Now playing: The 2011 Season

Postby Ninersphan » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:41 pm

[b:1e91c3f491]bernie[/b:1e91c3f491]

obviously I was typing my post when you posted yours...

I still stand by my opinions.

but if you just say you're sorry for Baerga in 2003, who fits into the Giambi descrpition you just listed, and I'll get off my soapbox. :wink:
Ninersphan

Postby geekor » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:44 pm

Bernie, I think with guys who are close to borderline, not the Parmalee, Blanco guys, is just put a simple poll and see if guys want them included or not, before the set comes out.

you do that with ATG, why not here?
geekor

Postby joethejet » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:45 pm

[quote:fa764c9233="superflymacdaddyjuice"][quote:fa764c9233="ShakeyBoomer"]JoetheJet - without giving away your ratings, can you please tell us if you believe players like Rollins/Zobrist are way overpriced this year? Thanks...[/quote:fa764c9233]

I think you will find they are slightly over valued because the defensive rating at the premium position is slightly over valued. You ever play the board game? Those 1 ratings matter a lot especially up the middle, but excluding the catcher. Joe you agree?[/quote:fa764c9233]

Yes. I've played a lot of the actual dice game it's pretty important. Gets your pitcher off the mound and your team back to the plate.
joethejet

Postby Ninersphan » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:45 pm

[quote:f7f65259b7="bernieh"]
But seriously, someone please tell me why all these keeper leagues who depend on having some of the fluke card exclusions don't just play with the Unleashed set? I don't know much about the keeper league community, and I want to educate myself because I've been asked to support it more.

So I'm already giving you all the fluke cards. Am I not? Seriously, I want to know.

Thanks...![/quote:f7f65259b7]

I suspect, at least speaking for the leagues I'm in, it's because they were up and running before this option existed and changing after the fact would have implicaption on future seasons, when trades involving future draft picks may have already been made without the knowledge of these players being available.

In otherwords, introducing a new factor that would change the value of a draft pick that has already been traded wouldn't be fair to the player that traded it away.
Ninersphan

Postby superflymacdaddyjuice » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:48 pm

[quote:671b175189="bernieh"]
But seriously, someone please tell me why all these keeper leagues who depend on having some of the fluke card exclusions don't just play with the Unleashed set? I don't know much about the keeper league community, and I want to educate myself because I've been asked to support it more.

So I'm already giving you all the fluke cards. Am I not? Seriously, I want to know.

Thanks...![/quote:671b175189]

you would likely find us keeper league owners divided fifty fifty as well. what is working against you here is that most? (a lot) of the keepers leagues were established before the unleashed set was available. so the rules don't allow for it. I would further speculate many leagues voted whether or not to switch to the unleashed set but stayed with the "regular" set. I think what you are hearing now is a lot of sour grapes from guys who gambled on borderline cards and lost.
superflymacdaddyjuice

Postby joethejet » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:49 pm

[quote:9fd6053d54="socalchiro"]When I played small ball and won, Ryan was my SS in 2010. Yes I suffered with his bat, but he was my cheap spot on the team used for his D.

I see the same exact card in the 2011 set. You get ONLY defense. And yet he's THAT much more?[/quote:9fd6053d54]

You're kidding right? His OB v LHP is double what it was last year and almost 100 points better v RHP.
Hit rating last year (l/r) were 503/521 this year 726/613.

Yeah, not an offensive powerhouse, but not a complete zero either.

Jet
www.angelfire.com/games5/joethejet
joethejet

Postby Ninersphan » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:50 pm

[quote:9804cdffed="superflymacdaddyjuice"][quote:9804cdffed="Ninersphan"]

Forget 2 sets, make one, include everyone , then we know, no fuss no muss, no mystery.[/quote:9804cdffed]

more options rather than less... I see you point, but why limit the options?

I wish I could afford to buy you a parmalee jersey.[/quote:9804cdffed]

I haven't even looked at his card, I'm purely in it for the princple of the thing. I did not, nor do not have a single one of the flukee guys on any of my teams.

as I said, release em all,

1 set,
no fuss,
no muss,
no argument every year about who was or wasn't included...

PS I LOVED that Feliz card Bernie made reference to especially cause it was woefully underpriced. :wink:
Last edited by Ninersphan on Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ninersphan

Re: Why did Henry Blanco not get a card

Postby joethejet » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:51 pm

[quote:6ff9a73270="Marklen"]online? He has 100 at bats, and a regular card in the set. For guys in hold leagues, this is a problem.[/quote:6ff9a73270]

The logic was probably along the lines of a small sample size player having an out of the ordinary year. A guy who was a back up all year becomes a starter and top notch player. I think that's the thought process anyway.

Jet
www.angelfire.com/games5/joethejet
joethejet

Postby superflymacdaddyjuice » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:52 pm

Bernie,

Thanks for banging out the new set. I look forward with great anticipation the upcoming improvements. With that said get busy on them and stop wasting your time here with this! :lol: :P
superflymacdaddyjuice

Postby Ninersphan » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:08 pm

[quote:56cd940f88="bernieh"][quote:56cd940f88="socalchiro"]I have no problems paying top $ for a guy like De Aza, Perez, Alonso etc... knowing they could get hurt often.[/quote:56cd940f88]
It's not at all about saving you from your own decisions. It's about avoiding the kind of unrealistic performances that [i:56cd940f88]have turned customers off in the past[/i:56cd940f88]. In 2001 we had Pedro Feliz hitting 60 HR a season, and we heard a lot of complaints about that. We can't look at it from just your perspective - I know [i:56cd940f88]you'd[/i:56cd940f88] be fine with these fluke performances. But a lot more of our casual fans wouldn't be.

[/quote:56cd940f88]

I do have to comment about this though.

2001 was your first year, and your player pricing by your own admission, was WAY out of wack. Nobody used the top closers because they were 9-10 mil a piece. That Feliz card, should have been a 7-8mil card instead of the 2-3 mil it was priced at. ( I for get the exact price, 2.3 I think)

It was, by far, the best value card you guys have ever priced. I suspect many of the complaints were about a 2mil card producing those kind's of numbers wether directly or indirectly. Whereas if it had been priced appropriatly, there would not have been as much to complain about.
Flash forward 10 years, and you do a MUCH better job pricing the players, and that to me is the biggest argument for inclusion of all. Just price 'em accordingly, if the performance meets the price how can anyone complain...
Last edited by Ninersphan on Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ninersphan

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx