Can a Starter who Can Relieve....Relieve between Starts?

Can a Starter who Can Relieve....Relieve between Starts?

Postby johnsain » Tue May 01, 2012 9:23 am

Is there a 'rest' mechanism built in?

Anyone had any luck relying on a starter to relieve between starts?
johnsain

Postby artie4121 » Tue May 01, 2012 11:23 am

I'm thinking that if he is your designation rotation, the answer is "no."

I'm also thinking that if he started on game 1, in games 2,3,4 after his appearance, IF he was NEEDED to relieve (extra-innings or blowout) he might show up, but his endurance would be down.

Guys?
artie4121

Postby Jeepdriver » Tue May 01, 2012 11:33 am

If he is consistently starting games every 5th day he will not relieve, except in an emergency situations, i.e. an extra inning game with all your other relievers already being used. If, however, he skips a start, say he hasn't pitched in 6 games, he can and will be brought in to relieve, if you haven't set him in (future) per game starters.

Hope that clarifies.
Jeepdriver

Postby ROBERTLATORRE » Tue May 01, 2012 11:37 am

[quote:b0586542e1="Artie412"]I'm thinking that if he is your designation rotation, the answer is "no."

I'm also thinking that if he started on game 1, in games 2,3,4 after his appearance, IF he was NEEDED to relieve (extra-innings or blowout) he might show up, but his endurance would be down.

Guys?[/quote:b0586542e1]

Yep, if he is pulled into service as a reliever for any reason (planned or otherwise) the fatigue rules reset based on the game he entered as a reliever.

Meaning, if he is an SP* and is going to appear as a starter he needs 3 days rest, starting the day after the relief appearance (or 4 days for SP no *) to pitch without fatigue.

If he is used next as a RP, then relief fatigue rules apply.

At least that is how it is in the CDRom game.
ROBERTLATORRE

Postby gbrookes » Thu May 03, 2012 1:42 pm

I agree with all of the above comments.

There is only one other thing that I have got to work in rare situations:

-If you have a deep starting rotation, where you can pick your starters and have some of them go long between starts ocassionally; and

-If one of your deep starters is a starter/reliever; and

-If that "start-skipped" S/R is a good pitcher relative to your staff; and

-If you don't fill in your projected future starters on the "starting pitcher" strategy page;

Then, I have found that HAL WILL make use of the S/R pitcher AFTER he has served his rest period after his previous start.

The specific pitcher that I am thinking of is Carlos Villaneuva on this team:

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/team/team_other.html?user_id=152802

But I have seen HAL do this in other situations with my teams.

This was one of my favourite teams, because it made a big turnaround mid-season, with some good trades. This team started 24-39, but was 53-46 after that. Villaneuva was one of the trade aquisitions, as well as Chipper Jones.
gbrookes

Postby corey375 » Tue May 15, 2012 12:36 am

I have Ramon Ortiz as a spot starter (vs. certain righty-heavy teams), and can report that:

He started and went 5.2 innings in Game 70, relieved in Game 74 (1 IP) and in Game 75 (1/3 IP), then came back to start Game 79. In all cases he entered the game at full strength.
corey375

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx