Strat-O-Matic.com transition info/FAQ

Postby The Last Druid » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:16 pm

I think a big piece of this is why did the game migrate from TSN? If they just dumped it then probably it will simply vanish soon. If it was making money then one would presume Richman, who I believe is nothing but tight- fisted, will want to milk the cash cow.

It does boggle my mind that Bernie refused or ignored free IT help from the community. Maybe he really thinks he can do it alone but his track record strongly suggests otherwise -- at least to me.
The Last Druid

Postby DonFESQ » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:46 pm

I'm not sure what to call it - apathy, incompetence, something else entirely.

What I do know is there was a golden opportunity here with this move to SOM to generate excitement in SOM Online, rejuventate some oldtimers who haven't played as much lately into playing more and god forbid, get some new people interested in the product.

SOM could not have been bothered to put any sort of announcement on their 1991 style website about SOM Online until its delayed launch, no emails to customers generating buzz about SOM Online.

I understand there's a thing called denial but c'mon it's slapping you in the face what SOM's position is with regard to SOM Online. Do you really need a shotgun blast instead of a slap to see it?
DonFESQ

Complaints

Postby oldhat2 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:09 pm

They keep coming....Meanwhile several beautiful enhancements have been added and I think we're close to being back in business! Thats just the way I see it so be careful of foot in mouth syndrome! :?
oldhat2

Postby The Last Druid » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:27 pm

Don, Your points are well taken but...they assume rational self-interest on the part of SOM. I'm not sure I'd credit them with logical decision making given Richman's penurious history. I'm sure they want maximum return on minimal investment but the lack of resources allocated to the game will probably be its undoing. Bernie probably sold himself as the man who could pull it off on a shoestring but I think he's a better salesman than programmer.
The Last Druid

Postby macnole » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:29 pm

[quote:694bb5d7d1="Petrosian"]Don, Your points are well taken but...they assume rational self-interest on the part of SOM. I'm not sure I'd credit them with logical decision making given Richman's penurious history. I'm sure they want maximum return on minimal investment but the lack of resources allocated to the game will probably be its undoing. Bernie probably sold himself as the man who could pull it off on a shoestring but I think he's a better salesman than programmer.[/quote:694bb5d7d1]

I think this is the most plausible expalanation, end to end. Bernie has a big heart and is a self-admitted crappy planner. In fact, the combination above of management wanting low investment/instant gratification and Bernie's "I can give that to you" yields a lack of oversight and control by management.

So again, if their original motivation was to use this game as a springboard to the online age, then it remains to be seen if that strategy is part of any long term vision or business plan they have.

That's giving more credit to management than I think they have earned, but boy wouldn't it be cool to get some investors like us and buy the damn thing. What could it be worth?
macnole

Postby visick » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:53 am

[quote:866833c8a4]That's giving more credit to management than I think they have earned, but boy wouldn't it be cool to get some investors like us and buy the damn thing. What could it be worth? [/quote:866833c8a4]

Count Me In

visick
visick

Postby dalekeener » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:10 am

I am in as well. Let some private money from the people who enjoy the game and would have a vested interested own a piece of the game. Sounds like a plan....
dalekeener

Postby dalekeener » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:14 am

Does anyone have a pie in the sky idea what the valuation for the game would be?

Dale
dalekeener

Postby rburgh » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:20 am

My understanding is that SOM is discreetly for sale, because Hal would like to retire. As far as on-line games go, I would think it would be far more cost-effective to write your own game engine and develop your own player ratings. But with the other online games, I'm not sure how much is in it.

I would guess that somewhere around 20-30 leagues start per week here. At $160 per league (assuming that 1/3 of the entries are with free credits), that's about $3000-4500 per week gross. There's Bernie's salary, and the staff that runs the games and makes the roster updates.

I doubt that this is much of a money-making proposition. I suspect that is why the service is so spotty.
rburgh

Postby visick » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:45 am

[quote:7ad2891007]There's Bernie's salary, and the staff that runs the games and makes the roster updates.
[/quote:7ad2891007]

Isn't that 1 and the same? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink:

visick
visick

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx