Now playing: The 2011 Season

Postby Knerrpool » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:12 pm

I agree. I think the debate is healthy. Someone will always be unhappy (and I don't mean that in a negative way - that's just the way it is).
Knerrpool

WHY NOT JUST DO THIS?

Postby geekor » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:36 pm

Why not just do something like this?

http://forums.sportingnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=628560

Just create a poll and let us vote. Why create issues when doing something simple like this would silence any issues?

It's not too late!
geekor

Postby mbertolli » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:10 pm

Good Idea Geekor.
mbertolli

Postby Jerlins » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:58 pm

A few reasons why unleashed is a bad thing in keeper leagues:

1. $200 million salary cap allows you to have your normal player available in case of injury when your unleashed player gets hurt. $ value is meaningless in keeper leagues, unlike in an autodraft when every dollar counts. Honestly, I'd love to be in a league where a player is limited to 105% of his PA's. That would be ideal, and make any argument about inclusion or exclusion of any card a moot point.

2. Managers have made moves, sometimes sacrificing quite a bit, to obtain a "real" player that in all likelihood, will be a player they can count on year in and year out. Losing out in a championship series twice in the 2 seasons with a well thought out LONG TERM team, to a team that had 3 borderline 150 PA players is an ugly thing. Been there already.

3. The spirit of a keeper league is to develop a long term plan with shrewd moves, wise draft picks, and a knowledge for prospects. As mentioned on my keeper league board, if you get lucky and a prospect or player such as Lawrie or Ike Davis gets carded, fine, at least they were on the team originally for REAL reasons.

Now, though I still don't think it's a good idea to include players in the unleashed set in keeper leagues, I'd be willing to play in one as long as the rules are known well in advance. I'd adjust my thinking, knowing there will always be 5 or 6 cards minimal, that could have an impact for the following year. To request inclusion prior to the start of the present year of an ongoing keeper league is unfair to those who have planned long term or have already made trades involving draft picks.
Jerlins

Postby superflymacdaddyjuice » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:08 pm

Amen.
superflymacdaddyjuice

Re: WHY NOT JUST DO THIS?

Postby superflymacdaddyjuice » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:14 pm

[quote:04bdcd2f33="geekor"]Why not just do something like this?

http://forums.sportingnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=628560

Just create a poll and let us vote. Why create issues when doing something simple like this would silence any issues?

It's not too late![/quote:04bdcd2f33]

Won't there still be griping? No matter how the decisions are reached there will still be cards let in that some feel should be out and vice versa. No matter how it is adjudicated there will still be un happy campers. Something this thread illustrates quite clearly is that we are all fairly divided as to who should be in and why. So why continue to have the decisions made by an impartial third party?
superflymacdaddyjuice

Postby chasenally » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:36 pm

I would just let your keeper leagues know now that next year will be unleased. Gives everyone a chance to adjust to it. The Keeper league guys are the most outspoken about this issue. I play mostly Theme Leagues and it is all spelled out before the draft starts.

The Pre Early Draft Leauge I play in I didn't take a chance on any players that might not get a card mostly because I get players that don't get injured much when I can. I did take D. Murphy but also knew he would get a card with 420 AB's.

Don't try to make your Religion fit your standards try to make you fit your Religion standards. :shock:
chasenally

Postby Jerlins » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:55 pm

[quote:fcaed7f931="keyzick"]I actually like the idea of the flukey players showing up in the keeper leagues, primarily because it gives the crappier teams (ie, picking at the top cause they finished in the basement) a shot in the arm for a better chance in being immediately competitive, rather than just hoping some of their keepers develop over next couple years.

It also helps with league turnover, so teams don't get discouraged and not return the following year...there's always a chance![/quote:fcaed7f931]

And it's also those managers who last year drafted Jim Thome in RD 1 and will draft Jason Giambi in the 1st Rd of this year's available draft list, and then wonder why they keep having those "crappier" teams. It's easier drafting those guys than it is drafting a possible long-term 2nd baseman when your present one is 31 years old. Still young by today's standard, but old enough that you need to realize he'll need replacing in a couple of years. A little foward thinking does wonders for those in keeper leagues.
Jerlins

Postby thisisdan26 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:39 pm

[quote:ef89965084="Jerlins"]A few reasons why unleashed is a bad thing in keeper leagues:

1. $200 million salary cap allows you to have your normal player available in case of injury when your unleashed player gets hurt. $ value is meaningless in keeper leagues, unlike in an autodraft when every dollar counts. Honestly, I'd love to be in a league where a player is limited to 105% of his PA's. That would be ideal, and make any argument about inclusion or exclusion of any card a moot point.

2. Managers have made moves, sometimes sacrificing quite a bit, to obtain a "real" player that in all likelihood, will be a player they can count on year in and year out. Losing out in a championship series twice in the 2 seasons with a well thought out LONG TERM team, to a team that had 3 borderline 150 PA players is an ugly thing. Been there already.

3. The spirit of a keeper league is to develop a long term plan with shrewd moves, wise draft picks, and a knowledge for prospects. As mentioned on my keeper league board, if you get lucky and a prospect or player such as Lawrie or Ike Davis gets carded, fine, at least they were on the team originally for REAL reasons.

Now, though I still don't think it's a good idea to include players in the unleashed set in keeper leagues, I'd be willing to play in one as long as the rules are known well in advance. I'd adjust my thinking, knowing there will always be 5 or 6 cards minimal, that could have an impact for the following year. To request inclusion prior to the start of the present year of an ongoing keeper league is unfair to those who have planned long term or have already made trades involving draft picks.[/quote:ef89965084]

THIS THIS THIS
thisisdan26

Postby ClowntimeIsOver » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:26 am

SportingNews.com is proud to present:

Strat-O-Matic Baseball: The 2011 Season ...

What?

...Oh, yeah ... I forgot ...
ClowntimeIsOver

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx