy for DeLeon even though DeLeon is a non *. I would have just released Clancy anyway and DeLeon is a stud. I now have to fill out two more spots in my rotation with non * SP. Allen may or may not be one of them depending on balancing salaries.

In my starting lineup I didn't get Henderson. Other than that I got all 8 other hitters. The best part is none of them need platoons. I realize Sundberg isn't great but I like his occasional pop and decent defense for the price just fine. I have to decide just how much I want to spend on a CF as a couple higher priced ones are available as well as some cheaper defensive CFs.

My pitching staff looks like:
SP: Jose DeLeon, Floyd Youmans, Oil Can, Neil Allen, ?
CP: Todd Worrell
SET: Mark Clear
MID: Nate Snell
LONG: Rick Aguilera
LS: Brad Havens (I love his card for $0.65)

C: Jim Sundberg (might upgrade)
1B: Bob Horner (my favorite 1B for the $. Always gets 25+HR and 85+RBI)
2B: Robbie Thompson (above average defense, capable vs both handed pitchers, fairly cheap)
3B: Boggs (love Boggs, hence it is also my dogs name lol)
SS: Ozzie Smith (slight injury risk but good OBP and he is the Wizard)
LF: Gary Ward (amazing clutch hitter, high BA, 2 injury rating though)
CF: ?
RF: Jesse Barfield
DH: Jose Canseco (concerned about this spot as all 3 division opponents have pitchers parks and his card won't play well on the road in those places due to it's reliance on BP HR's. Hopefully very high clutch rating offsets this some)

Some tough decisions. Should I drop DeLeon and go for a 4 man rotation? Do I eat the wasted DeLeon salary just because of how good he is and throw him 27 times? Do I throw DeLeon 33 times and eat salary on Oil Can and Youmans by throwing them less? Can I overcome my pitching staff's huge weakness of a complete inability to hold runner's? Lol.

Offensively the big questions are can I hit RHP? Will my lack of team speed play a larger factor due to the division's ballparks eliminating some of my power. Who will play CF? How do I split up my high K hitters? Can I find suitable backups in the frenzy? Can I get runners in from scoring position in pitcher's parks?

This will be a very fun season for me. Who knows how it will go. I have a good feeling about it. Stratomatic is awesome.
MrHacktastic

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx