Postby Palmtana » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:15 pm

I'll carry the torch visick.

De Aza - 169 PA's

vs. LHP 24-37-39; w powered
vs. RHP 35-48-55; 2 BPHR's

2010 Lorenzo Cain - 156 PA's

vs. LHP 30-32-37; w power
vs. RHP 35-43-54; w power

Musta been the BPHR's that tipped the scales. I would have put the rolling eyes in here (I chose De Aza as my first pick in a KL) but in contrast to the great overall product this is a blip. Baerga Lite? Or a mulligan would be preferable Bernie.

[quote:6504959ced="bernieh"]That said, there [i:6504959ced]are[/i:6504959ced] stricter guidelines for the SP/RP's whose SP ratings we remove. They are:

- started fewer than 10 games
- threw less than 40% of their IP as a starter
- are priced at $3M+ (this part is on the flexible side)[/quote:6504959ced]

The stricter guidelines explains why Eveland is excluded from the regular set. In the past all a RP or SP needed was 29 2/3 IP for a card. It's going to be more difficult now to gauge which get carded. More details like the above please.
Palmtana

Postby geekor » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:35 pm

[quote:33ed9d8e1e="Palmtana"]I'll carry the torch visick.

De Aza - 169 PA's

Musta been the BPHR's that tipped the scales. I would have put the rolling eyes in here (I chose De Aza as my first pick in a KL) but in contrast to the great overall product this is a blip. Baerga Lite? Or a mulligan would be preferable Bernie.

[/quote:33ed9d8e1e]

Again, I'd like to know why Lawrie is in the set then. Those 2 have pretty much the same story (actually De Aza didn't get hurt so even bigger there) and yet one is in and not the other.

I'd stop complaining if they just removed Lawrie and Giambi as well then.
geekor

Postby Jerlins » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:39 pm

[quote:6e69e4e937="Palmtana"]I'll carry the torch visick.

De Aza - 169 PA's

Musta been the BPHR's that tipped the scales. I would have put the rolling eyes in here (I chose De Aza as my first pick in a KL) but in contrast to the great overall product this is a minor blip. Baerga Lite?

[quote:6e69e4e937="bernieh"]That said, there [i:6e69e4e937]are[/i:6e69e4e937] stricter guidelines for the SP/RP's whose SP ratings we remove. They are:

- started fewer than 10 games
- threw less than 40% of their IP as a starter
- are priced at $3M+ (this part is on the flexible side)[/quote:6e69e4e937]

The stricter guidelines explains why Eveland is excluded from the regular set. In the past all a RP or SP needed was 29 2/3 IP for a card. It's going to be more difficult now to gauge which get carded. More details like the above please.[/quote:6e69e4e937]

Great example with Cain. I think the issues are mainly from folks in keeper and pre-card draft leagues. I'd find it hard to believe there is much of an uproar from people just playing in auto-drafts. The consistancy on a year to year basis as to who is included and who is not needs to get better. A few years ago I drafted D. Murphy and J. Ellsbury after looking at Wes Helms card in the previous year. It turned out to be a wasted 5th and 6th round pick on the pre-card team.

Again, I can somewhat see the reason behind De Aza (though I disagree). But Perez? How is his omission justifiable when we see the Lawries, the Ike Davis', and the Giambis included. He was their starting catcher a good portion of the year, his PA's are within the threshold of previous NON-CATCHERS that were included, and still has more PA's than all but 49 catchers, a few who "qualify" at catcher, but wasn't their main position.
Jerlins

Postby chasenally » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:47 pm

When I picked my players in my pre draft league I took into account how many players played that postion for that team. I felt like maybe there would be a chance that a borderline player may not get a card for that reason. I don't know if I was right but maybe that has something to do with players not getting cards?
You don't see many teams with 3 catchers but you do see many teams with lots of fielders but then that team sucks and has many high injury ratings. It might play into it I don't know.

Mike
chasenally

Postby joethejet » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:10 am

[quote:e1aab58288="Knerrpool"][quote:e1aab58288]Can somebody...anybody explain Brendan Ryan on SEA for me?

Last season he's under $1 million.

This season, same injury, same card and he's over $4 million?
[/quote:e1aab58288]

I'm not sure I'd call that the [i:e1aab58288]same [/i:e1aab58288]card. Offensively, the 2010 card was really really really bad whereas the 2011 is only really bad. But, yes, the $ difference is pretty substantial.

My guess is that the 2010 card is so bad offensively that he could not be an everyday player and only a defensive sub (despite the fact that he [i:e1aab58288]is [/i:e1aab58288]an everyday player - maybe that's part of Seattle's problem....), whereas the 2011 card is just good enough that he could be an everyday player in the right situation.[/quote:e1aab58288]

Well, I have Ryan as the 10th best rated SS this year and the 25 best last year. I also have him *slightly* overpriced this year and a little bit under last year.

Nothing major if you ask me.

Jet
www.angelfire.com/games5/joethejet
joethejet

Postby joethejet » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:10 am

[quote:142629bb2f="socalchiro"]Especially when we PAY to play the game.

I mean really...C'mon. Put them all in and give them a price.

And don't use Jimmy Rollins as a pricing guideline. $7 million for a guy with no BA/OB or SLG and who can't hit LH's?[/quote:142629bb2f]

Just use unleashed then.
joethejet

Postby mbertolli » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:20 am

Using unleashed is not possible in most keeper leauges as the rules are set out beforehand and can not be changed to suit one player.

It seems pretty obvious that these two players should be in the regular set based on their pa's.
mbertolli

Postby gbrookes » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:51 am

[quote:8f21bb65ee="ShakeyBoomer"]No offense Bernie, because I know how hard you work for us, but the pricing this year is a bad joke. Pedroia, Victorino, Rollins, etc... are all ridiculously priced given how poor to just average they are vs RH pitching. Did someone forget this year that RH SP's still make up 70% of the set. Hitting vs LH's "ain't that important." In addition, the premium charged for the 1 defenders is completely out of whack with reality given their poor offensive cards...[/quote:8f21bb65ee]

I have come to appreciate L balanced hitters way more than I did at first. (1) Your divisional opponents may have a lot of lefty pitchers (2) Even if you choose other players who are R balanced, having the L balanced hitters means you won't be facing as many lefty pitchers as you would otherwise (3) Not sure about this year, but my math on it suggests that the pricing usually assumes that about 75% of the pitchers are RH.

What I think I have been seeing more and more over the last 4 card sets is that the pricing places a higher premium salary cost on good defense in the most recent card sets than it did with the earlier card sets. This theory would explain why good defensive players appear to have higher than expected salaries.
gbrookes

Postby ShakeyBoomer » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:09 am

JoetheJet - without giving away your ratings, can you please tell us if you believe players like Rollins/Zobrist are way overpriced this year? Thanks...
ShakeyBoomer

Postby superflymacdaddyjuice » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:21 am

[quote:5a0f8bddb1="mbertolli"]Using unleashed is not possible in most keeper leauges as the rules are set out beforehand and can not be changed to suit one player.

It seems pretty obvious that these two players should be in the regular set based on their pa's.[/quote:5a0f8bddb1]

The one thing I am certain of is there is nothing "obvious" about the fluke card inclusion/exclusion process. Players with more plates than de aza have been excluded before. I am curios how you find Giambi's inclusion reasonable. What is reasonable about a pinch hitter getting full time plates? is it just because he put up some good numbers when he was juicing?
Last edited by superflymacdaddyjuice on Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
superflymacdaddyjuice

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx