Now playing: The 2011 Season

Postby superflymacdaddyjuice » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:31 am

[quote:7ade9a7c9d="ShakeyBoomer"]JoetheJet - without giving away your ratings, can you please tell us if you believe players like Rollins/Zobrist are way overpriced this year? Thanks...[/quote:7ade9a7c9d]

I think you will find they are slightly over valued because the defensive rating at the premium position is slightly over valued. You ever play the board game? Those 1 ratings matter a lot especially up the middle, but excluding the catcher. Joe you agree?
Last edited by superflymacdaddyjuice on Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
superflymacdaddyjuice

Postby visick » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:33 am

Ahh hell...I more rant I guess...

Sure Joe, using unleashed solves SOME problems.

But, WE are paying $ to play a FANTASY baseball game. How realistic is it when Barry Bonds/Josh Wilson/ Jeff Bagwell etc... mash ATG pitchers? How realistic is it when a guy like Greg Maddux gets hammered and gives up 55 HR's a season? How realistic is it when Pete Alexander walk 6 guys in a game or gives up 60 HR's in a season?

The answer? It's not. It's not suppose to be. It's a FANTASY game. I have no problems paying top $ for a guy like De Aza, Perez, Alonso etc... knowing they could get hurt often.

I said it before and I'll say it again. I honestly believe it makes you a better manager when ALL of the cards are used. I have to weigh the good aith the bad when choosing who to use. Do I risk $7-9 million dollars on a guy who could mash RH's or LH's and put me over the top? If I do, and he goes down for 15 games, what do I do now?...

In ATG, guys are carded with similair #'s. I brought up Gates Brown. I've also use Mark Brouhard a few times. There are so many choices in ATG. Why can't we have the same choices here?
visick

Postby visick » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:34 am

When I played small ball and won, Ryan was my SS in 2010. Yes I suffered with his bat, but he was my cheap spot on the team used for his D.

I see the same exact card in the 2011 set. You get ONLY defense. And yet he's THAT much more?
visick

Postby superflymacdaddyjuice » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:37 am

The unleashed set appears solves all of the problems you mention. what is the harm in having an alternative set that excludes what essentially amount to statistical anomalies from undue influence on the game play?
superflymacdaddyjuice

Postby superflymacdaddyjuice » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:38 am

[quote:78ac40af9c="socalchiro"]When I played small ball and won, Ryan was my SS in 2010. Yes I suffered with his bat, but he was my cheap spot on the team used for his D.

I see the same exact card in the 2011 set. You get ONLY defense. And yet he's THAT much more?[/quote:78ac40af9c]

I think here the relative player pool at the position is far more shallow. it is not perfect but it is not awful. would you agree that the players have to be priced relatively every year?
superflymacdaddyjuice

Postby ShakeyBoomer » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:47 am

Superfly - I don't doubt for a second that the 1's help a lot. I do not agree, however, that they help as much as some people think they do relative to offense. I also do not agree whatsoever that the premium that has been placed on the 1's in the last few sets price-wise is based in reality. The prices for players like Rollins and Zobrist isn't a little out of whack - they are completely off the reservation...
ShakeyBoomer

Postby mbertolli » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:04 am

My point on Giambi is my opinion of why he was included not an agrueement that he should have been (which i believe he should have).

170 pa is about a 1/3 of a season for a regular player. 150 pa for a Catcher is normal and as someone pointed out earlier, there are only 49 Catchers with more pa. less than 2 per team.

Based on previous seasons and card sets I believe they should both be in the set and priced accordingly.

As a regular player of this game a commit hundreds of dollars, many of them to play in keeper leauges. If its a complete crap shoot as to who will get cards and who won't it makes it less appealing to play in these leagues.

The decision to exclude Perez will cost me dearly in two leagues that I have commited to spend $25 each on. If they wonder why peaople leave and stop spending their money on this game this is a fine example.

Mike.
mbertolli

Postby superflymacdaddyjuice » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:10 am

[quote:f5b2d3a3ef="ShakeyBoomer"]Superfly - I don't doubt for a second that the 1's help a lot. I do not agree, however, that they help as much as some people think they do relative to offense. I also do not agree whatsoever that the premium that has been placed on the 1's in the last few sets price-wise is based in reality. The prices for players like Rollins and Zobrist isn't a little out of whack - they are completely off the reservation...[/quote:f5b2d3a3ef]

we can agree to disagree on how far off. I think what happened here (just my opinion) is that they used to under value the 1's pretty badly. I think they just over corrected. In my view a little too much and your view way too much.
superflymacdaddyjuice

Postby superflymacdaddyjuice » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:16 am

bertolli,

I will agree that the perez exclusion is puzzling to me. In almost all cases I can think of a precedent for similar cards being excluded in the past. I can't remember a C with so many plates being excluded.
superflymacdaddyjuice

Postby Stoney18 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:55 am

Thankfully USKL drafts after the set is released.
Stoney18

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx