Defensive substitution question...

Defensive substitution question...

Postby visick » Tue May 01, 2012 8:08 am

I don't know the answer so...

I've got Ike Davis set to be pulled late in the game. I just realized his defensive replacement, Juan Rivera, is a worse defender than Davis.

Does this matter in HAL's world? Or does HAL just "see" to pull him for another player?

FWIW- I have been noticing when I win, which is rare in this set, Davis has been inconsistently coming out of games.

visick
visick

Postby keyzick » Tue May 01, 2012 8:34 am

Hey Vis -

If you have Davis set to be pulled late in the game, HAL will pull and replace him regardless of whether or not the replacement is a worse defender. (but, as to when and how HAL determines the late game defensive replacement is warranted, is a mystery to me).

I found this out the hard way, when I had a 1B 4 set to be replaced defensively, but didn't realize my only other 1B was a 1b 5, who kept subbing in til I figured out where I screwed up.

I think it works better to instead set your defensive replacements on the Team Settings in order to avoid this, so you can specify who goes where.
keyzick

Postby tcochran » Tue May 01, 2012 9:00 am

According to the help screen in the team settings:

"When you set players to be your defensive replacements, the computer manager will consider using them from the 7th inning on if you have the lead. The probability of them being used is based on how close the game is."

I've used the team settings a good bit for this and find HAL to actually be pretty much on target...
tcochran

Postby Knerrpool » Tue May 01, 2012 2:47 pm

Yes, HAL will definitely put in a worse player if your starter is set to remove. And, I too have found that HAL does a pretty good job of managing this provided your settings are right (except that on one team he keeps switching Bautista to 3B and Bonifacio to RF - still not sure why he's doing that).

My question, however, is if you have a really stud offensive player, should you always set him to be removed if you have a better (significantly better? just a little bit better?) defensive sub, or might you want to leave him in there in case you have to come back in the bottom of the ninth or if it goes into extra innings?
Knerrpool

Postby visick » Wed May 02, 2012 6:41 am

I'm just trying to prolong Ike's visits to the DL.

It seems like he's finishing games alot more than I like.
visick

Postby Neil Toomey » Wed May 02, 2012 1:34 pm

I have Sandoval (2e16) at 3rd (a 3 injury chance). I have him set to be removed for a "defensive" sub, but his defensive sub is Chone Figgins (3e23).
I'm just hoping to maximize Pablo's time off the DL. So far, HAL has been making the substitution, I just don't know if it's worth it since HAL makes these substitutions in relatively close games. I suppose it might work out better if you have a stellar bullpen.
Neil Toomey

Postby qksilver69 » Sun May 06, 2012 12:37 am

Generally speaking HAL will only D-sub if the lead is 3 runs or less.
qksilver69

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx