Negative feedback for Bernie to take to his new employer

Negative feedback for Bernie to take to his new employer

Postby coyote303 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:19 am

Since Bernie is now a SOM employee, I want to give feedback to him concerning the CD-ROM game and the SOM online web site. I'm not angry about what I'm about to share. However, I'd like SOM to know why they have lost some potential sales to one customer, and I feel like we have Bernie's "ear." I offer this criticism because I want SOM to do well.

1. One thing that does bug the hell out of me is I can only put the CD-ROM version of the game on one of my computers. I want to put it on my main computer and on my laptop computer, mostly for when I travel. Sure, I can remove it from one and add it to the other and vice versa. But what a BIG PITA.

I'd even like to be able to use it on both of my computers at once. What better way could I introduce it to a friend who just might want to pick the game up himself.

Copy protection, unfortunately, is probably necessary for a niche game like SOM. However, their copy protection system and policy is draconian.

2. I have found their web site frustrating. I have literally gone to order the CD-ROM version three or four different times over the past couple of years, and get disgusted and quit. Don't get me wrong--if I absolutely wanted the game, I'd get through it. However, in light of item 1, I've always been on the fence if I really want to shell out the dollars.

So what's wrong? In one case, I filled out all the blanks only to be told I need to create an account. I create one and everything I filled in is gone. I got random errors that I don't know if they were fatal. But hit the back arrow and forward arrow and boom--everything is gone again. Now you can call it a PEBCAK error (problem exists between chair and keyboard) and blame me. But the bottom line is sales have been lost.

In conclusion, I hope SOM will consider allowing users to put the CD-ROM version on two computers. I also want them to be aware their web site may be costing them at least a handful of sales.
coyote303

Postby tony best » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:48 am

I agree totally with the Coyote!! :oops: I would only add that a call to Strat will result in subtle derision and contempt.
tony best

Postby paul.czarnecki » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:27 am

Let's also enter the 20th century and have Strat produce a version of the computer game for Apple computers. I've been playing Strat since 1984 and have never owned anything but Apple Computers. Let's make a version of the superior game for the superior computer. :D
paul.czarnecki

Postby Stoney18 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:29 am

Coyote, I agree with your comments since I travel some as well.

There have been a few discussions in the strat-o-matic fan forum using flash drives or remote access programs to add some portability. I haven't done either myself but it looks like others have.

[url]http://www.stratfanforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6[/url]

Use the search for flash drive and there are a number of threads.
Stoney18

Postby coyote303 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:58 am

Great feedback, Stoney. Thanks.

An interesting observation by Tony. Apparently my decision to use Bernie as a back door may have been justified.

An Apple lover whose online name (initials?) begins with "pc"? I won't debate whether Apple is "best," but I did want to share my favorite tag line. I only wish I knew where I saw it so I could give credit. (I do agree it would be nice if SOM would make an Apple version.)

Mac: Hey, PC. What game are you playing?

PC: ALL of them!
coyote303

Postby voovits » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:02 pm

The problem with giving the ability to install on more than one computer is the problem with people giving the program to friends so they have it without paying for it. There is no 100% foolproof way of ensuring this does not happen.

I dont have a problem adding/removing/moving authentications from one computer to another, but having so many seasons to authenticate is the real problem. First you have to remove each individual season from the first machine, then add each individual season to the new machine. It can be time consuming and annoying.

What I propose is for SOM to develop some sort of unique authentication code tailored to the individual, in which said individual could add/remove authentications from the list.

For example, I currently own the 76/78/83/84/85/86/87/88/91/92/94/95/99/00/04/06 seasons on the CDROM.

What I propose is a way to register an account for myself on the SOM website. Successful account registration will give me a unique authentication code to be entered into the CDROM game. Since it has no seasons linked to it, entering it in the game will be useless as it will not unlock anything.
However, I could now enter each of the above listed seasons on their website and attach them to my account. Now, when I enter my unique registration code in the CDROM game, their server will recognize which seasons I have registered and will authorize the game to use them.
Also, if for whatever reason I want to remove authorization for individual seasons, (lets say, all the seasons that do not have super advanced cards in place) I could go to the website, select the season(s) I want removed from my list (76/83/84 in this example) and remove them. Of course they could be re-added if I change my mind later.

With this method, transferring from one computer to another will be a lot less work. You could still have a similar system in place for offline registration as well. It gets more complex, but it could work.
voovits

Re: Negative feedback for Bernie to take to his new employer

Postby ROBERTLATORRE » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:39 pm

[quote:428f48eeb3="coyote303"]1. One thing that does bug the hell out of me is I can only put the CD-ROM version of the game on one of my computers. [/quote:428f48eeb3]

Bugs me too, I tried the flash drive, and it works, but I became neurotic about losing it or damaging it while ejecting it.

My solution? I play on one computer ;-)

Having developed games requiring licensing as a hobby a few years back, I understand the need and grin and bear it.

[b:428f48eeb3]Another solution is, keep your SOM computer at home, on and connected to the net, then access it using any one of the remote desktop applications (go to my PC etc) from ANY other computer you like, including Mac. This is also a nice option because you aren't constantly authing de-authing (that also makes me nervous LOL)[/b:428f48eeb3]

[quote:428f48eeb3="coyote303"]
2. I have found their web site frustrating. [/quote:428f48eeb3]

LOL, amen brother, but at least they have one now!!! AND they have electronic downloads! It used to kill me to pay $5 for shipping and handling for a season auth code card that should cast the price of a single stamp.

As for using it on a Mac? You can, but you'll to pony up $50 for VMWare or Parallels to run Windows in a virtual environment. It works nicely though.
ROBERTLATORRE

SOM Support

Postby CHARLESBELL » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:21 pm

Just wanted to add my two cents regarding SOM's support folks. I've contacted them at least five times in the past year on email requesting help with issues of just about every kind. The folks there have always been friendly, helpful, and solved my problems.

The website still comes right out of the dark ages, and updating that should be a top priority BEFORE the TSN online game is brought aboard. New customers should see a vibrant, modern site. What is there now is functional, but frustrating as others have noted.

I am close to owning every season that SOM sells, and couldn't be happier with the new electronic purchase/download. It's absolutely fantastic. But they still need to make the authentication less onerous. I also play World of Warcraft and they use a physical authenticator to verify identity that works very well.

By the way, I haven't been to this site in more than two years. I'm looking forward to joining some leagues once SOM takes over. /cheer!
CHARLESBELL

Postby corey375 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:53 pm

I'm no computer expert (which will become obvious shortly), but couldn't they make it so you could put a "locked" version of the game on as many computers as you wanted, but leaving out one little piece that someone could then keep on a thumb drive that would serve as an uncopyable "key" for any of those computers?
corey375

Postby coyote303 » Thu May 17, 2012 9:00 am

There is one other thing SOM does that I think is a mistake. If you buy the computer game, they charge extra if you want color ballparks.

If I were the company, I would want everyone to have this feature. Why? It makes the game look much more appealing. If I show the game with the standard black & white ballparks to a friend, the game makes a tepid first impression.

Also, I own an older version of the computer game. Once in a while, I play a random game. If the game had come with color ballparks, it might make me want to buy a new version of the game. But the game is so visually unappealing.

Now, of course, with a hard core consumer of the CD-ROM version, it won't matter. They will either buy the color ballparks or won't care. But not everyone is hard core.
coyote303

Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx